Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to buy 05 Mustang or 05 GTO? I need help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 09:59 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What to buy 05 Mustang or 05 GTO? I need help...

I think the GTO is very very bland. Performance is very good but I wouldn't want a car that heavy. That's got to have a negative impact on handling and braking. In my opinion the Mustang is so much better looking there is just no comparison. It really stands out where the GTO looks just like all the other Pontacs out there.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:31 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Waitingformy05

I know this comparison has been beaten to death by magazines and fans of both cars but I'm having second thoughts as to which I should get. I ordered a GT on 3/28 but after hearing some opinions by other GTO owners and seeing their price fall, i'm not so sure anymore if I wanna wait for it or go out next week or so and just drive home right then and there with an GTO.

So far, i've come up with this list for pros and cons.

Mustang:
Pros- uniquely sharp, unmistakable looks, solid power, great exhaust note, great value, runs on regular.
Cons- a little too retro with it looks looks, 8-12 week wait, everyone's gonna have one in a year, is 300 horse gonna be enough to compete in 5 years?

GTO:
Pros- 400 horse, great exhaust note, better interior, not many on the road, rebates, no waiting period, IRS.
Cons- Styling is bland and just doesn't look like a muscle car, premium fuel, 3700-3800 lbs. curb weight, a few thousand more $$, and so far crappy resale value.

I know this is Mustang board so there's going to be some bias but I'd appreciate any objective (somewhat) feedback from Mustang owners and/or people that have driven both. Thanks.

Good luck with your choice. I bought the 05 GT Mustang, and am having a blast. I also thought the GTO looked to much like every other Pontiac out there. I will say, that I saw a bright Yellow GTO today. The bright color made it stand out. I would like to drive one, then decide. I thought they were like $10,000 more than the Mustang, but not sure.

I have decided that if I sell my 05 Mustang, it will be to go to an 05 touring car, or the 05 Vette.

Only you can make the choice, then of course wonder if it was the best one for you.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:01 AM
BradInFl
2nd Gear Member

Go with the Mustang. I chose the Mustang becuase of the engine, looks, and reagular gas.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Lizardking
1st Gear Member

I think GM styling has gone to the dogs the last few years. Ive mostly been a Mopar/Ford man, but GM has made some nice cars over the years. Would I love to have a late 60s 2 door wagon. It seems to me the GTO was an attempt to get a jump on the new Mustang by offering a high performance RWD car. GM had to sell its soul to the UAW to import the GTO. I dont think it worked out the way GM planned, but at least give them credit for trying to bring back a RWD muscle car to the market.

The last 20 years GM has made some great performing cars, they just wrap it in the wrong package. Look at the 90s Riveria's, supercharged 3.8s, great realiable performance, but WTH under the age of 50 wanted a Riveria. The SSR and Vette are just to pricey for the masses. For that matter so is the GTO, 20-30K is the price range that most performance car buyers are looking to spend for that type of car. I just dont see the GTO as being a colloctable muscle car in the future. I also dont see much of anything being offered by the aftermarket due to the low sales numbers.

Mustang on the otherhand is an American icon. It will always keep resale value, will be supported by Ford and the aftermarket forever, and can go as fast as you are willing to spend.

I say buy the GT, put the savings over MSRP for the GTO in a nice IRA.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:53 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

One other thing about the new GTO, yes the mustang is an American icon [sm=americanasmiley.gif], but so WAS the GTO, now it is 100% (maybe not 100%) import. GM sold out.
The same thing almost happened to the Mustang, Ford was seriously considering switching to a front wheel drive model for the mustang
on a Mazda platform, 30,000 letters later to ford from mustang fans, they reevaluated there decision and came up with the 94 mustang.
The Mazda platform went on to become the Probe!
Maybe not only did GM sell out, but GTO fans as well, they should have campaigned to have the GTO stay home!
Old 04-17-2005, 04:31 PM
graphicguy
2nd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: yellowjacket05

ORIGINAL: graphicguy

I went through the same type of pros/cons between the GTO and the Mustang GT.

