Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEM Dryflow Airfilters

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:33 PM
ponypit
1st Gear Member

Default AEM Dryflow Airfilters

Well I'm at the point where I don't feel like re-oiling my K&N's anymore and I've been searching around for the dry filters that are out there. Today I stumbled on the AEM dryflow filters http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=93

Has anyone swapped their S&B/K&N for one of these? Seems like a neat concept, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them and/or noticed a difference in how the car runs with them. Let me know when you have some time.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:59 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: AEM Dryflow Airfilters

I think i'd take a chance on the amsoil filters first.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eaau.aspx
Old 03-30-2008, 09:13 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponypit

Well I'm at the point where I don't feel like re-oiling my K&N's anymore and I've been searching around for the dry filters that are out there. Today I stumbled on the AEM dryflow filters http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=93

Has anyone swapped their S&B/K&N for one of these? Seems like a neat concept, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them and/or noticed a difference in how the car runs with them. Let me know when you have some time.
Yes, I've tried both of these. They both seemed to be of equally good quality, however, the AEM filter didn't fit my Steeda intake very well, so I have switched to the Amsoil EAA filter.

The AEM seemed a bit more restrictive than the Amsoil. I believe it was because the AEM filter was so big that it was actually touching the top of hood. You can try either one, but it will probably be easier to find an Amsoil filter that will fit. Simply measure your filter and order.

I did a lot of reading on cotton gauze filters like the K&N. I'm not impressed at all with their ability to filter dust, not to mention the risk of over oiling and ruining a MAF sensor.

If you read AEM's website they don't hide the fact that the synthetic material is a bit more restrictive than cotton gauze like the K&N. The engineering data is right there.

The engineering reports also shows how poorly cotton gauze is at filtering air until the filter gets really dirty. A K&N filter traps dirt much better when it's dirty, because the dirt closes the holes in the cotton gauze. In comparison, the synthetic material filters great even when it's clean.

It seems to me that synthetic air filters are a good middle of the road solution. They offer better air flow than a paper element, less than cotton gauze, but do a far better job of filtering dirt than oiled cotton filters. They also offer less maintenance and are possibly more durable.

It seemed like my throttle response was just a little less with both synthetic filters. I've done blind tests with friends and they could also tell the difference. It's subtle, but it's there. The computer will easily adjust to the new airflow and otherwise the car runs fine.

I'd rather give up a small amount of airflow to protect my engine. In fact, I often wonder how well these generic cotton gauze air filters actually work, even when compared to a name brand like K&N. A cheap air filter that doesn't work very well will actually feel more powerful than a filter that's doing it's job.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:22 PM
ponypit
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wmtheflash

ORIGINAL: ponypit

Yes, I've tried both of these. They both seemed to be of equally good quality, however, the AEM filter didn't fit my Steeda intake very well, so I have switched to the Amsoil EAA filter.

The AEM seemed a bit more restrictive than the Amsoil. I believe it was because the AEM filter was so big that it was actually touching the top of hood. You can try either one, but it will probably be easier to find an Amsoil filter that will fit. Simply measure your filter and order.

I did a lot of reading on cotton gauze filters like the K&N. I'm not impressed at all with their ability to filter dust, not to mention the risk of over oiling and ruining a MAF sensor.

If you read AEM's website they don't hide the fact that the synthetic material is a bit more restrictive than cotton gauze like the K&N. The engineering data is right there.

The engineering reports also shows how poorly cotton gauze is at filtering air until the filter gets really dirty. A K&N filter traps dirt much better when it's dirty, because the dirt closes the holes in the cotton gauze. In comparison, the synthetic material filters great even when it's clean.

It seems to me that synthetic air filters are a good middle of the road solution. They offer better air flow than a paper element, less than cotton gauze, but do a far better job of filtering dirt than oiled cotton filters. They also offer less maintenance and are possibly more durable.

It seemed like my throttle response was just a little less with both synthetic filters. I've done blind tests with friends and they could also tell the difference. It's subtle, but it's there. The computer will easily adjust to the new airflow and otherwise the car runs fine.

I'd rather give up a small amount of airflow to protect my engine. In fact, I often wonder how well these generic cotton gauze air filters actually work, even when compared to a name brand like K&N. A cheap air filter that doesn't work very well will actually feel more powerful than a filter that's doing it's job.
To be honest I am leaning towards the Amsoil filters, however they're almost $90 by the time I get one into Canada....where the AEM's are a bit more available. Thanks for your comments though, definitely have something to think about.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:25 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

I don't think you can go wrong with the AEM. I don't have one on my Mustang, but I do have one on my other car. Like ponypit said, it's a little more restrictive than the cotton gauze, but it filters soooooooooooooo much better. The car I'm using it on had ~115k miles when I made the swap from oiled gauze. At my 120k oil change, the oil had gone back to clear and honey colored like when the truck was new, where with the oiled gauze, it was always black and opaque. I realize this isn't the most quantitative of tests, but it was convincing enough for me. I haven't gotten around to cleaning it yet, but it is a lot simpler than the oiled gauze filters. No more spraying with emulsifier, rinsing, spraying, rinsing, letting it dry overnight, spreading the oil, letting it sit for several hours so the oil soaks in completely, letting the excess oil drain off, andno more worries about whether or not you're going to foul the MAF because you over oiled the filter. Just a simple water bath, rinse, and let it dry.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:15 PM
dr350rider
1st Gear Member

I have the AEM Brute Force Intake. The filter doesn't flow as much as the K&N. I don't know if it makes much difference. The Dryflow still flows really well. I'm happy with it. I checked out the Amsoil website and those look good too. I can't say if either one flows better. It is awesome not having to deal with oiling a filter.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:12 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

What generic cotton gauze filter are you talking about? If it doesn't say K&N on it, then it's likely made by S&B.

I've been looking at the amsoil filters because I drive in a dust bowl, but i'm not so sure they will make much difference. Just look at how much difference there is between oiled cotton and paper.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm
Old 03-31-2008, 07:12 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

What generic cotton gauze filter are you talking about? If it doesn't say K&N on it, then it's likely made by S&B.

I've been looking at the amsoil filters because I drive in a dust bowl, but i'm not so sure they will make much difference. Just look at how much difference there is between oiled cotton and paper.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm
I thought there were more than two manufacturers of these things. What about AFE for example or the Green conical air filters out there? Or the air filter that came with my Steeda intake? I suppose the Steeda could be made by SB, hard to say. I'm sure there must be more than two manufacturers out there.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:23 PM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

good to know
Old 03-31-2008, 07:26 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

verygood info