Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I really need some warranty help! Please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:17 PM
WhichOnesTheGas

Default I really need some warranty help! Please!

Hey guys, ive been using the search bar for the past hour. I just cant seem to find the answer im looking for.

I have a vehicle i bought used, 2005 mustang gt, black with alittle over 32k miles on it. The car was purchased in 04 and thus the warranty is us. I can not get the ford extended warranty as the car does not meet the standards. Im debating if i really need the warranty as i plan on (in the semi-distant future) getting different upgrades. But that might take me years and i don't want to have anything happen until them. I know all it takes is one big ticket item to go to get your warranties worth (your ac or something), but i also know you can have the car for years and be lucky enough to not have anything to major. Would you guys recommend getting the extended warranty? im not paying for it, its a gift from the GF.

Does anyone know of a good warranty company? I was looking at Warranty Direct because they say they cover wear and tear. i also know that it can be difficult to get your money from the third party as they will tangle you up with ways to not pay. i dont want to have to deal with that, id rather pay alittle more and make sure if an issue does arise, that its taken care of efficently without too much hassle. Anyone have any companys, or ideas? Thanks for the help guys (and possibly girls) i really need some help here![:@]

ive also heard you get what you pay for, so im not really looking for the cheapest price. I still dont want my gf to part with a kidney.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:31 PM
nofear
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I really need some warranty help! Please!

chances are if it hasnt broken yet, then its not worth the money. In the long run you wont need it (dealers make bank off these)
From ford its a waste of money.
it also depends on how you drive the car.
save your money for mods.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

Let me chime in hear with my .02. Back in around 98, I bought a used 93 T-Bird. When I financed it, I purchased a warranty (think it cost around $1,200). I had up to 90 days to cancel the warranty as long as I didn't use it in that time frame. So I started to think that I wouldn't need it. There was no way that I would spend 1,200 in 3 years on repairs for this car. So I cancelled the warranty and got a refund (well, I didn't get a cash refund, but the bank loan was reduced by the amount of the warranty). About two months later, a head gasket blew and the head got jacked up. Cost me like $1,000 to get it repaired. About a year after that, the whole lower end of the engine went and I had to actually have the entire engine replaced. Luckily I was able to find a used motor in a junk yard for like $800 and I paid a friend of my dad like $400 to install it. I had a couple other problems as well. So in my opinion, I don't think I'll ever have another car that isn't under some kind of warranty. Even with my mustang, I'll probably end up selling it or trading it in before I get passed the 60k warranty.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:33 AM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

Since you bought is used, get a warranty. You have NO WAY of knowing how the car was treaded by the first owner. Car Fax only show body/ins work.

Anther problem that you already know is getting the warranty company to pay for the work. It is just like Medical Insurance. They will authorize a dollar amount for the repair, if that shop changers more, you WILL have to pay the difference. I have run into this before with a third party company. That is why a factory authorized warranty and extended warranties are ALWAYS better then third party. Use a Ford Extended warranty at a Ford service shop and there will be no questions on what you have to pay for.

Good luck.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:42 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chris07GT

Let me chime in hear with my .02. Back in around 98, I bought a used 93 T-Bird. When I financed it, I purchased a warranty (think it cost around $1,200). I had up to 90 days to cancel the warranty as long as I didn't use it in that time frame. So I started to think that I wouldn't need it. There was no way that I would spend 1,200 in 3 years on repairs for this car. So I cancelled the warranty and got a refund (well, I didn't get a cash refund, but the bank loan was reduced by the amount of the warranty). About two months later, a head gasket blew and the head got jacked up. Cost me like $1,000 to get it repaired. About a year after that, the whole lower end of the engine went and I had to actually have the entire engine replaced. Luckily I was able to find a used motor in a junk yard for like $800 and I paid a friend of my dad like $400 to install it. I had a couple other problems as well. So in my opinion, I don't think I'll ever have another car that isn't under some kind of warranty. Even with my mustang, I'll probably end up selling it or trading it in before I get passed the 60k warranty.

Stats show that yours would be a rare case. Most of the time, warranty money is better off saved for a rainy day.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Less than $0.20 of every dollar spent on extended warranties is refunded on claims.
My suggestion would be to simply set aside a maintenance account and pay into it every month.
It doesnt have to be a real account. A virtual account in your normal checking or savings account is fine.
Just as long as you dont dip ito the set-aside funds for other uses.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Nichepi
3rd Gear Member

I've got 9 cars since 1999. Granted most of them were all new and granted I tend to work on all my own vehicles inlcuding the BMW's, but to this date i've never had a warrenty and i've found most of them to all be pontless. Though if I was to have one I'd have in on the bmw over the ford's.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:22 AM
illini4
1st Gear Member

I advise against purchasing a warranty too. If warranty companies weren't making a lot of money on them, they wouldn't be selling them.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Nichepi
3rd Gear Member

Also in my opinion you won't find many extended warrenty companies that cover "everything" most of them cover specifics and only 50% of the cost of the parts and just a fraction of the labor. Save the money and buy a good tool set for when soemthing does break down.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:33 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

If its not the factory warranty that comes with the car, then dont waste your money. They will try and jam it up your ... if you have a claim and try to find any little excuse to void out the claim. Thats thei job. You have to have all the maintenance records kept up, usually by a dealership and absolutely no mods.

Quick Reply: I really need some warranty help! Please!