Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaking of rattles...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 09:55 PM
levi

Default Speaking of rattles...

When I took my fisrt drive in the new Stang there was not a rattle to be heard and I thought just maybe Ford had gotten right. By the time I got to 1000 miles I had the cold start rattle due to the missing transmission bolts. by 1500 miles the right front door started to rattle every time I hit a bump. By 2000 miles the dash started to rattle if the temperature gets down to about 50 degrees. At 3000 miles the drivers side door has started to rattle and now at 3300 miles there is another rattle underneath the back of the car that I have the pleasure of hearing on every bump. It seem like everytime I hit a small bump there is a new rattle somewhere.

Not sure but the way the body on this car is loosening up something has got to fall off soon ???

Seems that the reason that Ford put the 500 watt sound system in the car is to cover up the rattles.

Anyone else experincing this with your GT?
Old 04-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Shifty
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Speaking of rattles...

Stuff is supposed to rattle when you hit bumps. Quit hitting bumps and quit complaining about nothing.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:51 AM
Scottsat
2nd Gear Member

The Mustang is a "performance car" not so much of a "luxury car" My old BMW still has that "road feel" BMW's are famous for...
And I like it......Same with the Mustang, you "feel" more.....more in control of you vehicle....
Small noises, live with them to a certain extent

I really try to watch the road.....In San Antonio there are "Pot Holes" everywhere......I just try to avoid them.

Later and enjoy the Mustang.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/13237/4D6F4818D1884940803478F2895A0BE0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-15-2005, 12:56 AM
levi

Thank you for well tought out response..

I guess you must be right and it must be part of the retro thing to design in all of the older mustang characteristics such as the rattles which would only bother some one who cares. Silly me for caring...

But for your response to stop hitting bumps well... that one must have taken some work.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:24 AM
levi

Scott..

I agree with you that you need to be careful on the roads. I am talking about the lane change types of bumps which are a fact of life for all drivers and we must all cross them. I have had four other Mustangs that all had plenty of rattles but I had high expectations for this new one. Noises come with time but should not be present when the car is new. It is embarassing to have people ride in your new car and comment about it's a nice car but sure rattles alot for being so new.

I am not complaining about the performance of the car but want to be able to say that this is the best mustang built and the quality is as good as the ricers.

We spend so much time talking about how fast it is and how it sounds it seems like we are sending Ford the message that as long as it still runs it's great. I think that this may be the wrong message in the long run for american cars mussle or other wise.

This my opinion and may not be share by all....
Old 04-15-2005, 02:31 AM
Shifty
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: levi
as long as it still runs it's great.
Yep. If you wanted somthing that didn't rattle, maybe you should have bought a German status symbol with no go?
Old 04-15-2005, 08:00 AM
qutec2005

I take the time to make my own TSB on the rattles in 05 Mustangs.

Complaint: Rattles from doors, dash and other areas.

Solution: Shaker 1000 or aftermarket system upgrades as needed.

Q
Old 04-15-2005, 08:44 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I have about 7,000 miles on it with no rattles. I used to have the gear shift rattle but I put some leather cleaner on it and now it doesn't rattle. Hopefully today I will get my new mac exhaust installed and I will never worry about a rattle period.

qutec2005 , how about an attachment of your car that is handsome.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:54 AM
MustangBuddha

I have had some of the same experiences with rattles in my V6. I have found that if I work with the various trim pieces in the area of the rattle, I can usually get the rattle to stop. e.g., the drivers side door rattle in my car turned out to be the trim over the A-pillar. I just pushed and shifted in various places until the rattle stopped - I've put another 1K miles on since, and it hasn't come back. In another car it was the door trim itself, which could be shifted around until the rattle stopped. I get the cold weather dash rattle as well (actually, mine's more of a low frequency squeak), and I can get it to temporarily stop if I hold the dash pad forward with my hand - this tells me that it simply needs to be tightened up a bit, probably with a strategicly placed spacer, or if that doesn't work, some plastic-friendly lubricant in exactly the right spot.

I believe that, for the most part, the structural integrity is intact - the important stuff seems to be pretty well assembled (on my car). It's just the superficial items that are "relaxing" with time, but most of those rattles can be corrected with minor effort and neglegible expense. All it really takes is a little affinity for quality and tinkering to correct these otherwise insignificant problems.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:42 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

one rattle in my trunk was the jack under the spare had loosened. just put a small piece of rubber under it