Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eaton vs Whipple Twin Screws, which are better superchargers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default Eaton vs Whipple Twin Screws, which are better superchargers?

I thought i'd bring this up for discussion, I was looking around the Steeda website, and it looks like the Eaton is their official supercharger. Considering cost though (the eaton is cheaper by 25%, and costs less to instal), and the fact they make about the same hp (non ho) which is a more worthwhile buy for a mustang and why??
Old 03-30-2008, 09:28 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Eaton vs Whipple Twin Screws, which are better superchargers?

Umm more power
Old 03-30-2008, 09:48 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_4829364/tm.htm

You didn't read my thread.

http://www.steeda.com/news/steeda_ne...alibration.php
Old 03-30-2008, 09:52 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Eaton = Roots
Whipple = Twin Screw

Twin Screw > Roots
Whipple > Eaton
Old 03-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

I don't have a car that's compatibe with the tool I don't think (06), do you have a summary for you comparison of your whipple to their steeda supercharger?

Acascianelli, the Roots and Twin Screw are both Twin Screw superchargers technically. The Roots is just a "twin screw roots supercharger" or roots for short.

What do you think of this article on KB's website comparing those two supercharger types?

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ge...romcatalog.pdf
Old 03-30-2008, 10:02 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

This was my point. Not the bs adaptive control or whatever..\\

Comparison of Methods of Forced Induction

Whipple-Charger
Gen II

Centrifugal
Turbo
Roots

Throttle Response
Awesome Idle-To-Redline RPM Power. No Lag.
Poor Low-Speed Response, Similar To 'Turbo Lag'.
Power Low-Speed Response. Turbo Lag.
Good Low To Mid Range Power.

Driveability
Incresed Lugging Ability In Higher Gears. Increased Power Throughout RPM Range.
Must Downshift To Maintain Boost Level.
Must Downshift To Maintain Boost Level.
Increased Lugging Ability In Higher Gears.

Engine Torque Curve
Virtually Flat Curve; Ideal Characteristic.
Often Worse Than Uncharged Engine At Low Speeds.
Often Worse Than Uncharged Engine At Low Speeds.
Wide Range; Fall-Off Can Occur At High Speeds.

Heat Buildup
Low; Intercoolers Not Needed - But Recommended
Low; Intercoolers Not Needed - But Recommended
High; Intercooler Needed
High; Limits Boost Available - Intercooler Needed

Noise
Very Low Noise Levels.
Typically Very Noisy.
Medium Noise Levels.
Typically Very Noisy.

Adiabatic Efficiency
75-85%
60-78%
60-75% Peak
40-55%
Although the Twin Screw and Roots are both "positive displacement" superchargers the similarities end here. Size for size, the Twin Screw is simply more efficient even at modest boost levels. But, at high boost levels the Twin Screw technology simply vanquishes Roots designed superchargers. If you set aside the rhetoric and advertising claims, what really matters most is how EFFICIENT the supercharger is, its upper power potential, and the related torque power curve.

While the turbocharger creates great peak horsepower, turbo lag and high cold start emissions due to the increased thermal mass are significant turbocharger technology short falls. Overall, the new Whipple Gen II twin-screw supercharger delivers instant boost at all engine speeds and at a much superior overall efficiency of a Roots, Turbo, or Centrifugal design of forced induction.

What is a screw compressor and how does it work?

A screw compressor is a positive displacement machine that uses a pair of intermeshing rotors to produce compression. The rotors are essentially comprised of helical lobes that are affixed to a front and rear shaft. One rotor referred to as the male rotor will typically have three lobes. On the contrary, the other rotor referred to as the female rotor will typically have five valleys machined into it that match the curvature of the male lobes. However, the number of lobes on the male and the number of valleys on the female rotor can vary between compressor manufacturers. Nevertheless, the rotors never make contact with each other or the rotor housing, instead they are timed by a pair of gears operating in a lubricated chamber which is separated from the rotor chamber. With the 3-5 rotor combination, the male rotor turns 3 times for every one time of the female rotor. Hence, because of the number of male lobes there are three air compression cycles for every revolution of the male rotor.

Whipple Gen II Twin-Screw Operating Principals
Inlet Phase – The male and female rotors rotate counter to each other. As the lobes of each rotor travel past each inlet port at the rear entrance of the supercharger, air is trapped between consecutive lobes and the cylindrical casing. The air moves axially (forward) throughout the case and fill the inner-lobe space between adjacent lobes.

Compression Phase – As the rotors mesh, the air is trapped between the rotors and the casing. Continued rotation progressively reduces the volume occupied by the air resulting in an extremely efficient controlled compression.

