MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Anyone Install A Saleen S/C Yourself? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/431005-anyone-install-a-saleen-s-c-yourself.html)

Chris D 04-09-2008 03:47 PM

Anyone Install A Saleen S/C Yourself?

I'm thinking about purchasing a Saleen S/C for my 06 GT. Has anyone installed one of theseby yourself? For now, I'm thinking about going with the basic version without the fuel injectors. I can always upgrade in the future. I just want to know if it can be done on my own. I have lowered the car and installed a CAI by myself (the suspension was a pain in the booty without a lift). So far everything that I have done to the car has been by me. I would like to keep it that way if it's possible. Ideally I would take it to Brendspeed, but I live in LA (Lower Alabama that is)....

JOHNNY 04-09-2008 04:25 PM

RE: Anyone Install A Saleen S/C Yourself?

I have it took about 7 hr for everthing but had to wait 24hr for the saleen flash. You need to remove the front bumper to put on the cooler.

dferkler 04-09-2008 04:37 PM

I paid to have mine done but you should get the 39# injectors. I was getting back fire on WOT from a stand still. It needs the fuel. I added the injectors and everything has been fine since.

drbobvs 04-09-2008 04:48 PM

I did mine. Just read the instruction twice before your install day. You'll need a few special tools to help make it go easier. Figure less than 12 hrs fora first timer.

Chris D 04-09-2008 07:37 PM

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

I did mine. Just read the instruction twice before your install day. You'll need a few special tools to help make it go easier. Figure less than 12 hrs fora first timer.
Thanks! What special tools did you need?

exx1976 04-09-2008 08:10 PM

An alternator pulley puller, but if I'm not mistaken, it's included with the blower kit..

GOTTORQ 04-09-2008 08:27 PM

what kind of power are you guys making?

drbobvs 04-09-2008 09:48 PM

Well, first get a pair of hose clamp pliers! Will make your life easier. Then get a bunch of stainless steel hose clamps and toss out all those spring type factory ones, what a PITA. This will really make things easier. And yes, the alternator bolt removal tool is included in the kit. Just beware that it is a left handed thread! That conveniently was not included in the instructions and we tried in vain with an impact wrench for 10 minutes until we figured it out. If I had to do it agin, i wouldn't even change the pulley as they are not very different in size anyway.

Also I would definitely take the short time it takes to re-clock the alternator. This will position the alternator wiring alot better.

I'm convinced the back bolt on the passenger side of the blower is something designed by Satan. People will suggest using a 10mm shallow wobbly socket but I had no luck with anything. I just used as shorty open end wrench and tightened it up as best I could after 45 minutes.

Get something ready to stick into the end of the heater hoses under the intake manifold so as not to lose all your coolant on the floor. I used the nose cap to a tube of silicone but anything similar will work. You only need it for a few minutes, but it makes ll the difference.

Also, put an oil catch pan or similar basin under the engine for this step too. Our blocks havea hole in them that goes from the intake valley out the bottom so any coolant ro other liquid that spills will flow through and neatly into the basin and not on your garage floor.

Buy extra heat shrink tubing, you'll need it, they don't really give you enough. Oh, get a heat gun too.

You'll need a fuel rail disconnect tool, they don't supply one (stupid). I didn't have one so I rigged up a short peice of fat wire tie and it worked.

You'll need help lifting and positioning the blower. It's alot heavier than it looks.

Get a roll of teflon plumbers tape and use it on all the threaded coolant crosover plugs.

Use antiseize on the sparkplugs if you change them, and I recommend you do.

Oh, and don't throw away that little 2 wire rig with the grey connector! Strangely it wasn't mentioned anywhere in my instructions, it is used to splice into the MAF wiring and it connects the front, drivers side of the blower. After getting a failsafe error, I called JDM and they read it to me from their instructions. It was like an entire page was missing from my instructions even though all the pages were correctly numbered!

I'm sure I'll think of other stuff but that's all that comes to mind now. It's been a year already. If I remember anything else I'll let you know.

Good Luck.

Briscoe 04-09-2008 10:01 PM

you can do it yourself. The instructions are very detailed and easy to understand.

Making 424 RWHP and 404 RWTQ. Brenspeed stage 3