Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Clean Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:47 AM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How to Clean Engine Bay

keeping my engine bay clean is simple. I dont drive unless its sunny and warm and no dusty roads. 14 months later, i could put her back in the dealer showroom floor.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

I have 50k on my engine and it's my daily driver. I posted my pic earlier in the thread...

Again, I have never covered anything and my car ALWAYS starts right up. I don't cover the air filter either. I take that time to clean it and then to recharge it.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:51 AM
illini4
1st Gear Member

Over the past 45 years I've cleaned countless engine compartments by seveal methods including pressurized car wash; andGunk, Orange Blast, or Purple Power, followed bya garden hose rinse. Never had a problem except in the old days when distrubuter cap/rotor and points were still around, moisture would sometimes collect in the cap and short across the terminals.Compressed air or towel drying would quickly correct that. That's today's history lesson!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Getaway
2nd Gear Member

Let the engine cool before washing. Do not pressure wash as it forces water into electrical connections. A soft flowing water from a hose is OK.

Armorall deteriorates plastics over time. Hard plastics will become soft. I would only use Armorall on my tires since I replace them yearly...but there are better tire dressings out there.

Hot Engine + Cold Water = Cracked Block
Rapid uneven cooling can also damage seals.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:27 PM
dcottrell6
1st Gear Member

You should be fine using any pf the methods described.
Even the owners manual tells you how to do it.

I prefer Simple Green and the spot free rinse on my Mr Clean car wash unit.

After rinsing, I use the blower of a small shop vac to take care of any water collecting on the engine.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:19 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

I wipe off the engine compartment with a dry microfiber towel every time I open the hood. When I wash the car, I use a damp rag and wipe everything I can reach with the damp rag and then follow it up with a dry towel. Three years later, the engine looks better then the day I bought it.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

Pressure washing isnt that bad if your just using the one at a car wash, they are meant to be used on your vehicle and arent THAT high power. I would make sure you let the car cool down (I always let it sit cause i do the brakes and calibers too). DONT USE ARMORALL. Be very careful what you use on your hoses cause not only can something like armorall cause them to crack, but other products can cause them to pop off if you get too much of the cleaner around the seams. I hear people say you can mess up your injectors and wiring and stuff, but I really havent ever heard of that really happening to anyone, its always been a second hand thing. But as mentioned earlier I always cover the air cone and would cover anything else that you may be worred about exposing. Odds are you wont even need a degreaser, the car wash hose will get it all off just fine.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:59 AM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

Off topic, but..............I use Simple Green on my dirtbike after riding in the mud. Spray the enitre bike, let soak until dry, pressure wash, done. No scrubbing involved. Also get's rid of all the chain lube spray.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:10 AM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Maverickaf17

Oh my god... DO NOT...I repeat again for you guys who said it....DO NOT hose down your engine.

Yeah, you drive in the rain, but do you drive without a hood or with a huge *** opening in the front? No. Hosing your engine down is just dumb, no offense guys.

Do yourself a favor and spend an extra ten minutes doing it the right way. Go to the store and buy Armor-All Cleaning Wipes for cars. Then use the wipes to wipe away the grim and dirt. When I want to clean my engine bay, I just use those. Fifteen minutes and it looks new from the factory.

You COULD use water, but not from the hose. You would need a spray bottle that has a precise shooter. Hose is too powerful and too open to use on an engine.

Anyways, that's my advice. GL.
I personally, say NO to Armor-All brand......period.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:29 AM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

miloman do you dilute the simple green?

Quick Reply: How to Clean Engine Bay