Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A strange thing happened to my rear last night

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:03 AM
BlackStang21
1st Gear Member

Default RE: A strange thing happened to my rear last night

[/quote]

Is it just me or does that drivers side look like it is cambered in a hell of a lot more than the passenger side.
[/quote]

+1
Old 04-24-2008, 10:12 AM
cbrstng08
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joolander

you mean the passenger side, right?

if so, then yes
Sorry, Joolander your right i got turned around with the pics, its the passenger side i was reffering to.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:14 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

i think its camera angle too.

The cars are not centered well from the factory from what i have seen too.

As or wheel hop, this is suprising to see witht the mods you have. Throw a rear sway bar on, even a GT takeoff and see how you like that if the new panhard doesnt get you squared away.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:15 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

The rear end may still be working but could there be a problem with the C-clips, Axle? What size and how many spline are the axles on the4.0L? The one tire does look odd compared to the other.

If you have a lot of hard launches (enough to kill the LCA's as mentioned) it could be the Panhard, Spring, Shock? Does the car sit even? When you track differently is it when you get on it from a roll?

I just blew out the bushings on my LCA's this last weekend (split them clean in two) after only 5 launches with slicks. It took a little while to find the problem. As the bushings looked fine until we lowered the LCA's. We went with LCA's with solid end links.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:26 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: PLstang

The rear end may still be working but could there be a problem with the C-clips, Axle? What size and how many spline are the axles on the4.0L? The one tire does look odd compared to the other.

If you have a lot of hard launches (enough to kill the LCA's as mentioned) it could be the Panhard, Spring, Shock? Does the car sit even? When you track differently is it when you get on it from a roll?

I just blew out the bushings on my LCA's this last weekend (split them clean in two) after only 5 launches with slicks. It took a little while to find the problem. As the bushings looked fine until we lowered the LCA's. We went with LCA's with solid end links.
The car sometimes will sit even - other times not. The tire will stick out farther at times than others too. I know an adjustang panhard bar will fix things up, as long as nothing else is wrong. The different tracking occurs at speed on the highway, to the point where I've thought a tire is going flat. I attributed it to the crappy roads around here, but seeing the rear outa kilter I know there's a problem. I do have an excellent alignment shop in the area, but I will probably buy an adj panhard bar before taking it in and have them inspect and install at the same time.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:41 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Check to see if anything has come loose.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:46 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

28HopUp I would definetly check the rear end while the alignment shop has it on the lift, if possible.

Not sure what kind of tires you are running at the track but it's obviously seen some hard launches. If your still running stock rear end you could have an issue. If the shocks and the springs seem to be OK and the bushings on the LCA's are new, I would definetly check the rear end. The tubes are press fit and not welded. Make sure one is not shifting on you.

Your symptoms seem to be a bit more then just being off center.

Then again when I break something I seem to start noticing all kinds of noises and issues that really aren't anything! Guess I'm a little paranoid![&:]
Old 04-24-2008, 01:51 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Are you running 275s on the stock 17x8s? I would be afraid to get sideways[:-]
Old 04-24-2008, 04:40 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

ok guys, I have to share..............I just bought a new set of black 20s to replace my chrome 20s (some of you may remember my chrome Ruff Racing)...............ANYWAY.................I have the same issue as 28HopUp...................so I really think it may be the casting of the wheels because my Ruff's did not do that at all.............my son's 02 GT has the same thing when he bought his new 18s!!!!

Just something to think about, not sure where that will go......lol
Old 04-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

How's THAT for a thread title? Now that I have your attention...

Not too long ago, somebody posted on one of the forums about a problem he had after buying new wheels where one side stuck out farther than the other (I can't find that thread now). Well, I noticed a similar problem with my coupe. Granted, my driveway is not level, and the problem is not as pronounced when the car is parked in the garage. However, after putting 275/50R17 Nitto NT450's on the stock Bullitts recently, I just noticed that the driver's side tire sticks out of the wheelwell. The driver's side is also higher than the passenger side.

Take a look:

The only mods to the 7.5" rear-end are CHE LCA's, a BMR UCA, 4.10's & LSD. It still retains the stock springs, shocks, and panhard bar. The problem is not the wheels either, as these are the factory 17x8" Bullitts that came on the car.

I have my suspicion as to the cause, but appreciate some feedback before I take it in for a look-see. TIA![/align]
What you're getting is known as 'Dog tracking' it's where the rear-end loses it's alignment with the front. On older verhicles it was VERY common. Just look at old pickup trucks or even older mustangs that haven't been fully restored.

On newer vehicle it's typcially due to different things like Out of Alignment on cars that use struts in the rear, Axle shift from hard launching or a bent frame. Your cause is the Axle shift most likely.

When you launch hard, the car naturally wants to twist the entire body to the right while the axle wants to go to the left. It's called body torquing. Take it to an alignment shop first, then get some subframes to keep the body straight.

Quick Reply: A strange thing happened to my rear last night