Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing rear deck speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 02:47 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

Default Replacing rear deck speakers

Looking for some info on replacing the rear speakers that are up in the roof of the trunk. Sizes and how you remove them the proper way. Pictures would be an added plus.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:59 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i would like to know myself
Old 09-25-2008, 03:10 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

If I remember right the 05s and 06s were easy, and in 07 they changed the design so that you literally have to take the seats and some of the interior out in order to get to the speakers. Someone did a writeup on it but it's going to be hard to find.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:19 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

yah i remember it but cant find it. i know you can see the bottome of the speaker from in the trunk but i do recall something about removing a bunch of the interior
Old 09-25-2008, 03:37 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Found this post originally posted by Hollaback:

Tools:
1 Flathead Screwdriver or other device for "prying"
1 Stubby Ratchet with a T20 head (To Remove Speaker Screws)

1. Remove the seat portion of your rear seats. There are clips on the passenger side and drivers side at the bottome part of the seat. Push each clip in and pull the seat towards you.

2. Remove the door sills. You can take a flat head screwdriver to pry them up gently and then pull straight up.

3. Pull the back portion of your rear seats down.

4. There are large plastic side panels in the back seat which include the arm rest for your "back seat passengers." There will be 3 plastic "push in" screws that secure each of these in place. I wont describe the location of each of these but you will find them. Remove those next. Now you can remove the panels on each side.

5. You will notice now that the carpeting has 2 of these plastic pins on each side of the vehicle. You can pull these out. Then slide the seat belts down through the slits that are visible.

6. Pull your carpeted rear deck straight towards you. Your speakers are now exposed.

7. Use your stubby ratchet to remove the screws holding your speakers in place. You can now change them out with the 6x8 speakers of your choice.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:52 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

why in the world would ford design it like that. Thats completely unnecessary. I doubt its as time consuming as it seems but still. so it looks like they are 6x8s
Old 09-25-2008, 05:05 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Attached.

Umm..maybe not. I tried to attached a pdf which I downloaded from a link on here somewhere. Somewhere here somebody posted a link to a Crutchfield pdf with complete stereo and head unit replacement instructions.

Saw somewhere else that you might need a thumbweel wrench.

......PM me and I can email anyone the pdf.

Last edited by shanec; 09-25-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:11 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

we are talking about the rear speakers, not a head unit replacement
Old 09-25-2008, 05:17 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

thats alot of crap to get to the rear speakers lol
Old 09-25-2008, 07:56 PM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

it took me about 4 hours to do the speakers, and i had to run to sears to get a finger wheel magnetic design torq because a standard will not fit due to the lenght and angel and hope you have torqy fingers. that was on my 06 deluxe gt. i had to pry loose the panals adj. the rear seats to pull the rear decklid out. and then trying to get an adapter plate to fit perfectly with the alpine 2800 series was crazy. i got a little mad and the rear set got punched a few times. use caution and have patience when taking the side panels off, i got over zelous and in a rush and ended up bending it in a couple of spots to create the white crease in the blk panel. also you are going to have to cut the ford adapter and probably solder the new wires to your factory wires, for weaterproof, but the lazier people will probly just crimp, which might be ok if you use shrinkwrap and a torch, but please just dont use the twist cap as a few have done. to be honest, i didnt notice a huge increase in sound quality from the rear speakers, i suppose if i do it all over again, i will use components insted of the coax style, a bit more costly but worth it. maybe a sound difference would have been heard if you run an amp to the speakers, but i ran it right off the head unit because i didnt have the money for 2 amps, one for speakers and 1 for subs.

Quick Reply: Replacing rear deck speakers