Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another CAI / tune vs warranty thread - dealer says warranty void

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:32 AM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Yet another CAI / tune vs warranty thread - dealer says warranty void

Look he said he will void your warranty, put the car back to stock. That is the bottom line. If you modify the car Ford will void your warranty, and I can understand why. The tune changes the way your engine runs and the way your transmission shifts, surely they cannot be held responsible for bad shifting leading to transmission failure, removing rev limits causing engine damage, or a tune that leans out and causes detonation.

Put the car back to stock, you do not want to get into a situation where you are on the defensive about your warranty.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Yet another CAI / tune vs warranty thread - dealer says warranty void

ORIGINAL: Mike521

I understand if they say my warranty is void because it caused a failure. But there's no failure in this case. Can they just put a notice on my VIN saying my warranty is void, 100%? That's what I'm concerned about.

I know the recall has no effect on the PCM, but if they see the CAI and they want to put such a notice on my "account" then I'm SOL
Ford does not put notices on VIN numbers.

another question that's been debated here before -- can they tell if I reset it to stock?
Yes, if you've driven under 50 miles the tune will have a flag setup that notifies them.

I know people say to disconnect the battery afterwards, but I've seen others say that the dealer can still tell. I know they won't look for this during the recall, but I'm thinking about in the future.
Why, you're doing nothing wrong?

btw I just checked out the ford racing CAI / tune, it forces you to use premium fuel all the time. that kinda sucks with gas being as expensive as it is. I'd like to use 87 if I'm not going to be driving petal to the metal for a few months (like the winter)
Premium fuel is more efficient than standard fuel, your entire statement is an oxymoron. I'm saying this like a fact but your mileage may vary. 10 years ago when gasoline was 1/3rd of the current cost, the difference in the cost of the added expensive octane booster to gasoline made it 10% more expensive than standard gas, yet it only boosted efficiency 2%-6% (assuming the engine timing was adjusted). Premium gas has always been this much more efficient than normal gas and always will be though...

Currently though Premium fuel is 3% more than standard fuel in terms of cost, yet you still get 2% to 6% more efficiency. Unfortunatly the uneducated American public beleives that Premium gas is more expensive overall so a low class car will never sell using premium fuel, even if it could cost less on a yearly bassis to run. lol

Unlike what you said, the more expensive gas is, the more reason it gives to run higher octane fuel because the different octane ratings go the same price. Currently the tradeoff i probably about even but that means that this is absolutaly no excuse to not get a cai.

I know saying the following is difficult, but give it a shot for fun: "and so it forces you to use premium fuel all the time. That's great with gas being as expensive as it is, as it will reduce my fuel bill because premium fuel is more efficient than it is expensive with a tune."

[/quote]

Old 03-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: laserred02

Look he said he will void your warranty, put the car back to stock. That is the bottom line. If you modify the car Ford will void your warranty, and I can understand why. The tune changes the way your engine runs and the way your transmission shifts, surely they cannot be held responsible for bad shifting leading to transmission failure, removing rev limits causing engine damage, or a tune that leans out and causes detonation.

Put the car back to stock, you do not want to get into a situation where you are on the defensive about your warranty.
What does this have to do with them not wanting to fix an airbag?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:00 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I guess if I got the 5 year warranty i'd be concerned, but seeing as how I got the lousy 3 year, I just said **** it.

Anyone that worried about their warranty shouldn't modify their car, period. If you bought some extended warranty then that's your problem. Maybe you can get some of your money back because all extended warranties are a scam! That's why the finance manager pushes them so hard. He knows the odds of you using that warranty are slim to none.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

I took my car in for the recall Saturday and they didnt even touch the pcm.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Black05StangGT
3rd Gear Member

yeah I don't think he's so much worried about the recall...he's worried about later down the road...if you want to keep your warranty in tact, and you don't want to have to fight them on it...then play by their rules...
Old 03-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The recall involves reprogramming the RCM, not the PCM. Your tune has nothing to do with the recall. I'd give them hell.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Mike521
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the input all. I guess what I was looking for was someone who spoke to their service mgr and the mgr said the CAI/tune is not a problem. Looks like that hasn't happened though, seems all dealers pull the same stuff.

To reiterate what was said before, I'm not concerned about the recall, I know they have to do it. I'm also not concerned about a warranty void for damage that's caused by the CAI/tune, that's my problem. But a 100% warranty void for stuff unrelated to the tune is BS.

ORIGINAL: Legion5

Premium fuel is more efficient than standard fuel, your entire statement is an oxymoron. I'm saying this like a fact but your mileage may vary. 10 years ago when gasoline was 1/3rd of the current cost, the difference in the cost of the added expensive octane booster to gasoline made it 10% more expensive than standard gas, yet it only boosted efficiency 2%-6% (assuming the engine timing was adjusted). Premium gas has always been this much more efficient than normal gas and always will be though...

Currently though Premium fuel is 3% more than standard fuel in terms of cost, yet you still get 2% to 6% more efficiency. Unfortunatly the uneducated American public beleives that Premium gas is more expensive overall so a low class car will never sell using premium fuel, even if it could cost less on a yearly bassis to run. lol

Unlike what you said, the more expensive gas is, the more reason it gives to run higher octane fuel because the different octane ratings go the same price. Currently the tradeoff i probably about even but that means that this is absolutaly no excuse to not get a cai.

I know saying the following is difficult, but give it a shot for fun: "and so it forces you to use premium fuel all the time. That's great with gas being as expensive as it is, as it will reduce my fuel bill because premium fuel is more efficient than it is expensive with a tune."
I honestly don't know anything about the efficiency of premium vs 87. My plan was to simply test it myself once I have the tune and see which fuel gives better mileage, and if the added mileage makes it worth it to stick with the higher price fuel. I'm encouraged to hear that it's likely I'll be glad with the premium. I still don't like that the ford tune doesn't give me the ability to switch when I want to.

So bottom line is, even if I take it to the dealership where they said my warranty will be void, there's nothing they can do to permanently screw me, even if I have the CAI/tune installed?
Old 03-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As far as the recall, they can't NOT do the recall work regardless of being in or out of warranty. If they refuse the recall work then I'd contact Ford HQ AND go right to the NHTSA.

Don't let the dealership scare you. They bark loud because they assume you'll back off. Just bark louder.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:39 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

The reason that dealers always tell you that your warranty is voided if you use a tuner is because most people have no idea what they are doing when they buy a tuner. If you get a tune from brenspeed or bama, you are probably going to be safe, but I'm sure there are some people out there that just start playing with settings on their tuner to see if they can make some more power. Then those people end up destroying their engine because they advance timing 8 degrees on 89 octane and run their car a couple times atthe drag strip. Just do like the others have said and take your intake off and tune your car back to stock and drive around for a week then take your car in to the dealer and you can return your intake and tune when you get it back. It seems like a bigger hassle to go looking for other dealers rather then spending 20 minutes undoing 2 hose clamps and pressing a couple of buttons on your tuner.

Quick Reply: Yet another CAI / tune vs warranty thread - dealer says warranty void