Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my gas gauge turned red!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:25 PM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: my gas gauge turned red!

ORIGINAL: jahudso2

You really shouldnt run your car much further below 1/4 tank. If you keep running it down to E like that, you might damage your fuel system (most likely fuel pump.)
Wait...what?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StreamlineStang

What I don't understand is why it says you're low on gas when you really aren't, the tanks are 16 gallon tanks, not 14 (check the manual) but it seems that the computer only thinks there is 14 gallons to begin with, so you SHOULD have at least a gallon or 2 left even if it shows 0 miles to go. Something to think about...
Nope, the computer knows its a 16 gallon tank. It acts like there is only 15 gallons in it. It is no secret, when the computer says 0 miles to empty, it means that you have 1 gallon of gas left. This way it lets you know you really have to go get gas, don't drive around anymore, but gives you a heads up so you don't end up stranded.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ensign_lee

ORIGINAL: jahudso2

You really shouldnt run your car much further below 1/4 tank. If you keep running it down to E like that, you might damage your fuel system (most likely fuel pump.)
Wait...what?

WEll this is a double post but I saw this after I posted so im just going to quote this and not edit my last one.

What he means is:

Gas tanks and gas stations have crap in there, pieces of the tank fall into it, garbage, dirt, and other debris... When that tank is low, and you pump that gas into your tank, you could suck up some of the crap in there, and put it into your tank. This isn't really avoidable unfortunately, and its going to happen. But what is avoidable is getting it into your pump, fuel lines, and engine. That crap wil then sink to the bottom of your tank, and pretty much stay there. If you dont let the tank get too empty, you wil be pumping the gas from the top, not the crap from the bottom.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

True, but that is what you fuel FILTER is for. Change it frequently. I changed mine at 15k miles and will every add 15k.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:58 PM
brendend
4th Gear Member

mine says theres only 14 gallons in there...?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:12 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

i only drive about 4 miles a day now and so i rarely fillup, but it said i was about on empty...so i ignored it for a few days (the low fuel light quit coming on) and when i was a block away from the gas station on payday...it died

fuel pumps can also go bad if there isn't enough gas to pump aka running your tank empty...overheating of the pump trying to pump what really isn't there
Old 04-09-2008, 09:50 PM
MirandaRae
2nd Gear Member

3.25..lucky you here in so call Ive already seen premum and super going for over 4 dollars a gallon.. regular is cheep if you can find it for 3.69
Old 04-09-2008, 09:55 PM
jayk151

Ya mine did it the other day, I flew straight to the gas station
Old 04-09-2008, 09:56 PM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

yea seriously miranda i feel ur pain in so cal... lol op is complainin about 3.50 and 3.25 lol its way worse here and probably even worse elsewhere
Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 PM
brendend
4th Gear Member

i just went to the store and drove by the gas station.. it went up[:@]3.29!!! ahhh what am i gunna do lol.. gotta love jersey

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my gas gauge turned red!