Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Black-out question/issue - Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:34 PM
tampa07gt
3rd Gear Member

Default Rear Black-out question/issue - Help

Just got a rear black-out panel off ebay. It was advertised to be the same model that American Muscle sells. The glossy black one. It arrived and it's fit and finish is good but it's just smoked plastic and I can see through it. Problem is I have a white car and IMO it's not "blacked" out when on the car. Did I get ripped? Any one have this http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...out-panel.htmland if so was it just smoked plastic?Can yousee through it or not? Please advise so I know if I should send it back or try and paint it.....Thanks in advance!
Old 03-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Jsierzega
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Rear Black-out question/issue - Help

yeah ive got it, its just smoked plastic. looks fine on mine though
Old 03-20-2008, 11:50 PM
PhattyDre16
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tampa07gt

Just got a rear black-out panel off ebay. It was advertised to be the same model that American Muscle sells. The glossy black one. It arrived and it's fit and finish is good but it's just smoked plastic and I can see through it. Problem is I have a white car and IMO it's not "blacked" out when on the car. Did I get ripped? Any one have this http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...out-panel.htmland if so was it just smoked plastic?Can yousee through it or not? Please advise so I know if I should send it back or try and paint it.....Thanks in advance!
Hey tampa, I don't have one but i've seen one and it's definately smoked transparent plastic. What you could try is painting it with smoke lens paint. I just ordered some off AM for my side marker and 3rd brake lights. I think it would work on that, I mean, it is kinda like a lens right?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Pantera72
4th Gear Member

Just paint it if you dont like it. The Moss/AVS tail-light bezels came the same way and I simply painted them using duplicolor trim black paint.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

yes, I believe that one is transparent, but works okay on darker colored cars, like in their ad.

I like the look of painting the whole exterior of it flat black, but you might want that shiny surface.
You can paint the inside of it black before installing.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:07 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...nwespoiler.jpg

honeycomb blackout FTW!
Old 03-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

I would've recommended a vinyl rear blackout, as they had both flat and gloss versions and they fit great.....

but it appears they're not sold anymore, at least not anywhere I can find...[&:]
Old 03-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Rat GT
2nd Gear Member

I have that same panel and I'm a bit hesitant to stick it on in case the white shows through too much. I think what I'm going to do right now is to stick it on with small pieces of tape just to see what it looks like before mounting it with the 3M stuff. Worst comes to worst, I'll have it painted with the rest of the add-ons.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:44 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hijack this thread...J

Joolander - I've been trying forever to place a picture in my singnature. I've changed the IMG to image and still can't get it to work. trying to take a picture from photobucket.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

ORIGINAL: mdg

Sorry to hijack this thread...J

Joolander - I've been trying forever to place a picture in my singnature. I've changed the IMG to image and still can't get it to work. trying to take a picture from photobucket.
i've been having trouble with photobucket lately too, it wont let me upload photos, so i've had to use imageshack [:'(][:@]

Quick Reply: Rear Black-out question/issue - Help