Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help w/ Avic-D3 and Metra Amplified Antenna ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:47 PM
nbd13
2nd Gear Member

Default Need Help w/ Avic-D3 and Metra Amplified Antenna ASAP!

Hey guys,

I have an '06 GT AUTOand I just finished installing the Avic-D3 and the Metra amplified deluxe antenna. I followed the "how to" instructions in the sticky threads at the top of this forum. I have a few questions that I need help with ASAP. I need to get my car back together! THE CAR USED TO HAVE A SHAKER 500 SYSTEM. I also DID DO the "BYPASS" mod for the Avic-D3 that lets you watch movies while driving, if this matters at all for my questions....

1. Do the buttons on the Avic-D3 stay illuminated all the time? I took the orange with white stripe wire from the pioneer harness that plugs into theback of the Avic-D3 and ran that to the headlight switch like it says in these directions, BUT the buttons are illuminated all the time, even when the headlights are OFF? Is this right or no??? I just did NOT use the orange with white stripe wire from the metra harness that plugs into the ford harness, did I do this right? I tapped into the same wire that the picture shows in the link below. Not sure if the buttons should be illuminated all the time though?

https://mustangforums.com/m_3581800/tm.htm

2. I cannot get power to my metra amplified antenna???? I tried to follow TacoBills directions, but he has a MANUAL and the keyed 12v wire he uses is already being used in my AUTO, so can someone help me???? I need a keyed 12V wire that will stay on 10 minutes after the car is turned off??? Where can I locate on in my car?

Thanks for any help here guys!

Nick
Old 04-04-2008, 10:01 AM
nbd13
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need Help w/ Avic-D3 and Metra Amplified Antenna ASAP!

Anyone at all have any advice?

Thanks,

Nick
Old 04-04-2008, 10:31 AM
d4rb
4th Gear Member

I can't help with #2, but yes, the buttons are illuminated all the time. The buttons and LCD display will dim when you turn on the headlights with that wire hooked up. Otherwise, trust me, the display is WAY too bright at night.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Well the radio should have one shouldn't it. It stays on after the car shuts off. Why can't you just share it or share the one that's already in use?
Old 04-04-2008, 10:39 AM
d4rb
4th Gear Member

After reading #2 again, I was going to say the same as above. You could just splice into the wire.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:44 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Find the SJB in the passengers sidekick panel.
You need the ACC delay power?
The fuse for any item thats powered by the ACC delay
will work. Get a fuse tapper at AutoZone and replace
any ACC delay powered device fuse with the tapper.
Or the OEM stereo power connector C290D (its big
and TAN in color)on the rear of the audio unit.
Pin 2, Grey W/ Yellow tracer, 20 guage wire.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile...Navigation.pdf
Old 04-05-2008, 08:03 AM
nbd13
2nd Gear Member

Hey guys,

Thanks, Ok so I am not worried about #1 anymore...but for number 2....

I would think I could use a wire that the radio uses because like you said it is on after the car if off, but I am not sure which wire to use....does anyone know?

157db- Are you sure that's what I need? I am not sure if I need the ACC delay power, do I? Or are you not sure? I would hate to run wire there and not be able to use it. I do NOT have an OEM stero anymore, I have the Avic-D3, so will that wire still work or no? The wire I have is 8 gauge, so will it work to tap into a 20 gauge wire?

Is there anyone else out there that can tell me what wire I can tap into for the metra amplified antenna that is a keyed 12V one that will stay on for 10 minutes after the car is off? Anyone with the Avic-D3 and the metra antenna do this before? Someone has to be able to help me out here?

Thanks,

Nick
Old 04-05-2008, 11:22 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: nbd13

Hey guys,

Thanks, Ok so I am not worried about #1 anymore...but for number 2....

I would think I could use a wire that the radio uses because like you said it is on after the car if off, but I am not sure which wire to use....does anyone know?

157db- Are you sure that's what I need? I am not sure if I need the ACC delay power, do I? Or are you not sure? I would hate to run wire there and not be able to use it. I do NOT have an OEM stero anymore, I have the Avic-D3, so will that wire still work or no? The wire I have is 8 gauge, so will it work to tap into a 20 gauge wire?

Is there anyone else out there that can tell me what wire I can tap into for the metra amplified antenna that is a keyed 12V one that will stay on for 10 minutes after the car is off? Anyone with the Avic-D3 and the metra antenna do this before? Someone has to be able to help me out here?

Thanks,

Nick
OEM stereo or not, the wire I described is on as
long as the accessory delay is on as shown in
the Ford workshop manual I linked to.

Or the OEM stereo power connector C290D (its big
and TAN in color)on the rear of the audio unit.
Pin 2, Grey W/ Yellow tracer, 20 guage wire.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile...Navigation.pdf
Also, does the Avis D3 have a lead fora powerantenna or an
external audio amplifier turn on lead?
You could use one of these to power the amplified antenna?
Or just hook the Metro power lead to constant 12V as it only draws
microamps and you would not even notice it.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

I cut and pasted this from the D3 Manual...

Just splice into this wire on the radio and you will be fine!!! I know people don't like them but you can use a a T-Tap if you want. I run them with no problem from the same wire to my radar detector.

Just like this...

Old 04-06-2008, 01:34 PM
nbd13
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies guys,

157db- So, the D-3 does have a power antenna that I am NOT using. Do you think this will stay on 10 minutes after the car is off? Meaning that I could use that?

Boozshey- So do I tap into the red wire before the ford harness, between the metra harness and pioneer harness or somewhere else? I think the way you have it shown I tap into it before the ford harness correct? Also does this red wire supply power up to 10 minutes after the car is off? So is this a keyed 12V wire then I take it?

Thanks for the help guys!

Nick

Quick Reply: Need Help w/ Avic-D3 and Metra Amplified Antenna ASAP!