Discharge Phase – Compression continues until the inner-lobe space becomes exposed to the outlet port, through which the air is discharged into the manifold.

The compression sequence continues on all rotor segments simultaneously. Also, the synchronized timing of the rotors assures that rotor interference never occurs assuring long life, consistent performance, and low parasitic losses.

The screw compressor is by far the best supercharger available today; it’s the only supercharger to provide a positive displacement design for maximum low-end torque as well as high efficiency for maximum top-end horsepower. No other supercharger in the world can offer the same unique benefits. Centrifugal superchargers and turbochargers either have significant lag time during shift points, on-off throttle response deficiencies, or inadequate off the line boost. Furthermore, Roots-type superchargers have been proven to be less efficient, especially at higher boost levels.

MADE IN THE USA

Whipple GENERATION II – Exclusive New Features

Whipple superchargers are the most efficient means of dramatic power increases on today’s modern engines. With Whipple’s unique 3/5 rotor profile, Whipple flows more air in smaller packages, at lower temperatures and drastically lower parasitic drag.

No other positive displacement supercharger compares to the potential airflow at such a lower compressor rpm. Whipple Generation II rotor profile has risen the performance bar again, with increased flow across the board, yet the identical rotor diameter and length, allowing even better packaging.

Actual Comparison Test
Key Points:
[ul][*]Whisper quiet operation, zero increase in idle noise (Eaton and other positive displacement blowers all have gear rattle at idle)[*]Generation II rotor profile increased volumetric efficiency to an average of 95-99% throughout the engines operating range (1.4-2.4psi), giving peak boost levels and maximum power throughout the rpm range[*]More air at lower blower speeds mean increased torque, dramatically increased throttle response for pure customer satisfaction[*]Increased volumetric efficiency allows lower blower speeds for decreased power consumption and lower discharge temps, which equals more power across the rpm range[*]Increased rotor sealing for less back leakage from high boost levels, which equals lower discharge temps[*]@ 1.6psi, with the Eaton TVS 2300 turning 14,000rpm, W140ax requires 15kw less power to equal the same flow.[*]@ 1.6psi,with the Eaton TVS 2300 turning 14,000rpm, W140ax produces 20deg C lower discharge temps for far greater power potential.[*]As compressor speed increases, Whipple 140ax continues to pull away from Eaton TVS. This allows for better peak horsepower.[*]Robust design for extreme applications, double angular front bearings that offer far greater strength than other positive displacement superchargers.[*]Whipple rotor profile designed to minimize rotor-to-rotor contact, ensuring that seizure is nearly impossible.[*]Advanced PTFE seals for 100,000+ mile reliability.[*]Cast aluminum housing allows for lower cool down time than billet housings[*]-Bolt on pulleys for simple boost adjustment (2 minutes)[*]Precision cut helical gears for quiet operation and trouble free operation[*]Whipple’s flow characteristic gives the best of all worlds, peak flow and low power consumption at low speeds for industry leading torque and throttle response, while increased flow and low power consumption at high rpms produces the best peak HP. [/ul]Superior Engineering

Every Whipple product goes through extensive research and development to ensure proper operation in all applications. Their standard development practice involves the measurement of over 100 parameters utilizing their own custom designed data acquisition computers. Measurements inclu
Old 03-30-2008, 10:05 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

To answer the question about the KB article

Steeda

Following is a chart that depicts the advantages/disadvantages of each of the various forced induction methods in a non-biased format.

ORIGINAL: Legion5

What do you think of this article on KB's website comparing those two supercharger types?

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ge...romcatalog.pdf
Old 03-30-2008, 10:09 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

took out an m5 like 15 minutes ago in my centrifugal novi 1200 (liquid air exchanger) stang ...not that that helps you but it is a supercharger...and a mustang...and i wanna brag if i could, i woulda gone with the TS but i do love my centri up in the high rpms. (highway pulls)
Old 03-30-2008, 10:25 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

You have over 600 posts and have been a member far too long. Sorry, but frankly I think you asking this question is dumb given based on your stats you've already read over 1000 posts on the subject. You know darn well they don't make the 'same' HP. Try the search field.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: modaddict

You have over 600 posts and have been a member far too long. Sorry, but frankly I think you asking this question is dumb given based on your stats you've already read over 1000 posts on the subject. You know darn well they don't make the 'same' HP. Try the search field.
and you know darn well that I said 'non-ho', and because i DID know the answer to the question i made the thread.

I agree wit you/

To all others: so in your oppinion considering the whipple i more expensive than other superchargers as I've outlined above, is it worth it (incase it wasn't obvious the whipple uses less boost than the roots)?

Quick Reply: Eaton vs Whipple Twin Screws, which are better superchargers?