Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Guzzler Tax

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 03:49 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Gas Guzzler Tax

picked up my GT/CS with 3.55s two weeks ago, no G.G. tax.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:54 AM
7STANG
99GTverts minion

Also on the Bullitt you can use whatever grade of gas you like, the computer has an adaptive management system to detect what octane you are using - the Shelby does not.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:07 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

But gas mileage is rated as less than the regular GT?
Old 03-27-2008, 11:34 AM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

I think the gas guzzler tax is BS. Especially the fact that it's on the GT500 but also on the Shelby GT. I think the Shelby GT gets pretty much the same mileage as the Mustang GT right?
Old 03-27-2008, 11:36 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

CAFE is a way of punishing the supplier, the gas guzzler tax is a way to punish the consumer...
Old 03-27-2008, 11:54 AM
mrwglo
1st Gear Member

Buy used, no GG tax.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

They use uncorrected scores not the 22%/10% reduced scores you see on the window stickersto calculate both CAFE andif Gas Guzzler is owed on an individual model. How this reflects on the newer higher tests speeds used for 2008 window stickers I dont know but I suspect they still use the original 1972 speeds as well.

My guess is that the Bullitt slipped through a loop-hole by using the same basic engine/powertrain and the EPA sees it asjust another Mustang GT with a M5. If we have70% M5 3.31, 20% M5 3.55, and 10% M5 3.73 (Bullitt) the EPA will average the mileage of all of them together to determine if their is Gas Guzzler tax owed. At least this is my understanding.

The reason the Shelby GT has to pay gas guzzler tax is that its not a Ford.
The manufacturer of record is Shelby and their are no3.31 geared Shelby GT's toaverage in.

Shelby GT500 - Manufacturer of record - Ford
Shelby GT - Manufacturer of record - Shelby
Shelby GT500KR - Manufacturer of record - Shelby

Thats because only the GT and GT500KR are finished by Shelby. The GT500 never goes anywhere near Shelby.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:38 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

You guys have to understand something... The Bullitt IS NOT recognized by the government as a different car. It is still the GT. Ford modifiys it, but the base car is a GT. Just search the EPA site, you'll see that the government only recognizes the mustang in 5 flavors: 4.0 man, 4.0 auto, 4.6 man, 4.6 auto, and 5.4 man. There IS NO BULLITT in the government's eyes.

Roush, Saleen, and Shelby are considered different manufacturers and their cars are recognized by the government as different from the GT. And yes, they're all on the gas guzzler list.

if you're paying gas guzzler on a bullit, or a GT, you're getting ripped, because even the EPA themselves only list the GT500 (Mustang 5.4L) on their 2008 list of gas guzzlers. Sounds like the dealers are trying to make an extra buck...

http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzler/420b07018.pdf

(remember, only the OFFICIAL model is tested... The GT has 3.31 gears, so that is tested. Available options are just options, they are not tested.)
Old 03-27-2008, 04:32 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

You guys have to understand something... The Bullitt IS NOT recognized by the government as a different car. It is still the GT. Ford modifiys it, but the base car is a GT. Just search the EPA site, you'll see that the government only recognizes the mustang in 5 flavors: 4.0 man, 4.0 auto, 4.6 man, 4.6 auto, and 5.4 man. There IS NO BULLITT in the government's eyes.

Roush, Saleen, and Shelby are considered different manufacturers and their cars are recognized by the government as different from the GT. And yes, they're all on the gas guzzler list.

if you're paying gas guzzler on a bullit, or a GT, you're getting ripped, because even the EPA themselves only list the GT500 (Mustang 5.4L) on their 2008 list of gas guzzlers. Sounds like the dealers are trying to make an extra buck...

http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzler/420b07018.pdf

(remember, only the OFFICIAL model is tested... The GT has 3.31 gears, so that is tested. Available options are just options, they are not tested.)
I think you hit the nail on the head!! Modified by aftermarket vs by Ford!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:12 PM
EricM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Saleen wasn't on the list in 2007, but now they are. I wonder what changed.

I don't really understand why the EPA lists Shelby, Roush, and Saleen as separate manufacturers anyway. I'm pretty sure the MSO for any of them is from Ford, and if you run the VIN on any of them it comes back Ford Mustang. So one branch of the government says they're Fords, and another says they aren't.

Quick Reply: Gas Guzzler Tax