Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unpleasant dealer experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Scotts197GT

Default Unpleasant dealer experience

Had an eye-opening experience at Stillwater Ford (Stillwater MN.) last week. Took my '05 GT (27K miles)in for the airbag recall and a few other items. Car is still under warranty. I had only taken it one other time and it was to the same dealer. Then I had parking brake cables replaced, interiorrear seat side panel re-installed, andA-piller and bellhousing rattles "addressed".I had what I thought was a geat experienceduring thatfirst time. Tech adviser was pleasant. I had asked him to not take it for a test drive and he understandably explained that for rattles they prefer to do the test drive. I acknowledged that but said that if rattle(s) came back I could bring it in again at some other time. Shortly after this appointment I got a survey from Ford asking me about my service experience. The bellhousing rattle did come back almost immediately, so I made mention of this on survey. I noted on it everything else was addressed and that experience was very positve.

Last week I pulled into same dealer's lot, and drove slowly by a long line of beautiful 'Stangs including a Shelby GT and a black Bullit..thinking trade-in thoughts, or, perhaps waiting until '09 re-design. I pull into service garage and was greated by same tech advisor. We started to talk about what work I wanted done, first Airbag recall, then a seat seam rip, and then the bellhousing rattle...

At that moment the advisor's demeanor totally changed. His face flushed and he got noticeably upset. He stated in a accusitory, and hostile way"you didn't allow us to test drive it last time and test for rattle last time you were in". He then said "that was on the survey you sent in and it reflected poorly on ME!". Mind you, survey I sent in was overall positive, and it was truthfull.

I was pretty floored by his attitude and told him so. He didn't back off though and then said "you didn't even buy your car from us, you bought it from another dealer" - as if this made any difference! (I bought the car from a dealer 80 miles away because in early '05Stillwater Ford couldn't get me a car I wanted without waiting at least several months.)

At this point I was becoming very angry and I thought it crazy to do any more business with this dealership. I left immediately. Though this experience was a shocker, and I've written off that dealer, there are others in the area I can buy a new 'Stang from... and maybe a new Edge?

When I drove off that lot I wasn't going back. Is this treatment by Ford for warranty service "normal"? I hope not. For the past 25 years I've bought only Hondas, andNissans. I WANT to buy American now. But...
Old 04-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Unpleasant dealer experience

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if I were him I wouldn't be real thrilled either. You dinged them on the survey when you wouldn't let them test the car to see if they had the problem solved or not. With rattles and that sort of thing that's about the only way to know if you're getting at the issue in the first place. So some frustration on his part is understandable.

However, showing emotion like that is not OK. They shouldn't have got openly upset with you like that. It's BAD customer service. IMO he should've been able to explain the situation to his boss. The survey results should've been taken with a grain of salt.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:34 AM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Should have went right to the gm of the dealership. They're mostly sleazy too, but I'm sure he would have remedied the situation better than your tech. Write ford again. Add some more problems that they already know about their quality.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:39 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

+1 on Riptides comments.

I hate my car being driven by techs, but you can't expect them to address stuff like rattles-on-the-move if you don't allow them to "move"....
Old 04-14-2008, 08:44 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

why didnt you go with them on a ride to point out the rattles??

No offense but i agree with above, if you limit them and how they solve the complaint then you shouldnt expect perfect results
Old 04-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Scotts197GT

I don't know how their surveys work internally.. Apparently they have to be 100% positive or someone feels the heat. I'll state again that advisor and I discussed the post service test drive. It bothered me more to have whomever take to car out to test a rattle, than to possibly have to bring car back a second time.
Key points here are:

a.) The hostility/poor attitudeexibited by the tech advisor

b.) The fact that he said to me "besides, you bought this car from another dealer" really rubbed me the wrong way. It's a Ford under warranty. It doesn't matter what dealer I take it to!

By the way, later that day I called service manager there. He said the things he had to say... that car should have had a test drive the first time it was in, and that tech advisor acted unprofessionally earlier that morning. Apology given, and accepted. Though damage was already done. I take my future business elsewhere.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:56 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

my buddy told a Honda dealership (Iknow, leave it alone) that he could get the exact same car for $900 cheaper 1/2 hr drive away. The reply was basically if you want it serviced you get preferential treatment if you buy it from his dealership. He then started to point at people sitting doing nothing and naming off their salaries. My buddy says so I guess you are saying that all these people are overpaid and you want me to pay forthem. I just started laughing out loud. I guess all stealerships are the same.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:14 AM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

You are the perfect example of why you should take your car back to the dealer you bought it from. What you experienced is not uncommon.
1.) As far as the survey anything less then 100% is not acceptable. I think it's retarded it has to be that way but that is how it is.
2.) not letting them drive the car was a bonehead move for sure.. how can they be sure they have fixed the car if they can't try to replicate the problem. I agree wholehardetly wth the sevice advisor.. you ripped him on the survey on something that could of been remedied had you only let them drive your car. I mean come on it's a mustang not an Enzo...

My guess would be the same service manager that apoligized to you is the same guy that ripped your advisor for the poor survey.
I have a dealership in a small town and I see it all the time where peoplpe will sell you out to a larger volume store for $50 in savings and then want you to drop everything and fix their car ahead of everyone elses.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:39 AM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

Yes, and yes.......bonehead move on your part to not let them drive it for a rattle.....what were you thinking?? Yes, it was unprofessional attitude and I would have immediately gone to the service manager.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:50 AM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

Owning a Ford kind of makes you your own mechanic. Also the rattles are a simple fix, why not just do it yourself?

Quick Reply: Unpleasant dealer experience