Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faster accelleration??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:57 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Faster accelleration??

Start with a tune and intake. Do a search and you'll find plenty of threads. I'm guessing your probably experiencing the throttle lag issue and the tune and intake will help considerably!

Then again you could just drop a 5.4L in it![8D]
Old 04-24-2008, 01:09 PM
BoilerBoy
1st Gear Member

You've got some good answers on here. Get yourself a Cold Air Intake and a Tuner (w/ tunes from Brenspeed or Bamachips) and then some exhaust, headers, etc. Gears are sounding poppular too, but I don't know that much about the actual mechanix of gearing. The weight reduction is true too if you're into stripping **** out of your car...replace seats w/ lighter ones etc. Every 100 pounds lost = .1 better in quarter mile (avg).

I also like you guys chessin. Those NOS stickers really do make you go faster.

And I'm sorry to say I saw a 3 foot high rectangular spoiler, the ones that shoot up 3 feet on each side and then just connect across, on a '98(ish) stang today...some real white trash lookin hoe though...not sure what was going on there.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:43 PM
BlackStang21
1st Gear Member

To start with order a CAI (cold air intake)/tune combo package from somewhere like Brenspeed, Bamachips, or Evolution Performance. From what I hear Bama makes really good tunes for autos becuase they do alot of research on helping the the throttle lag on autos.

Next get gears. If your car is a daily driver go with 3.73s. If its a daily driver and your not really worried about gas mileage go with 4.10s. You asked the question earlier on what exactly everyone was saying when they said 4.10s. Technically its written 3.73:1 or 4.10:1. This simply means that for every 3.73/4.10 rotation of the driveshaft the wheels will turn once. 4.10s will give you the best acceleration, but can also cut into your gas mileage slighty. And if you ever plan to get a supercharger it'd be best to go with 3.73s or even 3.55s.

From there you can do what everyone else has been suggesting. Exhaust (long tubes/shorties, midpipe), weight reduction, etc.

Good luck with the car. Congrats. Have fun making it faster, but it can burn a whole in your wallet.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:20 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: henryf357

Thanks for the info! But like i said, im a total noob, so wha exactly is the 4.10 gear thing? Iand does it work on an automatic?
The general rule of thumb is:
auto = 3.73
man= 4.10
Old 04-24-2008, 02:32 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

GT500
CAI/TUNE
4.10s
UDPs
REMOVE WEIGHT
Old 04-24-2008, 02:58 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Supercharge it.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:46 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Just go with F/I. Wish I had done this instead of spending money here and there. I could have a supercharger with all the money spent on mods.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:59 PM
atvcrazy
1st Gear Member

Nobody ever mentions 3.90s, why is that. Also dude if you can afford it, just get supercharger and be done with it. (wish I could)
Old 04-24-2008, 08:52 PM
jrhykushi
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: buster

put some huge metal wing that sticks up 4 ft in the air, a vinyl stripe of a dragon on the side that goes the length of the car, two coffee can sized mufflers and wheels that stick 8 inches outside the wheelwells. Oh wait, this isn't Civic forums is it...........nevermind
[sm=dontgetit.gif] pretty bad generalization. learn to respect all cars please..

p.s. that wasnt funny [&:]
Old 04-24-2008, 08:58 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jrhykushi

ORIGINAL: buster

put some huge metal wing that sticks up 4 ft in the air, a vinyl stripe of a dragon on the side that goes the length of the car, two coffee can sized mufflers and wheels that stick 8 inches outside the wheelwells. Oh wait, this isn't Civic forums is it...........nevermind
[sm=dontgetit.gif] pretty bad generalization. learn to respect all cars please..

p.s. that wasnt funny [&:]

Uh wow, do you need some cranberry juice?

Quick Reply: Faster accelleration??