great way to clean horribly dirty rims!! - Page 3 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005-2014 Mustangs
Reload this Page >

great way to clean horribly dirty rims!!

Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

great way to clean horribly dirty rims!!

Old 04-26-2008, 10:23 AM
my06shaker
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: great way to clean horribly dirty rims!!

I take my wheels off to clean them inside and out. Also gives you the perfect opportunity to clean your wheel wells. After you use a suitable medium to clean whatever wheel material you have use a spray detailer (several coats) such as Meguiars #34 Final Inspection on the inside of the rims. Brake dust can't get a hold on those silicones and polymers. What does stick will readily wash away with a spray of water during a wash.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:25 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Wow! I can't believe you actually used Comet on your rims! There are a ton of rim cleaners on the market that is SAFE to use on your rims. I bet now the finish is toast!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

I just use a seperate wash mitt from what I use to wash my car for the lower body and the wheels. wheel specific acids are the best thing to use for removing heavy brake dust accumulation but if you don't have a power washer they aren't as effective. They also make wheel brushes that do a good job of helping to break loose large amounts of brake dust.

Neverdull isn't much better on a wheel then comet. take some bare polished aluminum and rub it on that and yo will see what I mean. Most wheels of today are clearcoated so car wax is just as effective at protectin and shine then anything else they offer..
if you have a rim that isn't clearcloated Bluemagic is a great polish to use on bare metal.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:01 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

Being a person that is very into detailing and has more money into supplies for detailing than some people do in their mods. I have to say WOW. The only thing that should be cleaning your wheels is soap and water with a dedicated mit. If you've got tough spots that won't come clean than you need to clay your wheels. If you've got a true chrome wheel, not polished/cleared, than it's okay to use a cleaner like the Eagle Nano Chrome Wheel Cleaner, etc to get them clean. But don't do it often. After you've got them cleaned well enough you need to be applying a wheel sealant like Poorboy's Wheel Sealant or a synthetic wax like NXT or Meguiars #21.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Live Wire
1st Gear Member

Just a quick thread hijack... do you guys clean your rims before the rest of the car? Unlike my wrangler that has mucho wheel well clearance, I find doing the rims after the car sucks... a slight breeze takes the overspray and plants it back on the nice clean body.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:08 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

I clean my wheels before washing my vehicle. I apply tire shine after the car has been dried completely. I use a back pack Echo blower to dry my vehicles plus a Meguiars Water Magnet for any of the little stuff. I use Hyperdressing for tire shine and apply it with a foam applicator. I usually spray the applicator away from the vehicle so as to not get overspray on the finish. You've got to do anything you can with a Black car to make it look good.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:36 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Ouch..comet?
Old 04-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Stndbck
3rd Gear Member

Comet...wow. I haven't even used that in my kitchen or bathroom because it is too abrasive.
I have the 18" polished rims and to be honest they are the easiest rims that I have ever had to clean on any of the cars I have owed. I use ice detailer on them regularly and the crap comes right off.