Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling the GT...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:04 PM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Selling the GT...

ORIGINAL: Qusus

Hey man, I gotta say, some of this advice is just straight up freakin' terrible. Not trying to be a jerk, but some of these posts about how much the car is worth is not even in the ballpark. Just tryin' to keep it real.

The best advice so far were the guys tellin' you to keep the Stang and pay it off.

Right now, you can buy a new GT Premium for around 24K, so the idea to start at the KBB value and then add the cost of mods on as a "starting point" is ludicrously high. When you're selling private party most people won't even look at a car that's been modded because they aren't sure about the quality of the mods and/or think that modded cars have been treated harsh. Whatever money you've put into the car in the form of mods won't add value to the car but will only serve as a deterrent for buyers.

If you're dead set on selling the car either price it like a normal Mustang GT with 30K miles, which is about 18K-19k give or take, or sell off the parts individually, return the car to stock and price it the same. If you can manage to do the latter AT ALL that's what I'd do so I can recoup some of that mod money.

The economy is in a recession. Ford does not have Mustangs flying off the lot. In response to that, they now offer $3500 rebates. If you like sticks, and can live with cloth, a GT deluxe has $2k to be taken off to get it close to invoice then subtract the rebate and you are into a brand spankin new GT for around $21,500 before taxes and tag. That is where you begin, don't get all pumped about your IUP or leather, a brand new GT for that price. That is called market value and Ford has set the value for you. Now, put yourself into a buyers shoes. What would you do?

Want the looks of a stang but don't care if it's an 8, the sixer deluxe can be had in the $15ks.

This is an excellent time to be a buyer. if that's the case, then the exact opposite must be true for sellers and dealers are included as sellers.

This will leave a lot of people upside down (owing more than it's worth)

Oh, and places like KBB, Edmunds and nadaguide do not reflect current market value. If you want that, find a wholesaler who has their finger on the pulse of the market.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:32 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TrIpOd

Hey fellas, I've been thinking about selling the2005 GT and getting something more luxurious like a Benz or something.
My question is, with around 30,000 miles on my car, what do you think I could get for it selling privately? I'm not going to the stealership to get ripped off. The only thing is my car is modded somewhat (look at sign) and don't want to just throw away 9gs.Please don't tell me to take off the mods and return it to stock because I don't have the stock parts. Any thoughts?

Dude, if that's your WHOLE mod list and you've got $9k into that thing, then you got ROBBED somewhere...

For $9k you could have had yourself a blower and some nice 10" wide rears with stickies on them, and still had enough money for gas and insurance for a season...

But, to address the original question, I'm with the guy who said keep it, and get the Benz when it's paid off. Me? The DAY this thing is paid off my *** is going to the Bimmer dealer up the street and get a nice 535xi..
Old 03-23-2008, 02:27 AM
rcj2000
3rd Gear Member

if u paid 9gs for those mods you got RIPPED off.

I just had my car appraised and its a 07 GT with Hurst, CAI, Full Exhaust, and CDC. I have 12k miles and i was appraised at 18k. Mods normally take away from the value and it is a buyers market right now. Also with the way gas is going up V8s are not worth as much as they use to be.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:24 AM
flg2010
1st Gear Member

I think for private Sale you going to end up with a long wait and at best 16k in this market. So maybe a trade-in is best.

Sadly used cars are used cars and they loose vlaue. Obviously special editions will keep value better.

A3 year old GT Prem with a handful of "tasteful" mods and 40kish miles will trade-in at the "stealership" for around $15k. Add 2k for 2006 and another 2000 bucks for a '07.

The trade-in valuesand sale values for mustang GTs tend to be higher then say a honda accord or anissian altima.

I buy a new car every 3 or 4 years, I save 5k a year toward the new car add in my trade-in and finance the rest. I try not to talk abotu my trade-in before I have a deal on price. So if I was going to go for say, a 47k car in 2010. I would have 15k cash down, a 15k trade in and my financing would come to 20k. Although I may just primate sale my car and go in with cash since 2 -3k less of a fiancing is always a nice thing.

At this point it seems that Ford may be in trouble because I am seeing an awful lot of GT500's on the lots and dozens of GTs. I'm feeling like I basiclly got ripped off for paying around 33k for my GT Conv. I'm glad I didn't get the Nisimo though.. it would have been 3k more and worth even less after 3 years if ebay auctions is any indication.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:47 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

you're buying a mercedes and are worried about getting your money back from the mods? you better stick w/ the mustang bc mercedes is for rich dudes who can throw crap loads of moneyaround like it were dollar bills at a bachelor party. so doesnt sound like your ready for a mercedes.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:54 AM
Chazz0812

What'sa matta - ye old Ford not getting your dick hard anymore? Think you'll get that high class chick in bed w/ a Benz?
Ain't gonna happen, pimples. Look at your ugly *** in the miror and GET REAL.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:51 AM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

Sorry, unless you can get find a Stang fan with a hard*n for those mods, these cars aren't worth a bunch. I'd consider keeping the Stang (you ARE gonna miss it if you sell it) and buying a high mileage Caddy CTS or something to pimp in. It'll cost you close to the same in the long run.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:48 AM
MUSTANGLOVER73
3rd Gear Member

keep the car or take off the mods and sell them to us!! Thats the only way you will recoupe youre money. To the average joe blow these cars are just a cool looking sports car...they arent mod fanatics like most of us on here. We are the exception...not the norm. When ive traded in cars in the past that haveeven the smallest mods the dealer has asked me if i had the original parts. Hell, i had a guy ask me if i had the original rims and tires for one of my oldermustangs i traded in a long time back instead of my nice new chrome ones. He said that people think ifits not changed then somebody hasnt been "hot rodding" it. He even told me he'd giveme more money for the car.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:18 AM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

It has been discussed on the forum and zillion times that mods cost $ when you put them on and decrease the value of your car and in some cases make it very, very difficult to sell. So if you want to play you pay!!! If you want to mod, keep your old parts to put back on when you need to sell. In this economy your circumstance can change fast so who knows when you might want to sell your car. Play it safe and keep your old parts!
Old 03-23-2008, 08:24 AM
FlaPony
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chazz0812

What'sa matta - ye old Ford not getting your dick hard anymore? Think you'll get that high class chick in bed w/ a Benz?
Ain't gonna happen, pimples. Look at your ugly *** in the miror and GET REAL.

Dang dude that's pretty harsh. I can see from the amount of posts, you're a noobie. The man was asking us our opinion of selling his Mustang and you flame him. If you don't have anything of value to add then why post anything at all.

Quick Reply: Selling the GT...