Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to buy 05 Mustang or 05 GTO? I need help...

Old 05-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Bullitt79
1st Gear Member

Default RE: What to buy 05 Mustang or 05 GTO? I need help...

Anyone car to explain this Xplan thing? heard you guys talking about these plans but never knew what they meant , I always thought these plans were for Ford employees or dealer/salesmen type folks.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:27 PM
graphicguy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigDaddyArt

That mouse fur you speak of is called Alcantara and is a very expensive suede like material. It is widely used in BMWs and Audis, but I guess that makes it bad on these boards.

About resale value. I am not talking about 20-30 years down the road. If you try to justify your purchase of a car by how much it will be worth in 30 years, then you are deluding yourself. A car is a depriciating asset in the short and medium run, and even if you do keep it for the long run, it is still a very bad investment. If you were to have invested $4000 in the stock market 40 years ago, it would be worth a hell of a lot more than any car, except for maybe the rarest of the rare, and only if you invested poorly. That being said, people here are obviously talking about short run resale since they are comparing the GTO and the Mustang, and it is impossible to tell what either of those cars will go for in 30 years; however, the value of 30 year old cars is directly related to their rarity, and there will certainly be a lot fewer GTOs than Mustangs. That is not to say the GTO will necessarily be worth more, but basic theories of economics will be in its favor.

Now, if you were to buy a 2007 Shelby and keep it in good condition, I do not doubt it would be worth a lot in 30 years, plus you would get the enjoyment of owning it, which could make it good purchase, but not a good investment. And as you said, you are keeping your Mustang as a retirement hobby, which will obviously bring joy along with some return on your investment down the road. Heck, I don't plan to get rid of any of my cars. I will keep my current car for a long time, and I sure as hell don't plan on selling whatever I get next, as the car after that will probably be something more comfortable, and that will allow me to really turn up the heat on whatever muscle car I choose

I am actually much closer in my differences between the two; however, this is a Mustang Board and I wanted to stir the pot a little and give the other side. If I wasn't concerned about immedeately voiding most of the waranties, I would buy a plain GT and dump about $10k into it for a S/C, stereo, rims and suspension. I love the way it looks when lowered with staggered wheels, and a S/C would make it a beast. I am however concerned about keeping the car mostly stock for a few years, so I am probably just going to get a GTO with the optional 18s, which I love, and put in a system. If I wasn't impatient, I would get a Shelby, but maybe in a few years. Then again, with summer almost here, if I can find a good deal on a Droptop, I might be persuaded to get one of those.
Hmmmmm.....don't know anything about ALCANTARA being some sort of "expensive suedelike material". I only know if felt like mouse fuzz.

Resale? Looking at the facts....that is, an '04 GTO was discounted to about $24K-$25K to move them off the dealer's lots. In addition, there's still some hanging around. There have been a couple of used '04s in the local newspaper car ads. One was "asking" $22K....the other was asking $21K. I'll assume they may sell for somewhere around $19K-$20K. That's a WHOPPING $13K-$14K off of the original $33K MSRP....for a one year old car. In short, it doesn't look good for GTO resale. Even used '05 Mustang GTs are selling at their new MSRP. Orders for '05s are finished. My dealer has sold out of his first 3 months of allotments for the '06....all at MSRP. I'd say that all the facts point to good resale for the Mustang, at least for the near term. And, expecially compared to the resale of the GTO.

'05s are selling for around $31.5 less GM's $1,000 rebate. That's still about $3K more than a totally loaded Mustang GT (which mine is). All the trade rags have performance within 1/10th of a sec in the 0-60 and 2/10ths of a sec in the 1/4 between the Mustang GT and the '05 GTO ('04 GTO is actually a little slower than the '05 Mustang GT). To me, that's an insignificant amount.

As much ballyhoo as has been made about the GTO's interior, while I thought it was good for a GM car, it's still a.....well......GM interior. Not bad, but not good either. I prefer the Mustang's interior.

But, I'm sure you knew we preferred the Mustang over the GTO before you came in here. When I was in the market, I did test drive the '05 and '05 GTO. That's what steered me to the Ford store.

What I don't know is why GTO owners feel they have to justify their purchase to us. I don't think most of us care.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:28 PM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bullitt79

Anyone car to explain this Xplan thing? heard you guys talking about these plans but never knew what they meant , I always thought these plans were for Ford employees or dealer/salesmen type folks.
That's A-Plan, and is the best discount. Ford taking care of its employee's and their family. X-Plan, is something like 4% over A-Plan. So, if A-Plan is 12% below MSRP, the X-Plan ion that car, would be 8% below MSRP. I think there is another one, but don't recall.

X-Plan, is often called, supplier discount. You work for a company that sells things to Ford, supplier. In my case, the company I work for (large Pharmacuetical Company), either gets credit for making health care products that Ford Families use, or more likely, our Credit Union has negociated a X-Plan discount for us based on the purchasing power of 30,000 employees globally (15K or more in US).

PS. My spelling stinks !!! But doesn't stop me from Loving fast cars !! LOL

My 05 GT prem. stick. was $26650.00 MSRP, X-Plan brought it in at $24750.00

[IMG]local://upfiles/12415/97214F27CB784FA48D20FCC41E1222FA.jpg[/IMG]