Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading in a car thats been hit and repaired? What to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Dorsil
2nd Gear Member

Default Trading in a car thats been hit and repaired? What to expect?

well for some of you who remember, I was hit badly back in November of 07. Spring is here, and while im not 100% sure a new stang is in order. I do plan on at least having it appraised for trade in.

My question is, in the end i had nearly 16,000 Dollars of damage done and repaired. Im sure the dealer will carfax the car. but My question is, how large a hit am i going to take here?

Has anyone delt with an S197's value after a hit?

on a side note, If they say come back with 17 G. And without the damage they come back with 23. Can you Sue the person who hit you for the Diminished value of your car because of the car crash?

*EDIT*
I spoke with my Insurance person, and unfortunatly There is no Dimisnished value clause in NY State through the insurance so no money there.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:00 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Trading in a car thats been hit and repaired? What to expect?

You're supposed to claim diminished value with the insurance company at the time of the accident. It varies state-to-state, but If memory serves, I think the going rate is somewhere between 15-25% the cost of the repairs? That might be a little high, I'm sure there are guys on here who can give you a more accurate answer..

But I do know you're supposed to get DV from the ins. co...
Old 03-26-2008, 11:01 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I wouldnt expect 23 anyway...a dealer gave tripod 16k for his 06 i think....but you should get some "diminished value" somewhere in there somehow if its a good amount off the actual value should be
Old 03-26-2008, 11:06 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The body shopacted like its back to its original value when it was fixed
so act like its worth the actual KBB value when its sold.

The diminished value should have been addressed when filing the insurance claim. []
Old 03-26-2008, 11:28 AM
dcottrell6
1st Gear Member

I had 18k of damage to mine.
In NJ you have to prove diminished value which means getting appraisials of the value of the car before the accident and after the repairs are complete.
Most insurance companies and repair shops say there is no loss in value in a properly repaired car.

I tried and the Insurance company basically said no, you'll have to sue us to get it.
It was a gamble and most lawyers wouldn't touch it so I didn't pursue it.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Kara
4th Gear Member

Good luck with the diminished value tihng. I couldnt get it. And yeah it definately hurts your resale[&:]
Old 03-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Rustan

I would have your car Carfaxed to see if it is even on the record before you start to worry. I know of 4 cars either mine or friends that were wrecked, had police reports filed, and repaired at dealerships with damage in the range of $6k-$13K each and even years later the carfax on these cars come up clean. I don't value a carfax much, nice to have but not always accurate.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:57 AM
svastano
4th Gear Member

I have noticed too that if the dealer that fixed it is the same one you are trading it to you will really get hammered bad! Maybe they know how shoddy their bodyshop really is!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:19 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

If its not on the carfax and they inspect the car Im sure there is something they will find. Most places will go around your car with a magnetic device to measure your paint thickness to tell if the car has been repainted. Once they see that its downhill from there...
Old 03-26-2008, 01:30 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

When I traded they asked me if the car had been damaged and had bodywork done... I said no (it hadn't), and later in the process a document appeared that I had to sign that said the car was never damaged and never had body work. Now if you lie and they do the same to you, and you sign, you're looking at future liability when somebody figures it out.

Quick Reply: Trading in a car thats been hit and repaired? What to expect?