Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is ticking lash adjuster from TSB.. (Replied: It was a spark plug)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Is ticking lash adjuster from TSB dangerous to engine?

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Im honestly sick to my stomach thinking about the danger I put the passenger head in. I've done some stupid things to this car and I need to stop. I'm very lucky to have escaped this.... I'm going to pull all of the COPS tonight and check the torque on the rest of them. I should've never replaced them myself to begin with....

Thanks for the suggestions guys you really saved me....
Hey, you got away clean with no damage done and learned something in the process. I wouldn't stress about it, man. And don't let that scare you away from working on your car in the future. Look at it this way: I bet you never make that same mistake again, right?

After changing plugs on my cars I usually go back a week or two later and just double check them with a torque wrench. I just like to be safe.

Anyway, glad you found the problem and fixed it before anything bad happened.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

How many miles do you have on the car?
Old 04-13-2008, 09:10 AM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

1990lxhatch, you've helped me a lot before and thanks!

But in this case, it was a spark plug coming out. A spark plug I stupidly didn't torque down correctly. The ticking got very loud in the last few days.

Im honestly sick to my stomach thinking about the danger I put the passenger head in. I've done some stupid things to this car and I need to stop. I'm very lucky to have escaped this.... I'm going to pull all of the COPS tonight and check the torque on the rest of them. I should've never replaced them myself to begin with....

Thanks for the suggestions guys you really saved me....
Always start off with the simple stuff when you troubleshoot an issue. I know its hard not to assume theres a major malfunction, but I find that the majority of the time, the troubles are minor and trivial in nature. Funny story, one day I was driving home and the wind noise seemed louder then normal. I looked behind me while driving down the highway and noticed that the windows weren't sealed with the rear windows. I "automatically" lept to the conclusion that the windows were out of calibration, and all attempts to manually operate the front windows to form a seal was useless. Then about 5 minutes later, while driving down the same highway, it dawned on me that maybe my arm had hit the rear window control, and the rear windows were actually down a bit. They were. Rear window control up and the noise went away. Keep it simple is my motto. Sometimes I forget to live by that motto.