Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No "cackling" exhaust allowed!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:38 PM
gm_baker2000

Default No "cackling" exhaust allowed!!

I gotta 06' stang and am dealing with some new mods: increased stroke of 3.75-3.80 inches and newer port'd heads are in the near future. I have searched "you-tube" and have heard many sounds. My biggest concern is to not bolt on a "cackling" sounding exhaust. I do know that I prefer the "h" pipe sound as opposed to the "x" pipe sound. I have read that there is a drop in HP and TQ when going with a "h" configuration. I am ok with this idea, and am confident that it will be made up in tire to track configurations. At least I hope? Anyway, the best sound output I have heard this set-up is from "hooker long tubes, a pypes H-tube,and a borla catback. I am interested in listening to othermembers comments that are into listening to these throatier sounds.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:14 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: No "cackling" exhaust allowed!!

You'll find that cackling on these cars is more a result of open pipes... Any chambered muffler should stop that from happening.

No drop in power going to H pipe because the stock setup is already an H pipe... And, on the flip side, theres not much gain going to an X pipe, or a prochamber or any H pipe... Maybe 2-3 HP going to an X pipe.

The big gain is going with catless longtube headers leading to an X pipe. Then you're talking. And catless cars may sound nasty, but keep those stock mufflers or a nice chambered muffler and it would sound clean and sweet.

Only go open pipe or straight thru mufflers if you're not planning on doing much in front of the axlebacks.... (to avoid roaring/screaming/cackling)

People on here will help you more than I had to offer but this will give you another opinion to weigh in.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:22 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

check out the exhaust guru's write up, he explains it better than anyone. and if you look under Mac boomtubes there are a couple of my exhaust vids in there.
https://mustangforums.com/m_3563477/tm.htm
my suggestion: BOOMTUBES!!!
Old 03-21-2008, 09:28 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Yeah I installed boomtubes tonight... awesome stuff... but im skeptical that they would sound clean enough with other exhaust mods like the OP is looking for.

I kinda think ford's GTAs (louder version of the stock mufflers, used on the Shelby and Foose) combined with o/r longtubes and X would give the best and cleanest sound for the OP
Old 03-21-2008, 09:31 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

If you go with an offroad H-pipe and stinger mufflers (Borla, FRPP), you're going to get a huge double trumpeting noise when you start off. Listen to this video. This is EXACTLY how it sounds. I hated it and sold my H-pipe the day after I installed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHSSTFtlJw8

BTW, X-pipes can sound good if catted and paired with the right muffler.

Not sure what "cackling" means when it comes to exhaust.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:07 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Yeah I installed boomtubes tonight... awesome stuff... but im skeptical that they would sound clean enough with other exhaust mods like the OP is looking for.

I kinda think ford's GTAs (louder version of the stock mufflers, used on the Shelby and Foose) combined with o/r longtubes and X would give the best and cleanest sound for the OP
yea, the BT's are a little rough and rugged, some popping on decceleration, but i like that!!!
Old 03-21-2008, 10:34 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

OMG, I just heard the Cervini's side-exit kit for the first time today in person (on my car - LOL) when I dropped in on my body shop..

The rest of my exhaust is stock, just the side-exit kit, and it sounds BAD ***...

Go for it!!

Pics: http://mustang.dnsalias.com/pics/lis...r+03%2D21%2D08