Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unpleasant dealer experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:30 PM
EricM
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Unpleasant dealer experience

ORIGINAL: 07AlloyGT

plus, for every goon that's fired, there's one that's hired. trying to keep the dealership clean is like keeping a house clean from dust.
Yeah, but most horror stories involve stupidity on the part of management or ownership, so let's not blame it all on the goons.

in the end there's 2 parties at fault. the OP for being so dumb as to think his car would be taken to a drag race when they needed to check out the rattle
Why is that dumb? I just read right here on this forum a story of that exact thing happening. Not the first time I've read something like that, either.

and doing that survey thinking things would be rosey and then the service tech losing it. i still side more with the service tech because he did need to road test it and would have most likely heard the rattle come back. not only that but if you refuse the test and then give bad marks that the problem wasn't fixed only to come back and get it fixed again, man you're going to get some retribution from me.
If a customer can't give an honest answer without fear of retribution, and a service manager can't give a simple explanation to his bosses for why something that didn't get fixed isn't his fault, then I think the survey is completely worthless. No, it's worse than worthless - it's actually harmful.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:44 PM
07AlloyGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EricM

plus, for every goon that's fired, there's one that's hired. trying to keep the dealership clean is like keeping a house clean from dust.
Yeah, but most horror stories involve stupidity on the part of management or ownership, so let's not blame it all on the goons.

in the end there's 2 parties at fault. the OP for being so dumb as to think his car would be taken to a drag race when they needed to check out the rattle
Why is that dumb? I just read right here on this forum a story of that exact thing happening. Not the first time I've read something like that, either.

and doing that survey thinking things would be rosey and then the service tech losing it. i still side more with the service tech because he did need to road test it and would have most likely heard the rattle come back. not only that but if you refuse the test and then give bad marks that the problem wasn't fixed only to come back and get it fixed again, man you're going to get some retribution from me.
If a customer can't give an honest answer without fear of retribution, and a service manager can't give a simple explanation to his bosses for why something that didn't get fixed isn't his fault, then I think the survey is completely worthless. No, it's worse than worthless - it's actually harmful.
most? and you know this how? i don't see ownership taking vehicles out and joyriding.

not every car is going to get street raced when taking it into the dealership. they NEED to hear the rattle to see if it's fixed. the option of doing a ride-along was the best way to get it done. he chided the place for not fixing a rattle that the techs couldn't see if it was actually fixed. he prevented them from doing their work correctly and they got nailed for it, not him.

the way the survey's work is the way the game is played. instead of doing the survey, he should have called and spoke to the service manager about the rattle coming back. just doesn't make sense to fault a place for trying to fix something when you prevent them from doing it properly.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:03 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Grabber

Sorry to hear about the stealership crapping on you. However, wrong move ont he Survey. Honest or not.

Short story. I had similar rattles in my car, and they asked to take it on a test drive. Well, when I dropped me car off, when the porter took my car, and I was in a different room; I heard my car start,and then heard my car being revved to 4K+ RPM quite a few times. Then I saw my car being pulled out of the garage, on it's way to the oil change, and the porter peeled out. I let that one go.

So, I asked if I could go on this test drive for the rattles. They insisted I don't so they can get a proper analysis of the rattling. I said fine. So, 25 minutes after the test drive, 1/2 gallon of gas left, and tread all over the side of my car, they did not find any rattling. I stormed out. Even though the porters were dic*s, the service manager was very apologetic before my storming out, and was very nice overall. I wrote a 100 overall, and a 100 on each item in the survey.
Oh man I definately would not have "let that one go." ^^^

OP, do you live in Stillwater? I live in Eden Prairie. Its a bit of a drive (lol), but I go to Metro Ford and the few times I've been there have gone completely smoothly. They even gave me a ride to tech college after I dropped my car off. Once when I went in for service I told them about all my mods so they knew not to touch the PCM, etc. and they were completely fine with it, no complete warranty voids or anything - one of the techs actually started up a converstaion about mods and his Mustang.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:06 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

most? and you know this how? i don't see ownership taking vehicles out and joyriding.

not every car is going to get street raced when taking it into the dealership. they NEED to hear the rattle to see if it's fixed. the option of doing a ride-along was the best way to get it done. he chided the place for not fixing a rattle that the techs couldn't see if it was actually fixed. he prevented them from doing their work correctly and they got nailed for it, not him.

the way the survey's work is the way the game is played. instead of doing the survey, he should have called and spoke to the service manager about the rattle coming back. just doesn't make sense to fault a place for trying to fix something when you prevent them from doing it properly.

