Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that have Painted Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:10 AM
MEK
1st Gear Member

Default For those that have Painted Stripes

Well, the weather is getting nicer and I have many pieces to paint as well as putting on stripes. I am looking at ~10" stripes with a 2" gap. I am trying to decide on wether I should run a pinstripe on the outsides. The pinstripe I believe should be ~.5" to .75" with the same corresponding gap. My car is black and the stripes will be flat black (I am looking at using the Dupont Hot Rod Black and mixing it accordingly to get the desired matte finish). Any opinions on the pin stripes .......with or without? The second question I would have is should I very the width of the stripes? You know, like ~10.25 at the rear of the hood and narrowing as it gets to and down the front bumper.....say ~9.5".......and then something similar but less drastic in the rear? Anyone out there with something similar....pics?......opinions?

Thanks
Old 03-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Intervention
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: For those that have Painted Stripes

Stripes are 10", with 3" in between them, with 1/4" spacing on the outside with a 1/4 in pinstripe..

Edit: You aksed for painted stripes, mine are only vinyl, but is there really a big difference?
Old 03-29-2008, 11:18 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

I think pin-stripes will lookawesome (even though I didn't put them on mine). Love the look you're goin' for as well. My stripesare vinyl, sorry I can't help with your painting questions.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:34 AM
MEK
1st Gear Member

Thanks, all opinions and pics are welcomed. I do like the look of the pinstripes. The 1/4" pins showupbetter than I thought. I guess that i should rephrase my questions, the one directed at painted stripes would be the one referring to varying the width of the stripes...which I don't think they do with the vynil stripes......but, I could be mistaken on that? I would also like to see more pics with pinstripes and what the width of the pinstripes and gaps are? I am just trying to nail down how I am going to lay down the stripes and what widths and gaps to use.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Intervention
3rd Gear Member

I think the solid width stripes look pretty good, I am not sure if varying stripe width would be worth the extra time...
Old 03-29-2008, 11:44 AM
BAMFstang
3rd Gear Member

I'm not sure how the varied width will look. Hoenstly I don't think it would look good. But not having seen it it, you never now.

If painting I would be scared that I wouldn't be happy then have to repaint the car again.

You could always do a mock up and get a general idea how it will look

Mine are painted, 10" wide 2" gap w/o pinstripe. I like the look of the pinstripe but opted not to put it on mine.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:00 PM
MEK
1st Gear Member

Looks good, I am definately leaning towards the 2" center gap. I thought that varying the width was for optics, to give the effect that the stripes weren't getting narrower (poor explanation?). Anyway, I found this on the web......dimensions for Lemans Stripes for a 66 Shelby.

http://www.nvsaac.com/Details/Lemans_stripes.htm

They vary the width of the stripes. From the explanation, I don't know if it was done for "optics" from outside the car or from the drivers point of view? I agree laying the tape for a constant width would be easier, but keeping a constant center gap and laying the tape outline for the varying width would not be much more difficult.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:09 PM
noonyb
1st Gear Member

I think you would constantly have to explain to people why the width wasnt the same. People would assume it was a poor stripe job.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:23 PM
ApexStang
2nd Gear Member

I basically wanted mine to match the stock Shelby Style Stripes so I went up to the dealership and took measurements.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:45 PM
MEK
1st Gear Member

ApexStang: And those measurements were.........?

Quick Reply: For those that have Painted Stripes