Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still can't get 06 whipple to start back up taking any reasonable ideas-JBA long tubes & midpipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:42 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Still can't get 06 whipple to start back up taking any reasonable ideas

Thanks for the answers but I am still not sure of the problem. I see you are in Detroit? I too am in the Detroit area and Lidio (alternative auto) maybe able able to help. It would require towing the car to his shop in chesterfield tep at 23 mile and gratiot....... again I can move this to a better section and the guys come sunday and monday that frequent that section can be a huge help! PM to let me know....Later J
http://www.alternativeauto.com/
Old 03-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Nichepi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Still can't get 06 whipple to start back up taking any reasonable ideas

Actually the car is in alexandria VA at my other home. I'm ok friends with the guys at springfield motorsports. I was over there today picking up the 02 extensions for the rear.
Though I have to be in Michigan next month for a photoshoot with the car so I need to hurry up and figure up what I f'd up

What steps can I take to validate if the coils are getting energy?
Old 03-30-2008, 04:21 AM
JOHNNY
2nd Gear Member

Check the security system to make sure it,s not shutting off then go to basic, fuel presure ,coil power, injector pulse, Check for a partial unplug wire harness,re check the wires on the extention. Did you do any welding on the car? if so check the ecm make sure it,s live also check power and grounds. did you remove any to install the headers? If you have a scanner see if you rpm signal when you crank it? Check cam ang crank sensors? Hope this helps?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:19 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

Anyone have any thoughts on what looks like fuel and carbon from blowby with the backfiring or is this oil? I dont thing it is oil and wonder if all that was just from the backfiring and the rich fuel and carbon buildup mixing?

Looks like gas cleaning out the exhaust to me. If it were oil, it wouldn't look black like that.

I'd replace the O2 sensor for sure, they're probably ****ed and check your wiring extensions. You'll need a custom tune to run without cats. Without a retune it could run lean and[sm=badbadbad.gif]
Old 03-30-2008, 07:28 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

So did a shop install the headers? If so did it ever run with them? If you installed them at the same time as swapping the fuel rails then you definately f'd something up.

Do you have the HT0 plugs? If so try putting the stock plugs back in and fire it up. All your plugs could be fouled by now. These plugs seem to be really sensitive.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Nichepi
3rd Gear Member

I already have our updated tunes from diablo for this setup. After all the issues I had flashed back to the procal tune from frpp.
I did all the work as I always do. I've had 3 cobras since 99 and all were heavily modified and I also build up mustangs for SEMA shows. So i'm pretty familar with the products and have pretty good support and contacts from ford racing and various other sources which I have been touching base with.

The vehicle hasn't run since I did the long tube install.

But even with the original Whipple procal tune the car will/should turn on and run ok, may run bad after awhile. The issue at hand I don't thhink is the tune at this point. I beelive once we can get the vehicle to turn over and just idle ok we can then flash the new diablosport program.

The vehicle would either take several attempts to start, run for 30 seconds then die or if it starts running you would get alot of pooping sounds then a back fire once in awhile. Very low RPMS around 500 range. I beleive every time the vehicle turns overits dumping to much fuel into the cyclinders.

I have replaced the spark plugs as I have to rotate cleaning them then trying to start the vehicle.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Nichepi
3rd Gear Member

Here are the plugs the first time I pulled them.
99% of the junk on the plugs is just gasoline residue that evaporated. After I cleaned them up they looked just fine.

I've come to realize that handheld tuners are probably limited in their ability to pullcomplete error codes from the vehicle. Probably should have bought that Nexgen startec a few years back.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:50 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Did you return the stock tune before using the Diablo tuner? If you didn't flash back to stock using the procal tool and then flash with the diablo you likely corrupted the whipple tune.

I'm not sure if the frpp procal tool retains a copy of the tune or not, but if it does you should be able to flash back the stock tune from the procal tool and reinstall the whipple tune.

So the car hasn't started since you used the diablo? I think the problems is the tune.

P.S. I'd still try the stock plugs with the whipple tune. It won't hurt to start the car or even drive with the stock plugs. WOT with the stock plugs is where you'd get possible detonation.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Tune issue, definitely unburnt fuel. I just put a new exhaust system on my car with longtubes and O/R h-pipe. The first hour I ran it I had soot/unburnt gas littering my exhuast/tips.

Not sure there is a solution with O/R pipe....
Old 03-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Nichepi
3rd Gear Member

The ford procal does retain an original copy of the stock tune the vehicles comes from the factory with. Yes I had to use the procal to install the stock tune, then use the Diablo to install the updated flash since it wouldn't go from the procal tune to the diablo tune. I just did the opposite when I went back to the procal tune.
I don't think the programming is the issue because I’m pretty sure the procal tune is in the vehicle but of course I could be wrong, but I’m pretty confident in at least the tune the was in the car when the whipple was working is there.

I did install the original plugs yesterday and after an hour they looked like the frpp units.
I found my original fuels rails and I’m going to start back tracking a little.

Rubrignitz- Unfortunately my issue is nota little unburnt fuel, were talking alot of unburned fuel, possibly just filling up the cylinder and flowing out of the exhaust port which is why their is sludge on the passenger side header tube.

This could be unrealted as well but I did install teh ford racing red button starter button when i did the header install. But I think that was pretty far fetched.

I think the inital questions here are:
IS it a programming error?
IS in electrical issue where something is telling the injectors to stay wide open and dump fuel?
Or is their no spark to the COP's and fuel keeps building up because their is no spark?

Quick Reply: Still can't get 06 whipple to start back up taking any reasonable ideas-JBA long tubes & midpipe