Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ticking noise when car is put into drive.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ticking noise when car is put into drive.

ORIGINAL: Horrific_Ending

ORIGINAL: Going for broke

I see you have the v-6. Does the v-6 have spark plug wires?? Sorry for my ignorance but I don't know. I'm pretty confident you have a spark jumping issue. Electricity takes the path of least resistance.Try to pop the hood in the dark and watch for a spark to show up somewhere. Good luck
yes i do have spark wires they are all hooked up to the coil pack. how am i going to be able to see a spark whenthey are plugged in?
check how you have the wires ran near the block. like I said if you go out in the dark and raise the hood and observe I'd guess when you hear the ticking you will also see a spark. do you have wires overlapping each other?? it doesn't take much to cause interference. a plugboot to close to the block or a wire being crossed over another is enough to cause a miss.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

Sounds like you have a coilpack grounding out on the motor or a bad spark plug. Also possible there is something not plugged in all the way. A coil arc can sound like an exhaust leak. I doubt it's the tune.
yeah i thought it was an exhaust leak but then i had someone look under the hood while i had it in drive with my foot on the brake and he said it was coming from the intake manifold. so i was thinking maybe its the injecter that is clogged? but yeah i have a 91 octane tune and iw as going to load that up but not sure. and whats a coil arc? lol sorry. i checked all the plugs today to see if they weren tplugged in all the way and they seem to be plugged in all the way. maybe i should tak ethem out and clean them and check them maybe?
Do you have plug wires?? if so one could be arcing to ground on the engine block. If you don't have wires I would check the area where the spark plug goes on the coil. It sounds to me like you have a spark problem and like I said it will sound like a "ticking" noise
If it was exhaust it wouldn't alter the idle. It would be loud when the car was cold and then usually they get quieter or go away all together when warmed up.
hmm alright let me go see whats up ill check to see if its arcing to anything and check the plugs right now.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

I'd bet money it's arcing to the block or exhaust manifold. it won't be a huge spark but you will see it if its dark out. it'd be unlikely you'd see it during the day.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

I'd bet money it's arcing to the block or exhaust manifold. it won't be a huge spark but you will see it if its dark out. it'd be unlikely you'd see it during the day.
so what should i do? lol make sure all my wires arent touching the block because this ony happens when i have it in drive.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

so what should i do? lol make sure all my wires arent touching the block because this ony happens when i have it in drive.
well once you drop the car in drive it creates a load against the motor and that can cause the spark to take a different direction.
I'd first locate the source of the miss (which wire might be grounding) then I would shut the car off and re-position the boot, re-start and see if the miss is gone. when you changed out your plugs do you recall any of the wires being difficult to remove?? you may of also damaged a wire. do what I said and look near where the plug wires meet the plugs and look for spark. if you don't see anything sparking when you are hearing the ticking then I would go on to check the plugs.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

well once you drop the car in drive it creates a load against the motor and that can cause the spark to take a different direction.
I'd first locate the source of the miss (which wire might be grounding) then I would shut the car off and re-position the boot, re-start and see if the miss is gone. when you changed out your plugs do you recall any of the wires being difficult to remove?? you may of also damaged a wire. do what I said and look near where the plug wires meet the plugs and look for spark. if you don't see anything sparking when you are hearing the ticking then I would go on to check the plugs.
i will for sure give that a try tomorrow morning. cuz i really dont know what it is because the car isnt throwing any codes no check engine or nothing. so ill see if its alright.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

i will for sure give that a try tomorrow morning. cuz i really dont know what it is because the car isnt throwing any codes no check engine or nothing. so ill see if its alright.
and it usually won't. The spark plug is at the end of the line. the ECM doesn't know it's not firing. if the coil is sparking thats where the trail is lost by the ECM. the only way you'd throw a light would be if there was enough unburned fuel in the exhaust to trip the o2 sensor. you can try it in the am but you won't be able to see the spark arcing in the day light. good luck.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

and it usually won't. The spark plug is at the end of the line. the ECM doesn't know it's not firing. if the coil is sparking thats where the trail is lost by the ECM. the only way you'd throw a light would be if there was enough unburned fuel in the exhaust to trip the o2 sensor. you can try it in the am but you won't be able to see the spark arcing in the day light. good luck.
ok so i went to go see if there was anything arcing and i didnt see anything at all. i unplugged all the wires and check them and plugged them back in. It started up better and the drop in idle is normal. but when i threw it into drive the noise started back up. is there anything else i can try to see if its the plugs?
Old 03-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

I don't know man... Wish I was there. I still think it's electrical but if you don't know what your loking for it's hard to diagnose
Old 03-30-2008, 03:24 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Weird man. I've been watching this thread but nothing has raised an eyebrow yet.

Its important to note there is nothing connecting "drive" to the intake manifold. Is there? Doubt it. It seems like if you put it in drive then any ticking that starts up would have to come from down below, in the torque converter, or in the transmission. In fact, not even in the torque converter, since the engine spins the flywheel and torque converter regardless of being in drive or neutrel. The ticking would have to be in the transmission, if it truly were a result of being put into drive.

So here are my questions:First, are youSURE its coming from the intake manifold area? Also,are you sure its a true and consistent ticking? Or could be a really consistent vibration thats so consistent that it actually sounds like a mechanical ticking?

Anyways, with all this being said, its important to remember that modern electro-magnetic fuel injectors tick very loudly. Its very very normal. Many S197s stock will hear it, some won't hear it until they load up a tune that is requiring more fuel. Then they hear a fast rapid and consistent ticking from the fuel rails right by the intake manifold. I dont know how the 4.0 works, or how an automatic might change fuel injector usage between being in neutrel and being in idle, but its possible you have a bad injector. Ticking is normal, but if you're bogging down at idle then maybe a bad injector. If you have some tubing then you can put one end on the fuel rail and one end to your ear and hear very close up what injector ticking sounds like.

I wish I had more to offer but I dont. This is very confusing. Do some more investigating and let us know.

Quick Reply: ticking noise when car is put into drive.