Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ticking noise when car is put into drive.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ticking noise when car is put into drive.

when you drop the car in drive it creates a load against the motor.. thats the change thats taking place under the hood. I still think it's plug wire related personally. the plugs arethe only change thats taken place since the problem started so I'm lead to believe it's related to a plug or wire. this is surely a situation where I wish I could get my hands on this car.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:58 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Now im wondering.... In an automatic, does the computer do anything different with the throttle plate when the car leaves park and goes into drive? I thought it opened the plate a little in park, giving higher RPM as you sit there, then closed it in drive allowing the car to rely on crankcase ventilation for its air, until your foot opens the throttle plate to go.

Maybe something is wrong with your PCV valve and its not fully opening to give the engine air at drive/idle?

I'll shutup.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Now im wondering.... In an automatic, does the computer do anything different with the throttle plate when the car leaves park and goes into drive? I thought it opened the plate a little in park, giving higher RPM as you sit there, then closed it in drive allowing the car to rely on crankcase ventilation for its air, until your foot opens the throttle plate to go.

Maybe something is wrong with your PCV valve and its not fully opening to give the engine air at drive/idle?

I'll shutup.
ok so me and my friend kinda found out what is doing it. bascially started the car and started pulling spark plug wires to see if anything changed. pulled two and they were normal. we then pulled the 6th wire and the car almost died and started ticking. so we are thinking that the spark plug wire is bad or is working half the time and then going out leading to a misfire and the ticking. i changed the spark plug seeing if maybe it was the spark plug and no change so i believe its the wire. ordered a new set because no damn places around here carry the wires. but hopefully its the wire. would the wire being bad lead to this knocking ticking sound and the fluctuation in rpms when in drive?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:35 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Can you plug a different cynlinder's wire into it to test or are the wires ran to somewhere else.... You mean coil on plugs right? In that case right, try a different a one.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Horrific_Ending

ok so me and my friend kinda found out what is doing it. bascially started the car and started pulling spark plug wires to see if anything changed. pulled two and they were normal. we then pulled the 6th wire and the car almost died and started ticking. so we are thinking that the spark plug wire is bad or is working half the time and then going out leading to a misfire and the ticking. i changed the spark plug seeing if maybe it was the spark plug and no change so i believe its the wire. ordered a new set because no damn places around here carry the wires. but hopefully its the wire. would the wire being bad lead to this knocking ticking sound and the fluctuation in rpms when in drive?
What did I tell you??? My guess would be when you switched the plugs out you accidentally damaged a wire. I was actually coming on here to tell you to disconnect a wire at a time to locate the miss. even if you just unplug one and leave it real close to the plug it will usually hit the tip of the plug and you will be able to hear the spark "ticking" when it fires.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Going for broke

ORIGINAL: Horrific_Ending

What did I tell you??? My guess would be when you switched the plugs out you accidentally damaged a wire. I was actually coming on here to tell you to disconnect a wire at a time to locate the miss. even if you just unplug one and leave it real close to the plug it will usually hit the tip of the plug and you will be able to hear the spark "ticking" when it fires.
yeah i am just hoping that its not knocking now though. because its kinda loud but i know now what spark location it is. so hopefully the wires are the issue!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

ok so update on what is happening. i changed the wires and the knocking is still there. now i am wondering i do need a oil change so maybe low oil pressure? i also googled some stuff and i found something where it said it could be low radiator fluid? i highly doubt that, but i think it could maybe be low oil pressure?