The way I see it is like if you have a problem with someone at work.....generally you would try to work it out with them first before escalating it straight to the head honcho or boss. Remember that these techs can make mistakes just like you and me......i dont think they intentially didnt fix your squeak that you say you had but cant really reproduce cause you are being an overprotective parent of you car. Now there are stories of bad dealerships, but then there are many that are just fine. I have had my car to mine 5-7 times atleast and never a problem. I am going to guess the majority of people never have a problem.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:07 PM
EricM
2nd Gear Member

I know this by reading this forum. We weren't talking about joyriding there. We were talking about bad service in general, and that seems to go right to the top. People wouldn't have to contact FoMoCo very often if the guy who ran the dealership or one of his managers satisfied them, you know?

not every car is going to get street raced when taking it into the dealership.
Okay. But thinking yours might certainly doesn't make you dumb. Just look a few posts up.

he chided the place for not fixing a rattle that the techs couldn't see if it was actually fixed.
He didn't chide them one bit. He just gave an honest answer on a survey. Ford did the chiding. And the service guy had a reasonable explanation, but I guess nobody in this survey department has any common sense.

instead of doing the survey, he should have called and spoke to the service manager about the rattle coming back.
Why is it his responsibility to know the ins and outs of Ford policies and not do the survey? It's not.

Instead of being a friggin crybaby and throwing a tantrum, the service guy should've just explained the situation to him rationally. It's not like he was gonna do it to them again - he said he didn't even mean to get them in trouble. That asshat service guy's unacceptable behavior is really the gist of this whole story, no matter how much you want to defend him.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

This thread is just like anything else in life.. you have a good experience you tell no one, you have a bad one you tell everyone.

What you need to realize as well is that the dealer gets a copy of the actual survey back from EVERY customer. Keep that in mind when you make a negative statement.

On a NVH concern it's not unusual to have two sometimes three people in the car because one has to drive while the other(s) are trying to locate the noise or vibration.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:38 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: Going for broke

This thread is just like anything else in life.. you have a good experience you tell no one, you have a bad one you tell everyone.

What you need to realize as well is that the dealer gets a copy of the actual survey back from EVERY customer. Keep that in mind when you make a negative statement.

On a NVH concern it's not unusual to have two sometimes three people in the car because one has to drive while the other(s) are trying to locate the noise or vibration.
exactly!!
Old 04-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Tri C
1st Gear Member

To turn around the OP's question - is it normal to deny a dealer the opportunity to perform an adequate repair and then beef about the result?

The unpleasantness here stems from the customer's unrealistic attitude.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I don't think the OP falls into this category but it's true IMO that some customers just aren't worth having.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scotts197GT

Had an eye-opening experience at Stillwater Ford (Stillwater MN.) last week. Took my '05 GT (27K miles)in for the airbag recall and a few other items. Car is still under warranty. I had only taken it one other time and it was to the same dealer. Then I had parking brake cables replaced, interiorrear seat side panel re-installed, andA-piller and bellhousing rattles "addressed".I had what I thought was a geat experienceduring thatfirst time. Tech adviser was pleasant. I had asked him to not take it for a test drive and he understandably explained that for rattles they prefer to do the test drive. I acknowledged that but said that if rattle(s) came back I could bring it in again at some other time. Shortly after this appointment I got a survey from Ford asking me about my service experience. The bellhousing rattle did come back almost immediately, so I made mention of this on survey. I noted on it everything else was addressed and that experience was very positve.

Last week I pulled into same dealer's lot, and drove slowly by a long line of beautiful 'Stangs including a Shelby GT and a black Bullit..thinking trade-in thoughts, or, perhaps waiting until '09 re-design. I pull into service garage and was greated by same tech advisor. We started to talk about what work I wanted done, first Airbag recall, then a seat seam rip, and then the bellhousing rattle...

At that moment the advisor's demeanor totally changed. His face flushed and he got noticeably upset. He stated in a accusitory, and hostile way"you didn't allow us to test drive it last time and test for rattle last time you were in". He then said "that was on the survey you sent in and it reflected poorly on ME!". Mind you, survey I sent in was overall positive, and it was truthfull.

I was pretty floored by his attitude and told him so. He didn't back off though and then said "you didn't even buy your car from us, you bought it from another dealer" - as if this made any difference! (I bought the car from a dealer 80 miles away because in early '05Stillwater Ford couldn't get me a car I wanted without waiting at least several months.)

At this point I was becoming very angry and I thought it crazy to do any more business with this dealership. I left immediately. Though this experience was a shocker, and I've written off that dealer, there are others in the area I can buy a new 'Stang from... and maybe a new Edge?

When I drove off that lot I wasn't going back. Is this treatment by Ford for warranty service "normal"? I hope not. For the past 25 years I've bought only Hondas, andNissans. I WANT to buy American now. But...

A problem not being correctly fixed by a dealer is a HUUUGEE issue. You reflected very poorly on the dealer don't do that,

Quick Reply: Unpleasant dealer experience