Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mods-3M Custom Install-PICS

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New Mods-3M Custom Install-PICS FINAL PICS

looks good!
I understand your concern about not wanting to attach the brackets to your paint but will they have enough grip if attached to a 3M clear tape? How secure is the tape attached to the car's paint?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:08 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Old 03-24-2008, 01:54 AM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

well played. looks good.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:15 AM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

looks good!
I understand your concern about not wanting to attach the brackets to your paint but will they have enough grip if attached to a 3M clear tape? How secure is the tape attached to the car's paint?
That was my original concern, but when the 3M material is completely adhered, it is very difficult to remove, you need heat and elbow grease to remove it. In addition, just think about the adhesive surface area you have to work with. It's not a problem, on my CDC chin, the 3M tape which hold rhe front lip, is attatched to the front facia where my 3M clear bra was installed first, it's a rock. Good question though, it was my original concern to
Old 03-24-2008, 05:22 AM
vegasfish
1st Gear Member

Default RE: New Mods-3M Custom Install-PICS

When you had the CDC chin spoiler painted, did you install the 3m clear bra over it. I havea painted one installed and alreadyit is getting paint chips. Is there a template availablefor the chin spoiler so you can buy the 3m clear bra in bulk and cut to fit?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:54 AM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

Looks pretty good. I have roush louvers and a cdc aggressive chin spoiler waiting to get put on. Just need to let the weather get a little warmer. Did your templete fit well for the louvers? I read yesterday that someone complained that the templete was off......
Old 03-24-2008, 01:31 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vegasfish

When you had the CDC chin spoiler painted, did you install the 3m clear bra over it. I havea painted one installed and alreadyit is getting paint chips. Is there a template availablefor the chin spoiler so you can buy the 3m clear bra in bulk and cut to fit?
Matt & Vegas to answer both of you:
I got the CDC for Xmas, before it was painted I had my 3M clear bra guy make me custom pieces. There is no template for this, he custom made it in three pieces, left, right, and center, and wraped it around the bottom edge. I didn't want to give it to him painted because I didn't want to take the chance of it getting scratched. He prefered to have it installed when I returned for the application. I installed it at home, then drove 1.5 miles down the road where I left the car for the install and tint. It came out awsome, I took many pics to show you guys, but I wasn't able to get a shot of a seam.

My Roush louvers went on without any problems. I used a very sharp xacto knife to cut the templates out. My best advice, take your time and make sure you know exactly where, and in what direction the brackets go, before the install. Another piece of advice is make sure the template is flat, no creases, creases with make the template shorter in some areas, transfering to a inproper fit. I took an iron and ironed them out useing a towel as a buffer in between. If they're a little damp, no prob, just wait until they dry. When you install the template use 3M blue painters tape. It is MOST important that you FIRST align with the door jam and roof line, then work the template back towards the rear of the car, keeping the roof line true. I just did it yeserday so if you have any trouble, let me know.

If you men haven't read yet, I also has my 3M installer make me the Roush louver pieces.