Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets face it GM better get it togehter

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 07:24 PM
05Retro
3rd Gear Member

Default Lets face it GM better get it togehter

After reading many posts knocking the GTO I see there are many people out there who feel like I do. There hasn't been a nice GTO put out since the very early 70's, with the best years being from 65 to 67. Lets face it how many cars from any of the Big Three are anything to look at but the Ford Mustang and why because of the retro look mostly and cost also. The new GTO would be a great seller like the Mustang if it was wrapped in a retro 65 look. How about a nice retro 67 Chevelle SS instead of an Impala SS or SSR. I've turned away from GM for just such reasons and am a proud owner of a 05 Mustang. How many more people are out there with the same fellings.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13839/E977AA12FD0749BF9C854C65FF8EF8B4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: Lets face it GM better get it togehter

05Retro:

I have to say I pretty much agree with you. Chrysler is making the same mistake with the new Charger.

These car makers are bring out or back old Name Plates with cars that look NOTHING like the product line. If Chrysler were smart, they would model the charger to at least look somewhat like the 68 through 70 line, which is the charger everyone liked. GM needs a throwback to the Camaro and or possibly their Chevelle SS, which was also an AWESOME Muscle car. I can't believe Pontiac completely missed the boat and is trying to call their new car a GTO. I don’t believe very many prior GTO owners will flock to it like old mustang owners are flocking to the new Mustang.

We have to watch and see… These guys CAN move pretty fast when they really want to.

Ford has and still is proving that making a car TRUE to is Nameplate WORKS. They even tried it with success with the Jag Convertible. (Ford owns Jag).

When you think about it… the Mustang today has NO true direct competition. It now is in a class all by itself. True, there are other “FAST” cars we can race… but in comparing cars that you would race, there will be a huge disparity between Price, and classification, of car.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:32 PM
yellowjacket05

ORIGINAL: 05Retro

After reading many posts knocking the GTO I see there are many people out there who feel like I do. There hasn't been a nice GTO put out since the very early 70's, with the best years being from 65 to 67. Lets face it how many cars from any of the Big Three are anything to look at but the Ford Mustang and why because of the retro look mostly and cost also. The new GTO would be a great seller like the Mustang if it was wrapped in a retro 65 look. How about a nice retro 67 Chevelle SS instead of an Impala SS or SSR. I've turned away from GM for just such reasons and am a proud owner of a 05 Mustang. How many more people are out there with the same fellings.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13839/E977AA12FD0749BF9C854C65FF8EF8B4.jpg[/IMG]
I bought a 2005 GTO and I still could not agree more with your post. The GTO is styled as it is because GM had no intention of bringing it back until Bob Lutz showed up and wanted a GTO for 2004, the 40th anniversary of GTO. The only car GM made in the world that was a 2 door rwd performance car was the Australian Holden Monaro, so he used that, which is a very well built and capable platform to use. They can only import 18,000 due to some tarrif laws or something, so even if it look more retro and sold out, thats all they can build. Also, remember there is not a sub 20,000.00 v6 GTO or lemans to build up sales volume.
GM is missing the boat by building only expensive performance cars and using retro designs on low volume SSR trucks that are not exactly affordable or practible, though cool.
I sure hope the Mustang sales continue to soar and a new "retro" Camaro with the LS2 comes out in a few years so we all would really have a direct competitor to talk about!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:43 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Very true...although i am an avid Mustang fan, i am also a fan of the 60's style camaro. if Chevy puts out this car with a vette engine in it and it looks like a refined '67 Camaro SS, there will be two retro style muscle cars in my garage...

I'll be broke as a joke but driving in style!!!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:58 PM
Mustang Novice
1st Gear Member

A retro Chevelle SS!!!!!! - Don't tease us like that!!!!!

You Chevy guys should call GM with that idea. Maybe they would let you be the first to buy one.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:27 PM
05AV6
1st Gear Member

If GM every puts out a "retro" Camaro, it will cost $35,000 you can bet on it. GM has left the folks that keep them alive behind, namely the working man of this country. Look at all the crap they make for the rich and famous, Cadillac Trucks...give me a break!!!!!. I have always been a Chevy man, GM told me he if you want a Chevy you can have this pukey little piece of crap Cobalt for $20,000 ( a little more if you want an SS ) or you can own a half million dollar vette, or perhaps a $30,000 dollar funky looking Camaro. GM is lost, they have NO direction, their designs come from an alien world. I made the switch to Ford, and I'm damn glad I did.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:27 PM
05Retro
3rd Gear Member

When I bought my 05 Mustang I traded an 05 Dodge Magnum RT with the Hemi in it. I did like the styling of the car with that chopped top look but the Mustang won me over once I drove it. When do you remember a 4 door Charger that looks like it has a nose off a Rambler.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Phillyblunt474
2nd Gear Member

The new looks of the 05 mustang is great, and everyone is loving the retro. But Ford is gonna have a few bumps to get over with it. They are going to decide after this model line is over, will they keep with the retro look, or make another large jump to the modern look that many other car companies are shooting for now. Pontiac the the GTO was... well pertty bad.... the GTO looks like every other Pontiac out there cept for differnt badging on the outside and 2 doors. The one thing I am very impressed with from GM is the new vette. A friend just bought his and he let me drive it... and wow.. i was speechless. It looks great, and pulls better then i have ever driven.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:54 PM
05AV6
1st Gear Member

And whats the price tag on that Vette?
Old 04-13-2005, 10:59 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Well there isn't much that has been said here that I wouldn't have said on my own. In other words I completely agree. My entire adult life I have been dedicated GM man, but I really started loosing my faith in GM when they stopped producing the Camaro and Firebird. To do even more to push me and others away, they appeared to have supplied their design teams with all the free crack they wanted. Hence the absolutely hideous Cadillac pickups and SUV's that are littering the streets. I totally agree that GM has forgotten the working people who are the backbone of the U.S.A.
I was really sold on the styling of the new Mustang but I wasn't convinced until I had a look at it's technical aspects. It was then I decided I MUST have this car. I haven't seen anything this nice at such a reasonable price come from a car manufacturer since 1970. I was too young then to drive. Now I have my chance. Thank you Ford!
In my research into the 05 Mustang I discovered that I hadn't been paying attention for the last few years. I discovered that Ford has been up to some pretty cool stuff like the 04 Cobra, Mach1, Bullit, ect.
Cars like the Mustang are one of the things that I really like about north American culture. Affordable performance that allows one to really express themselves. Working with cars is a great pastime. It's given me the opportunity to learn many valuable skills and it was a lot of fun along the way. I had practically given up on my hobby but the new Mustang has rekindled that spirit. Ford has really done it right by making the GT affordable and the V6 even more affordable.
GM and Chrysler have totally missed the mark. I think Ford is going to run with this one
I can't see the Mustang loosing any momentum any time soon.

Quick Reply: Lets face it GM better get it togehter