Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just a thought...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:01 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Default just a thought...

Has anybody else ever done this?

I always wanted a S/C but never thought I could afford one. Instead, I have managed to add (including tires/rims and installation costs) $8400 in aftermarkets...

I could have saved my money and spent much less and had what i wanted...instead, i have a N/A S197 with all the bolt-ons (that cost more than a S/C) and I'm still slower than that F/I'd stang that spent less than I did.

Dont get my wrong, I love my car...just have these random thoughts every once in a while

FYI: newest additionto sig is Tokico D-spec's, BMR LCA's, CamberPlates...
Old 04-01-2008, 12:10 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: just a thought...

thats why i like my credit card, I can make 800 dollar payments easy but coming up with the 7k I needed to pay it all off at once was the hard part.

Cervini's Hood
Cervini's C series ducktail
GT500 Conversion
Saleen Supercharger 3.2 Pulley
Sequential Turn Signals
Shelby Razor 18" - KDW2 tires
39# injectors
HT0 Spark plugs gapped .030
Steeda CAI
Stef's Oil Seperator
Steeda Carbon Fiber inlet tube
Ford GT Twin pumps
Xenon Quarter and Window scoops
Shaved Antenna
Painted Half mirror covers
Smoked Turn signal covers
Clear rear bumper covers
Bassani Axleback
Kooks Headers and O/R Xpipe
BMR A-Arm Brace
Rotorpros Rotors
Polyurethane Motor Mounts
MRT Hood Struts
Autometer Boost Gauge
Aeroforce Gauge
MSD coil on plugs
Full rear blackout GTS& Xenon
B&M Hi-Tek Cooling System
BMR Lower Control Arms
BMR UCA
Waterpump Overdrive pulley
Rebuilt 5r55 - On its way to shop.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:16 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

yeah, i can put it on a credit card too...i just prefer not to get myself in any kind of credit card dept right now...got enough with the new house, the car, wife, and brand new baby...they keep my money pretty well spent...
Old 04-01-2008, 12:18 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Wow. $800/month credit card payments for mods. God bless america.
I think I'd rather own a GT500 for those payments. I'm thinking it will hold it's value a bit better...
Old 04-01-2008, 12:23 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chain1

Wow. $800/month credit card payments for mods. God bless america.
I think I'd rather own a GT500 for those payments. I'm thinking it will hold it's value a bit better...
800 bucks is nothing compared to what I make sorry I love my car and wouldn't trade it for a gt500 ever.

Oh and I ment I only put the supercharger on the credit card everything else is paid for wohoo. I consider 6 - 8 months of 800 dollar payment an even trade for the supercharger. Did I mention I love my car
Old 04-01-2008, 12:29 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Sevenleaf - I'm with you man. But, money means different things to different people. There's a guy in my local club who has $798/mo payments on his '04 Saleen SC 'vert. Every time someone in the club brings up the topic of car payments, invariably someone always says "That's a mortgage!" We just look at each other and laugh...

To the OP - yes, I made that mistake with my last car. That's why with this one, it was CAI/tune (Steeda, it works with the Saleen blower), then my very next mod was the blower and gauges. Why bother with UDPs, CMCV delete plates, gears, blah blah yata yata.. Like you said, you end up with WAY more than the cost of the blower into the car, and it's still not as fast as you want it.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:32 PM
rad_rob
3rd Gear Member

I usually just pay for mods in cash too. I hate putting myself into more and more debt. I just recently got my credit cards paid off, and it feels amaaazing. lol.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:45 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Its not as bad as you think! I figure with suspension mods and bolt ons, I've spent about $3K extra. Not too far off from F/I. But I dont regret it, because with FI comes a possible engine blowup. And as my only daily driver that I still owe $10k on, that would be a nightmare. And I'd be nervous to drive it hard. Also, the clutch may go out early, the tranny may blow, the rearend, and I would need guages to be safe, etc etc etc. Probably traction too.

So I am definately thankful I went bolton over FI, I just can't afford the risk and associated needs. If the days comes that I'm rich, I'll definately go crazy with whatever sports car I drive.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:50 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Its not as bad as you think! I figure with suspension mods and bolt ons, I've spent about $3K extra. Not too far off from F/I. But I dont regret it, because with FI comes a possible engine blowup. And as my only daily driver that I still owe $10k on, that would be a nightmare. And I'd be nervous to drive it hard. Also, the clutch may go out early, the tranny may blow, the rearend, and I would need guages to be safe, etc etc etc. Probably traction too.

So I am definately thankful I went bolton over FI, I just can't afford the risk and associated needs. If the days comes that I'm rich, I'll definately go crazy with whatever sports car I drive.
I agree!!!, I got another 5 thousand going into my transmission as we speak, then in 6 months I got another 5 grand going into the motor.

Ofcourse i'm not even close to being rich but I have a good job that pays well. I have a nicebig house with a huge yard and pool, 2dogs, 2 cats an african gray parrot and my220 gallon saltwater tank. Plus my significant other makes more $$$ then I do so I KNOW that helps me a lot.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:53 PM
docwine
1st Gear Member

Couple hundred in tools and a big garage helps cut down on those costs. I've only done a few mods, but I've done them so there is no labor. Gears will be different, I'd screw that up.

Quick Reply: just a thought...