Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! NOW I AM GETTING THE CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM LIGHT MESSAGE AND BATTERY LIGHT..

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 05:02 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default HELP! NOW I AM GETTING THE CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM LIGHT MESSAGE AND BATTERY LIGHT..

OK: I was getting the P0340 and P0344 codes on my 2005 mustang gt with saleen s/c. no battery light no check system charging etc...so after stalling I bought an alternator from HOTAIRGYPSY, he advised me it is off an 07 mustang gt. Got a great deal. anyways..went to brother in laws shop to replace...he hooked up stock alternator and confirmed that it was indeed bad. so we changed pulleys etc...put on used alternator from 07 mustang gt..it is getting 14.9 volts steady with good diode reading as well as 14.9 volts to battery..amps went up as the rpm went up...all was well...however after about 1 minute...the battery light came on and check charging system came on in my message center....each time I shut the car off..the lights go off...when I restart they are not there until about 1 or so minutes into it running...the volts and amps stay where they were when they come on...what can it be???is it possible that an alternator out of an 07 mustang gt is not compatible with an 05 gt? I never got these lights with the other alternator just the DTC..now I get these lights but no DTC////PLEASE HELP ANYONE>>>this is frustrating....do I just buy a new alternator for an 05 and see if that works...AARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
Old 04-12-2008, 05:10 PM
ensit mike
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HELP! NOW I AM GETTING THE CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM LIGHT MESSAGE AND BATTERY LIGHT..

No way man! I am going through the EXACT same thing right now. My car is dead in my driveway because i drained the battery limping it home this morning. Its a pain in the ***. I took it to the shop and they said alot of the S197s do this and that its just the battery. So they replaced the battery and it did stop for a good 4-5 days.... then last night i got the battery light and check charging system lights. Oddly mine does it after about a minute too. I am taking it back to the shop monday but idk what is going on.

keep me updated on your car if you can.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:13 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP! NOW I AM GETTING THE CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM LIGHT MESSAGE AND BATTERY LIGHT..

Well first thing I'd check is the charging system. Make sure all your connection are good and tight. Since you just installed the new/used alternator maybe you forgot to tighten a nut, it happens.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:44 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

imo, the likely culprit in order of probablility is:

bad ground
wiring problem in the harness
pcm

Old 04-12-2008, 07:35 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

cool...thx everyone..so we went back out to my car...disconnected the battery...then I took off the main red cable going into the alternator..noticed the nut holding it came off without much effort if any at all....wiggled the plug around a little...checked the cable for connections to make sure everything was connected etc...then reconnected the alternator....reconnected the battery...did voltage test with test light with car just turned on...regulator was reading fine......started car and let run for close to 10 minutes...no check charging system message or battery light...test light read good charge all the way around and no light...the true test will be tomorrow when I take it for a ride again...maybe it was loose cable...maybe something else....for now it is working fine...keep my fingers crossed....hopefully it is ok....thx again..TJ...
Old 04-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Wildmatt
1st Gear Member

YEa you will be suprised how much trouble a loose connection can cause
Old 04-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Hope it works out well...
Old 04-13-2008, 01:39 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

um.....14.9volts is excessive voltage is it not?

normal range is 13.8v to 14.4v

Old 04-13-2008, 02:27 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I think hammeron and moose nailed that one for you!.....always check connection even if they look like they are on....
ORIGINAL: hammeron

imo, the likely culprit in order of probablility is:

bad ground
wiring problem in the harness
pcm

Old 04-13-2008, 10:42 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ok: UPDATE!!! Today went out for a drive in my car.....drove as normal...noticed that when I looked down at my dummy gauge for the volts etc every once and a while the gauge would jump up to the positive...not the red line but right below the white line on the positive...it did this once and a while...then I stopped...put my car in park and revved the engine..same thing once and a while...then I put on my AC...within a minute or so the beep...the battery light and the check charging system.....THIS SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so is it a regulator issue in the alternator? again with the other alternator did not have this issue...just the p0340 codes etc...this one...which is used....charging system...so do I just buy a NEW alternator and see if that is the issue...I lose out on $75 but at least I eliminate the bad regulator in the alternator theory? HELP as I am perplexed and getting frustrated...[/align]

Quick Reply: HELP! NOW I AM GETTING THE CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM LIGHT MESSAGE AND BATTERY LIGHT..