Here's what I came up with.....

Performance.....best numbers I've seen to date are

--Mustang GT....0-60 in 4.9 secs, 1/4 in 13.5 secs (Road & Track)
--'05 GTO....0-60 in 4.8 secs, 1/4 in 13.3 secs (Car & Driver)
So, while the GTO is a little (and I do mean little) faster, the 100 extra HP doesn't really translate to anything significant....just a tenth or two.

I have to strongly disagree with this statement. I looked hard at both these cars and test drove both like I stole them and the GTO is significantly faster. To the point that unless I complete fried the tires or missed a gear, my GTO would beat the 5speed GT I test drove 10 out of 10 times. Guys, this is not even a drivers race the GTO kills the GT, 300 VS 400 is easily apparent in back to back test drives. The car mags are there to see, but if you look what real drivers with time under their belts in these cars, your gonna find that the GTO is a 12.8-13.3 car and a GT is a 13.8-14.1 car.
All I can say is do not go by just what you read, do more research and definately drive them both, I did and 400hp was just to cool to ignore. Cannot wait for Shelby Mustang!
Believe what you will....doesn't matter to me.

I did drive the '04 and '05 GTO (on more than a few occasions).....the same day I test drove the Mustang GT (before ordering it). Didn't have the same experience you did.

Most reliable sources we've got out there are the trade rags (not the manufacturers). There's just too much "fudge" factor with people who are quoting personal track numbers. You don't know how honest they really are.

I've seen Road & Track's best numbers for the '05 Mustang GT to be 4.9 sec 0-60, 1/4 in 13.5 secs. Motor Trend tested it at 5.1 secs 0-60 and 1/4 in 13.5 secs.

Motor Trend's '05 GTO tests got 5.0 secs 0-60, 1/4 in 13.3 secs. Car and Driver's '05 GTO testing got a 4.8 secs 0-60, 1/4 in 13.3 secs.

The numbers are too close to say there are significant differences between the performance of the '05 GTO vs the '05 Mustang GT.

Just goes to show, GTO weighs more and extracts a penalty that makes performance nearly identical to the Mustang GT....even though the GTO has 100 more HP.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:49 PM
silverbullit05
2nd Gear Member

regardless of proformance i could not drive a car that has a v-8 but looks like it would have a beefy v-6 and for more money noless
[quote]ORIGINAL: graphicguy

ORIGINAL: yellowjacket05

ORIGINAL: graphicguy

I went through the same type of pros/cons between the GTO and the Mustang GT.

Here's what I came up with.....

Performance.....best numbers I've seen to date are

--Mustang GT....0-60 in 4.9 secs, 1/4 in 13.5 secs (Road & Track)
--'05 GTO....0-60 in 4.8 secs, 1/4 in 13.3 secs (Car & Driver)
So, while the GTO is a little (and I do mean little) faster, the 100 extra HP doesn't really translate to anything significant....just a tenth or two.

I have to strongly disagree with this statement. I looked hard at both these cars and test drove both like I stole them and the GTO is significantly faster. To the point that unless I complete fried the tires or missed a gear, my GTO would beat the 5speed GT I test drove 10 out of 10 times. Guys, this is not even a drivers race the GTO kills the GT, 300 VS 400 is easily apparent in back to back test drives. The car mags are there to see, but if you look what real drivers with time under their belts in these cars, your gonna find that the GTO is a 12.8-13.3 car and a GT is a 13.8-14.1 car.
All I can say is do not go by just what you read, do more research and definately drive them both, I did and 400hp was just to cool to ignore. Cannot wait for Shelby Mustang!
Believe what you will....doesn't matter to me.

I did drive the '04 and '05 GTO (on more than a few occasions).....the same day I test drove the Mustang GT (before ordering it). Didn't have the same experience you did.

Most reliable sources we've got out there are the trade rags (not the manufacturers). There's just too much "fudge" factor with people who are quoting personal track numbers. You don't know how honest they really are.

