Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Guzzler Tax

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:08 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Gas Guzzler Tax

ORIGINAL: EricM

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Roush, Saleen, and Shelby are considered different manufacturers and their cars are recognized by the government as different from the GT. And yes, they're all on the gas guzzler list.
Saleen wasn't on the list in 2007, but now they are. I wonder what changed.

I don't really understand why the EPA lists Shelby, Roush, and Saleen as separate manufacturers anyway. I'm pretty sure the MSO for any of them is from Ford, and if you run the VIN on any of them it comes back Ford Mustang. So one branch of the government says they're Fords, and another says they aren't.
Saleen is on the list now because the testing rules changed, drastically. First of all, the tests start with a cold car. You can bet EVERY car took a hit from that. Second, the highway test now runs at 80mph over 60mph. Yikes, that means lower geared cars are going to eat fuel much more during the test. Theres other changes too. Its why MPG plummeted in '08 on new cars. Not really bad since finally they're getting accurate, but it means much more gas guzzler tax for us and CAFE fines for companies.

Roush, Saleen and Shelby are considered car manufacturers. What this means is when a car leaves these companies it is considered their car, end of story. There is no 'its-a-mustang-underneath'. Its considered their creation, regardless of where it came from. So they're subject to being tested completely seperate from Ford, and since their base cars are highly modified and use more gas, they are listed as getting less MPG than the base cars of Ford's mustangs, and being gas guzzlers.

And yes, the rules are changing again, and we're screwed again. You can bet the next mustang will be quieter and less muscularthan ever. More like a passenger car. Ford isn't willing to do what Chevy and Dodge did by disregarding all of the rules and just paying hefty fines on their Camaro and SRT-8, and I'm glad about that. Its irresponsible. Ford is trying its best to compete with these sports cars while building practical and rational line of sports cars. This is something I highly respect about Ford.... Sure, the next mustang or 2 mustangs from now will probably be sissier than ever, but its a necessity, and they're trying their best.

Theres loopholes left and right, but in the end we're all screwed.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

lots of hocus pocus responses being delivered here!

The Bullitt has 3.73 gears vs 3.55 for the Shelby GT.

The gas guzzler tax has got nothing whatsoever to do with the price of the car.

The Shelby GT is listed under Shelby, not FORD. They were unable to get the Shelby GT 22.5 MPG (they got 22.4! so close) so they fall into the $1000 gas guzzler tax.
http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzler/420b07018.pdf

BTW- why is it that any one of us would love any one of those cars? I think they need to give trucks and SUVs the same taxes.

The Bullitt was able to fall under the Mustang GT's ratings. Remember the Bullitt isn't as powerful as the Shelby GT, but only a little!
He's right, and at that the bullitt is a package, not a new car like the shelby.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:54 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

so did you see the new Saleen?
Runs on E85

S5S Raptor

I like the 2-tone mirrors!
And the color, of course!

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/05EAC1D43AC448C29DE8F5A04CE44A5C.jpg[/IMG]