Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4:10 = 30.8 mpg highway?????(updated question marks)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 01:55 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Default 4:10 = 30.8 mpg highway?????(updated question marks)

so I figured id throw it out there for all the people who are on the fence about the 4 10 gears. I drove to tampa from orlando onfri and used my cruise control with windows up and by the time I arrived my mpg was at 29.7 but for the majority of the ride it was right at 30. .

My cruise was set around 70 mph and I was very impressed with the results . This was the first time I really had the car on the highway for a ride over a hour since I have had my gears installed. I was expecting maybe 24 or so and seen so many people complain about how you loose so much mpg from the gears[:'(]. Most I ever got out of my 3:55 was 32.5 so for the peeps who bitch about gears and how you waste so much gas and blahblahblah your wrong,lol.

my around town mpg went up from around 16 to a regular 19 now.

I am not sure if this is a factor at all but my gts-2 hood my car seems to get a tiny bit higher mpg , esepcially when I have the hood vents open and its letting out alot of the hot air. This is also the first time I have had the hood on the highway liek this so im not sure if the ram air had anything to do with the mpg also.

my mpg right now is still at 27 and I have been driving around my city for the last day or so now still.

Love my gears so dont think twice do it hussss do it.

p.s I was using my tune from Lamotta performance in orlando. I have adiff tunes from diff tunersbut this seems to be my fav out of them all . best power and best mpg . Ive yet to run them all at the track though but from just feel is what im going by.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:57 AM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 4:10 = 30.8 mpg highway

32.5 holy crap...the best i've ever gotten stock was about 26 in a straight line on the interstate no stops for 200 miles
Old 04-13-2008, 02:01 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

I took a few pics while cruising with my camera phone for naysayers but next time Im going to make a video clip just for proof, not like I care if people dont believe me but more for the people who arent sure about getting 4:10 cause all of the BS the gear haters post.[8D]

Old 04-13-2008, 02:04 AM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

wait...r u goin off the computer in the dash? those things are horrible...i'd fillup your tank, run it 3/4 out, then fillup and divide your miles by number of gallons to fill it
Old 04-13-2008, 02:11 AM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

Are you going by your in dash computer or did you actually fill up before then refill and divide by actual miles driven. I am thinking 32 is not gonna be the real milage, Hell Ive got 373 gears and I did a 300 mile trip (not interstate ) but used cruise and averaged 22.9 for the hole trip.Filled up at one gas station and refilled up at the same gas station. total gas divided by miles driven was 22.9 and I was damn happy with that.
maybe you got the one freak gas mizer.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:13 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: landon.moss

wait...r u goin off the computer in the dash? those things are horrible...i'd fillup your tank, run it 3/4 out, then fillup and divide your miles by number of gallons to fill it
Ya Im going off my dash. I filled up right before I left so I had a full tank and basically hit reset 5 min before I got onto I-4. I actually drove to new port richie soI did some city driving aswell before I finally arrived at my final destination.

I am more comparing it to my stock gear ratio considering I drove to the exact same location and logged the mpg basically exactlly the same, same gas station, same speed(windows up)and hit reset on the same exit. so either way if the dash isnt exactly on it still gave me the comparisonI was looking for against my stock gear ratio. It was also alot hotter this fri then when i dorve out last time with my stock set up wich I thought would also make it lower but again the hood could have came into factor also cause that was not on the car last time.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:16 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Regardless if it is the cars monitor for MPG is 30 or 22 MPG highway with 4.10 gear you turn 200-300 RPMs more than the stock 3.55! If you use the car for performance (even as a DD) I do not understand why everyone bitc**s so much about MPG. This has been debated many times before and if this thread becomes a flaming thread I will just shut it down. Now on to the OP...Congrats! those are excellent numbers esp for said gear set and IMO the hood helped with that a little....esp on the highway. The heat does have a chance to escape from under the hood and cooler temps yeild better performance and better MPG and a steady and swift 70+ mph.... JMO J
Old 04-13-2008, 02:18 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ybnormal

Are you going by your in dash computer or did you actually fill up before then refill and divide by actual miles driven. I am thinking 32 is not gonna be the real milage, Hell Ive got 373 gears and I did a 300 mile trip (not interstate ) but used cruise and averaged 22.9 for the hole trip.Filled up at one gas station and refilled up at the same gas station. total gas divided by miles driven was 22.9 and I was damn happy with that.
IMO I think it is my lamotta tune that is pretty impressive. Iknow with my vmp tune my mpg when I have had it on the highway , no it was not for as long but highest it got up to was about 23 ish and around town on that tune its at about 16 compared to the lamotta tune wich sits at around 19. I do get on it a lil bit too , hard to resit ya know not Like im driving miss daisey.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:19 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

ORIGINAL: TOMBSTANG

ORIGINAL: ybnormal

IMO I think it is my lamotta tune that is pretty impressive. Iknow with my vmp tune my mpg when I have had it on the highway , no it was not for as long but highest it got up to was about 23 ish and around town on that tune its at about 16 compared to the lamotta tune wich sits at around 19. I do get on it a lil bit too , hard to resit ya know not Like im driving miss daisey.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Old 04-13-2008, 02:27 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

Regardless if it is the cars monitor for MPG is 30 or 22 MPG highway with 4.10 gear you turn 200-300 RPMs more than the stock 3.55! If you use the car for performance (even as a DD) I do not understand why everyone bitc**s so much about MPG. This has been debated many times before and if this thread becomes a flaming thread I will just shut it down. Now on to the OP...Congrats! those are excellent numbers esp for said gear set and IMO the hood helped with that a little....esp on the highway. The heat does have a chance to escape from under the hood and cooler temps yeild better performance and better MPG and a steady and swift 70+ mph.... JMO J
Yeah I am almost positive the hood helps a lil bit and like you said the steady 70 mph was dead on I did vary speed a fewmph with the cruise control +- buttons,but I did not use my brakes at all untill I actually got to my exit in new port richie, mainly was bobbing and weaving.

I also agree about people bitching about mpg, NoI do not care if my car gets 11 mpg or 56 I didnt not buy it to be a gas saver This post was more just to show what MY car did in comparison with the 4:10 to the 3:55 on MY car wich I thought turned out to be pretty impressive and I thought I would share it with ya'll.

Has anybody esle done this when they switched out there gears? Like exact sameroad trip, same gas, same speed etc, jus curious?

I run 93 octane by the way from shell(v power)

Quick Reply: 4:10 = 30.8 mpg highway?????(updated question marks)