I've seen Road & Track's best numbers for the '05 Mustang GT to be 4.9 sec 0-60, 1/4 in 13.5 secs. Motor Trend tested it at 5.1 secs 0-60 and 1/4 in 13.5 secs.

Motor Trend's '05 GTO tests got 5.0 secs 0-60, 1/4 in 13.3 secs. Car and Driver's '05 GTO testing got a 4.8 secs 0-60, 1/4 in 13.3 secs.

The numbers are too close to say there are significant differences between the performance of the '05 GTO vs the '05 Mustang GT.

Just goes to show, GTO weighs more and extracts a penalty that makes performance nearly identical to the Mustang GT....even though the GTO has 100 more HP.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:37 AM
BigDaddyArt

The big reason that the GT can even keep up with the GTO is it's solid rear axle which is tuned for great launching. The GTO's IRS sucks fro launching. While the GT is only a few .10ths behind the GTO at the 1/4 mile, their trap speeds are decidedly different. The GTO is around 109 and the GT is around 103, which means that the GTO is going pulling away and is certainly going to keep pulling away.

I have been going through a similar deliberation for about 6 months now, although I immedeiatly ruled out the GT coupe vs. the GTO. My quandary was between the Convertible and the GTO. As for the GTO vs. GT coupe, there was never a question in my mind that the GTO was for me. I am Ford guy, but Ford refuses to put out a car without major problems at launch and refuses to dump the 4.6 and ****ty 5 speed. Additionally the interior is crap compared to the GTO. The suspensions are pretty similar feeling, with the GTO being more refined and the Mustang being much better for drag racing. The only real advantage the GT has is in it's bigger trunk and much better stock stereo, however, I certainly won't keep the stereo stock and you don't buy a muscle car for it's trunk. You don't really buy it for its comfort either, but the GTO's interior and seats are amazing, probably one of the best interiors in a GM product ever.
About the styling. The mustang is probably better looking, but that does not mean the GTO is bad looking. No it doesn't scream out, PULL ME OVER or I WANT TO BE NOTICED, but it has very clean lines and everyone who slams the GTO for not living up to the old one has no idea what they are talking about. The first GTO was a very plain makeover and throughout its life was built off of whichever base car was best available to GM. The base car in this case is Australian, which doesn't bother me at all, but the engine is All American. If your best argument is that the GTO is no longer all American, then you bitching for the sake of bitching because your car is irrefutably inferior. And about the Mustang keeping its resale value, let me educate you on a little economics. Price occurs where the Supply Curve intersects the Demand Curve, and with the hundreds of thousands of mustangs that will be sold in the coming years, not only will you have the car that is preferred by 16 yr. old girls everywhere, but you will also have a car that there is a huge supply of, which is not good for resale value. Additionally, if you are buying your car for resale value, buy a Camry and save your GT for a real enthusiast. All in all, the new GTO is one of the greatest sleepers ever.

That being said, I love convertibles, and I am still on the fence. If money is an issue, then buy the Mustang. It is still a very capable car and is one of my favorite new designs. The GTO just has more potential and a lot more substance for a little extra money.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:44 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

That being said, since there is no demand for the GTO, and the dealer lots still have 04s, the 05s are already getting the prices slashed, You gleen from that info that you're resale will be high? > consider me corrected.[sm=hail.gif]
The mustang was always built off of lesser cars frames, falcon , pinto... did you have a point?
If you don't buy muscle cars for things like interior, why is it one of the few things you use to justify you're purchase?
I agree that the fords MAIN advantage is the rear axle, even though thats not the way you choose to word it.
Why don't you name a few of the MAJOR problems you speak of?
Pull me over good looks and American made do not detract from the value of the car in my opinion.

Old 04-18-2005, 01:35 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

One more thing,
those 16yr old girls, grow up to be 21yr old co-eds that still love the mustang, and still couldn't pick out the GTO from a lineup of lima beans.
Wonder what the guys will buy?

Quick Reply: What to buy 05 Mustang or 05 GTO? I need help...