Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRPP "Hot Rod" Cams are out!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

Default RE: FRPP "Hot Rod" Cams are out!?

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

ORIGINAL: eddieval5

Found this on Sutton High performance and my question is are these really out and are they worth it for an N/A motor right now? Ive been saving up a little here and there and by June i should have a Whipple or Vortech S-trim.

http://www.suttonhp.com/store/item.a...ARTMENT_ID=253
Hi eddieval5,

These cams look like valve float waiting to happen. The lift numbers are sort of aggressive for a no spring cam. Personally I'd look intothe Comp CamsVSR series (#127100/300) cams so the valves can open a resonable amount andremain undercontrol of the springs and lifters. Comp also has some more conventional looking higher lift cams that are milder with lots of midrange and top-end but you have to do the springs and install their VCT cam phase limiters which is what allows them to run that extra 0.07-0.08" lift which makes these things hit so much harder than even their Stage 3 cams. Even the mildest of theirSPR series (#127400)cams will produce 45-50rwhp on a full bolt-on car and have a perfectly docile idle, nobody will even know you have those cams in the engine until you blow past them. GOK what you can get out of the #127500 and #127600 cams though some have reported getting 60-70rwhp with carefully ported heads and needless to say all the bolt-ons, injectors and custom tune.

HTH!

EDITED for a typo

do you have video or audio of these VSRs? I would like to hear them, as I am in the market for cams
Old 03-26-2008, 07:12 AM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

I talked to Justing at JPC Racing last month. They're the ones that installed the cam on the Youtube car. He did say from the information given to him by the engineers at FordRacing that these do not require a spring change. But he decided to change the springs anyway. Most reputable engine shops will always recommend a spring change, even if its not required. But it is setup to run with the VCT. They didn't use cam phase lockouts on that car. The only mods done were CAI, Tune, and full bassani exhaust. He told me compared to a baseline dyno prior to install, the car picked up 21rwhp and the power band was steady from 2500 - 7000.

I talked to SuttonHP last month, I put down for a preorder. I'm going to have them done with charge motion deletes and then dyno tune it with my airaid intake. It should be interesting. The cams should be released by FordRacing in early April. They're being made, just not released yet.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:57 AM
rad_rob
3rd Gear Member

Let us know how the sound and perform when you get them done.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:26 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joolander
ORIGINAL: F1Fan
ORIGINAL: eddieval5
Found this on Sutton High performance and my question is are these really out and are they worth it for an N/A motor right now? Ive been saving up a little here and there and by June i should have a Whipple or Vortech S-trim.

http://www.suttonhp.com/store/item.a...ARTMENT_ID=253
Hi eddieval5,

These cams look like valve float waiting to happen. The lift numbers are sort of aggressive for a no spring cam. Personally I'd look intothe Comp CamsVSR series (#127100/300) cams so the valves can open a resonable amount andremain undercontrol of the springs and lifters. Comp also has some more conventional looking higher lift cams that are milder with lots of midrange and top-end but you have to do the springs and install their VCT cam phase limiters which is what allows them to run that extra 0.07-0.08" lift which makes these things hit so much harder than even their Stage 3 cams. Even the mildest of theirSPR series (#127400)cams will produce 45-50rwhp on a full bolt-on car and have a perfectly docile idle, nobody will even know you have those cams in the engine until you blow past them. GOK what you can get out of the #127500 and #127600 cams though some have reported getting 60-70rwhp with carefully ported heads and needless to say all the bolt-ons, injectors and custom tune.

HTH!

EDITED for a typo
do you have video or audio of these VSRs? I would like to hear them, as I am in the market for cams
Hi Joolander,

Comp has changed what they call their different cam lines depending on what they need or don't need for best results or to avoid mechanical interference. Additionallywithin each of these three cam families there are N/A and blower specific grinds. The NSR label means"No Spring Required" VSR means "Valve Springs Required" SPR means "Spring and cam Phaser modsRequired". Each of these different cam lines have specific changesin the cam specs and profilesto safely maximizepower and torque based on what you are willing to do to the heads and valvetrain.

For a pure N/A bolt-on the NSR #127050 and #127200 are a pretty good deal if you consider that anybody can do one of these cam installs in their garage in a few hours with common hand tools. At less than $700for 20-25rwhp this sort of power is nothing to turn your nose up at. The NSR cams are actuallyCHEAPER on a doller per horse power basis than atop of the line CAI kittuner and canned and/or mailorder tunewhich was the best bang for the buck bolt-onby faruntil these puppies showed up.

The VSR cams are the #127100 and #127300 cams we have seen installed and dyno'dall over the internet. The Comp Cams #127300 cams when properly installed with Comp beehives #26113-24and steel retainers #700-24are good for40+rwhp on a tuned full bolt-on motor. That 40+rwhp is also nothing to turn your nose up at for under $1K eventhough the installation isa bit more involved requiring spring replacement. But on the other handyou cannot buy 40+rwhp for $1K withoutinjectingsomechemistry into the intake.

The SPR line cams in addition to requiringComp's beehivesprings #26113-24 OR 26125-24 (7000+RPM or high boostuse) #700-24 (steel)OR 702-24 (Titanium high RPM/boost use) retainersrequire a special Comp Cams cam phaser limiterwhich mechanically limits the total cam shaftadvance to a max of 20 degrees and custom dyno tuning which has a maximum of 20 degrees of VCT in the value tables. This is what allows Comp to safely use these more aggressive 3-V grinds with lift numbers over 0.490" without bending the valves while retaining 20 degrees of VCT control. These cams are monsters and anything past the mildest version is crazy on the street in terms of power band and idle. Eventhe mildest of the SPR cams#127400 will net you 50+rwhp on an all bolt-on motor!

HTH!

Edited for clarity
Old 03-26-2008, 12:56 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

I'm not sure where I saw the guy said he talked to FRPP and they said they weren't theirs. Justin@JPC says they are FRPP's and it's their video, so I guess they are the FRPP ones. Sorry to confuse anyone. I'm definitely interested now.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:20 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doctorj77

The cams should be released by FordRacing in early April. They're being made, just not released yet.
So, within the next 2, 2.5 weeks. Let's hope.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:47 AM
eddieval5
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OhioState87

ORIGINAL: doctorj77

The cams should be released by FordRacing in early April. They're being made, just not released yet.
So, within the next 2, 2.5 weeks. Let's hope.
Thats what everyone was saying for Feb and March.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 AM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Yeah they said end of Feb, then March, now April. I'm holding on to my money for it but won't hold my breath for April. We'll see what happens. When I signed up on the pre-order list last month there was 3 or 4 people already on the it. I called this week and there are over 10 people on the list now.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

those cams in the video still sound rough to me...

are there any cams that sound , idk, mellow in comparison?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:54 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Whats it cost to have cams installed? Parts and labor?

Quick Reply: FRPP "Hot Rod" Cams are out!?