Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"2 DTC" P0340 and P0344

Old 03-31-2008, 12:09 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default RE: "2 DTC" P0340 and P0344

so, in all likliehood it could be my alternator...the reasoning behind this I am thinking is since the last time this happened....the battery died in a short period of time...another possibility is, if it is interference...there is allot udner my hood that could cause it with the saleen installed (such as the relay for the intercooler etc....) if interference ...is there any problems that could arise...again..with these codes I am not Getting the symptoms of the cam positions sensor which state, backfiring, hiccups, rough idle etc.....the car runs as normal....just the codes...if it is in fact the sensor? it looks pretty straightforward to replace....however if it is in that nightmare wiring that is in that big loom....YIKES...that could be fun to find...
Old 03-31-2008, 12:12 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frd06GT

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit
P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Intermittent
Ok, So I got both these codes..last year I got the p0340 in the summer when it was hot and most felt it was the alternator. I did not replace the alt, then one day came out and my battery was dead...so I replaced the battery and it was fine up until a couple weeks ago the p0340 code came out on a really hot day...cleared the code...and no issues until last night...then p0340....cleared it and started car today and drove it to work..it has no issues running at all..but CEL came on again..read DTC and got 2 codes this time p0340 and p0344...so do I just replace the alternator already? how hard is it to replace..I have the saleen Supercharger on it..any help is greatly appreciated...(by the way..warranty is expired so going to dealership really not an option and they probably would not cover anyway due to saleen s/c moves alternator location and they would try to blame that) also if I do replace alternator,,,,where to get...thx[/align]
I'm glad you posted this, I have the same codes and I took it in for analternator (per TSB)on Friday and I STILL have the both codes! The dealer cleared the codes and the come back the next time I start it. I loaded the stock calibration, still codes, reloaded the 93 tune, still codes.

The dealer is like WTF! I hope an alt. fixes yours, but beware that it may not. I will post up the results from this weeks visit, shooting for Thursday.

yeah let me know...please.....did the dealer in deed replace your alternator? what other aftermarket mods on your car? its tough to take my 05 in to dealer now as it is expired warranty and with the alternator relocate with the saleen series vi install..they will probably just laugh me out of the building anyways....are tsb's covered regardless of warranty status? I did not think they were ...but figured i would ask....
Old 03-31-2008, 01:03 PM
frd06GT
2nd Gear Member

Dealer did install a new alternator on Friday, (I'm friends with the tech so I was in the shop during the work). I have a CAI, Steeda UDPs, Breenspeed Tune w/Xcal2.

Cleared the codes, changed tune back stock, but made no difference with the codes.

TSBS are not recalls, normal warranty terms apply.

We were running out of time, late on Friday, but he did look at the sensor data and said it looked like either both were bad (unlikely, but possible) or there was an open in the wiring harness. More testing needed. So its going back in later this week.

I will let you know what he finds

Old 03-31-2008, 02:03 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

the thing that still gets me about this whole issue, is that when it happened last summer....eventually my battery was dead one morning....I replaced the battery and the code only came back once or twice on very hot days,,,,,now that was way back in August. have not had the code since then up until a very warm day like 2 weeks ago then last night and today...electrical crap always frustrates [:@]me because of the variables....with this I just cant fathom why the time period lapse and why it just decided to start up again..one would think that if the alternator was bad...it would have drained the new battery etc...and whats the relation between the code and the heat (however today and last night it was very cool out) I plan to look at the wiring harness that the sensor goes into....since we did just move some of the harness around to replace the valve covers (However I will note that code came back before we did this the 1st time) I will look at the sensors themselves etc...then I guess ultimately repalce the alternator....this sux[:@]
Old 03-31-2008, 03:03 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

if it is the alternator....where to get....lethal has PA...do I need to get a 200amp or just go with the direct replacement 135? 200 more power...however no aftermarket stereo equip?
Old 03-31-2008, 06:16 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

I'm another victim to the P0340 code. Turns out 99% of the time its a bad alternator. something about the stock 05 and 06 alternator crapping out on high revs. Ford recommends replacing it with motorcraft GL920 135 amp ($395 at rockauto.com). I thought about upgrading to200 amp, but then i foundout it requires new wiring harness to hold the extra amps. Ford should put a recall on this problem but since it is not a safety issue, they will probably ignore it and hope the alternators die after 36,000 miles.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:39 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jersey Stang

I'm another victim to the P0340 code. Turns out 99% of the time its a bad alternator. something about the stock 05 and 06 alternator crapping out on high revs. Ford recommends replacing it with motorcraft GL920 135 amp ($395 at rockauto.com). I thought about upgrading to200 amp, but then i foundout it requires new wiring harness to hold the extra amps. Ford should put a recall on this problem but since it is not a safety issue, they will probably ignore it and hope the alternators die after 36,000 miles.
or 3 years....[:'(]...what about the pa alternator from lethal for 259 for 130 amp? is taht one any good
Old 04-01-2008, 07:35 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

or 3 years....[:'(]...what about the pa alternator from lethal for 259 for 130 amp? is taht one any good
I gave them a call and they didn't sound very confident about their alternator. basically they were saying the problem could repeat. I think they sell refurbished alternators to keep the price very low. To me,I'd rathergowith anew part...one that is stock in the 08's. I plan to keep my car for the next 20 years....so i'll stick with new parts.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:14 AM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jersey Stang

The problem with the PA alternators is the new alternator cable. It's a nice thick 4 Gauge I believe, cable and the longest one they have will not fit the saleen supercharger correctly you would have to buy 2 cables to make the length you need. I currently have a PA cable I purchased when I fried my alternator cable. It would not reach so I bought a cheap cable from ford and spliced in part of my cable that wasn't fried.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:14 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ok...so if I buy the alternator( Ford recommends replacing it with motorcraft GL920 135 amp ($395 at rockauto.com).
which is freaking insane price....but anyhow..no core exchange...I could use the stock cables ...correct? and also should I just spend the 44$ and replace both camshaft position sensors? I may actually do that first....how hard is it to replace them...it looks pretty straight forward...do I just cut and splice in the new ones? or do they come complete to go all the way back to the PCM/?? anyone have a clue on the install or the how etc....I keep clearing the light and it comes back on pretty quickly now...the thing about it is..no car issues at all though...no rough idling nothing...just the CEL....and the codes....no slow crank or any issue with battery yet and when I run down the road no issues...but I am assuming I am on borrowed time and eventually the alternator (if it is that...will go and then my recently new battery will follow....) any advice is still welcomed guys...thx...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "2 DTC" P0340 and P0344