MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   great way to clean horribly dirty rims!! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/437672-great-way-to-clean-horribly-dirty-rims.html)

brendend 04-25-2008 09:55 AM

great way to clean horribly dirty rims!!

so instead of using the clr i went in my shed and looked at my cleaning supplies. the 2 things that caught my eye were turtle wax bug & tar remover and..... comet. so i do 1 rim with just bug & tar another with just comet and 1 with them mixed. i let the stuff sit on the rims for about 5 min. now the reason i have so much crap on my rims (caked on break dust, salt from the roads, other gunk that i have no idea what it was), in winter my car was in canada. the body shop drove it around to get random stuff done and never cleaned the salt off my rims. i drove it home and just did a quick wash and it didnt do the trick. i was planning on getting new rims so i didnt bother cleaning them. well... after about 5 months of not cleaning my rims i went nuts and decided i have to do something about it, so here we are. anywho back to the rims. the bug n tar did alright, the comet did alright, alitte better if anything but the 1 thats has both came out awsome! i only scrubed for about 10 min with a good firm brush and i got almost all of the crap off! the brushed aluminum actually looks like... brushed aluminum again!!! so went iaround did all the rims that way and they came out preaty good. im going to take 1 rim off at a time later 2night and do them that way soi can get a better position and finish it up. ill post the pics of the before and after shots for people who might not belive it.

rshamekh 04-25-2008 09:59 AM

RE: great way to clean horribly dirty rims!!

What's the comet?

brendend 04-25-2008 10:01 AM

comet is a house hold cleaner. for tubs, tial, toilets, ect ect

jahudso2 04-25-2008 10:28 AM

yeah the comet is a powder that comes in a (i think its green) cylindrical tube

techmanBDsStang 04-25-2008 10:33 AM

I haven't used it on my car rims, as they don't get bad, but on my bikes, they can get bad, I use WD-40 right before the wash. Works like a charm. It wipes the crud right off.

ink003 04-25-2008 10:34 AM

christ, comet?! that's a rather abrasive cleaner - it's almost like using a brillo pad; it's definitely grainy and harsh. i guess if you didn't have any problems, that's cool, but i wouldn't ever use that stuff on my rims. i mean, sand paper would get tar and salt off, too :eek:

Stkjock 04-25-2008 10:57 AM

I cant imagine that comet is good for a polished or painted rim due to its abrasive nature

CroDalmatinac 04-25-2008 11:03 AM

Buy the new Alcoa rims. All you need to do is spray them with water and wipe them down. I love them haha.

Scotte28516 04-25-2008 11:32 AM

For cleaning my rims, I use the commercial Windex Powerizedcleaner. It has no ammonia, does have vinegar, and brake dust literally rinses away. It removes grease and tar and does not harm the wheel finish. It works better than any wheel cleaner I've bought, and best of all, it's way cheaper!:D

157dB 04-25-2008 11:41 AM

ORIGINAL: ink003

christ, comet?! that's a rather abrasive cleaner - it's almost like using a brillo pad; it's definitely grainy and harsh. i guess if you didn't have any problems, that's cool, but i wouldn't ever use that stuff on my rims. i mean, sand paper would get tar and salt off, too :eek:
+1
Christ, Comet?
Bonehead move on your part. [:o]
Why not just sandblast them
or use crumpled up aluminum foil?