Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comparison of tunes

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:12 AM
Spiffu
2nd Gear Member

Default Comparison of tunes

I'm wondering if people have changed tunes that came from the company that made the tuner like SCT and went to a performance shop like Brenspeed or Bamma.

Reason I ask is that the "custom" tune I got with my SCT livewire really hasn't made that much of a difference as been advertised. Typically people on the forums rave how it "wakes the car up" when they uploaded their tune and help fixes the throttle lag with the drive by wire, but I'm just not seeing any of that. All mine's done so far is make me use a more expensive octane gas and minus 5 mpg on average.

I've sent order for a custom tune to Brenspeed to see if they can solve these problems.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:29 AM
8URGTO
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Comparison of tunes

Honestly, BAMA is one of the best tuners. Brenspeed is a great one too. If you just got a preprogrammed tune that came with the SCT, then when you get one of these tunes your car will not be the same. What kind of mods do you have?

I was going to get a Brenspeed tune for my car, but after a week and a couple of days waiting for the email tune, I gave up and went with BAMA... the best $50 I've spent on the car so far..well maybe except for the last fill up of gas. I can't vouch for Brenspeed except sometimes you can never get in touch with them, but BAMA made my car scream.

For just $50 and the email tune emailed to you within 12 hours....... WONDERFUL! Doug will be doing my tunes from here on out. You'll enjoy a different tune no matter it be with Bama or Brenspeed.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:24 AM
Spiffu
2nd Gear Member

Well, I probably won't get any kind of response from them until monday. And their site does say to allow up to a week to process tunes. I don't want a rushed job anyway.

See my sig for the mods I have.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:47 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I believe the Brenspeed camp has been real busy as of late involving updating their shop however I highly suggest their tune. They were the best out of the three I've tried. They also have some affiliation with B A M A chips. I use the 91 tune for warm months and the 93 tune for cool months and I always fill up with 93 octane. The change is done because of the difference in the air and to complement the tune it's best for me to use this system to get best results.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:49 AM
Spiffu
2nd Gear Member

What was your experience from your first up to your current (if Brenspeed) tune?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:39 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I had an evolution tune made because of the hype they receive from their press they got on their first Shelby GT500 to get into the nines in the mustang magazines. It was ok but really to be honest their isn't any comparison to Brenspeed. If you don't get that tune you will never know the difference. As they explain to me this is the tune that gives you the maximum performance before exceeding the recommend performance measures. I also had bama but it wasn't as strong as the evolution tune. Brenspeed is Superior in my humble opinion.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:26 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Bama, Brenspeed, VMP are all great fro Mailorder Tunes. People have done comparisons. Usually its luck of the draw which suits your car the best. Drivability/Responsealso seems to vary with car and/or the feel the driver prefers.

Bama might have a slight edge on GT Autos due to all the development time he put in on this application.
Brenspeed is the standard others are judged by. VMP has spent a lot of time on V6's and Forced Induction Applications.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:57 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: Spiffu

I'm wondering if people have changed tunes that came from the company that made the tuner like SCT and went to a performance shop like Brenspeed or Bamma.

Reason I ask is that the "custom" tune I got with my SCT livewire really hasn't made that much of a difference as been advertised. Typically people on the forums rave how it "wakes the car up" when they uploaded their tune and help fixes the throttle lag with the drive by wire, but I'm just not seeing any of that. All mine's done so far is make me use a more expensive octane gas and minus 5 mpg on average.

I've sent order for a custom tune to Brenspeed to see if they can solve these problems.
Most people who say that are talking about tunes from Bama, Brenspeed, VMP or whatever..........i had the canned diablo tune and didnt really feel anything either. You honeslty got suckered in on the whole canned tune vs custom tune from the tuners mentioned about.

Sorry dude, tons of info on this around here though and i am sure you will now make a better decision!

Old 03-30-2008, 11:07 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

The other thing to remember is there's only so much you can do to the system to 'wake it up', honestly, there's not much to choose between these tuners/tunes.
It's Human nature to jump up and down about your own [whatever] and moot it as the best so don't spend too much time sifting through personal wow-stories about tune performance. More important is customer service and reliability.

Expectation from something like a tune is also a player, folk want it to change their ride into a monster and by golly it's gonna do it regardless. An element of the placebo effect is very prevalent in tuning at these levels.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:37 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

My recent Bama 93 tune feels better than my Brenspeed tune, I love it!

Quick Reply: Comparison of tunes