Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood paint bubble (rust) TSB?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:04 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Hood paint bubble (rust) TSB?

It's not a recall. The TSB just basically outlines instructions for what the problem is and how to fix it.

I took mine in to my Ford dealer this morning and the bodyshop manager who kind of knows me because I've spent a few hours and a couple bucks at that place was cool about it, said it should be fine to fix under warrenty.

I didn't bother bring in the TSB (those pages you guys linked to won't load for me for some reason) but everything seemed to be fine.

Unfortunately they're booked up for a solid month or so, so this is gonna have to wait a while but hopefully they do a good job (always nerve-racking getting paint work done) and the issue doesn't come back.

What a pain.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:07 AM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

It is under rust warranty which is 6/60,000 miles if I am not mistaken. They have to fix it no matter what you have done. I took my car with the nitrous hooked up with 1/2 a bottle to get this fix and they told me about the nitrous and bla bla bla and I told them I am very sorry but the nitrous has nothing to do with the rust on the hood.

Andrew
Old 04-29-2008, 07:10 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: raubt

It's not a recall. The TSB just basically outlines instructions for what the problem is and how to fix it.

I took mine in to my Ford dealer this morning and the bodyshop manager who kind of knows me because I've spent a few hours and a couple bucks at that place was cool about it, said it should be fine to fix under warrenty.

I didn't bother bring in the TSB (those pages you guys linked to won't load for me for some reason) but everything seemed to be fine.

Unfortunately they're booked up for a solid month or so, so this is gonna have to wait a while but hopefully they do a good job (always nerve-racking getting paint work done) and the issue doesn't come back.

What a pain.
Do they repaint the whole hood inside and out or just where the damage is? For example, if the bubbles are under the hood, do they just repaint under the hood or do they have to paint the top too?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:29 AM
tedBalog
2nd Gear Member

For mine, they sprayed the entire hood, and underside.. They said the sealant they put under the fold of the front of the bumper wasn't applied well enough.. They applied too much so it was sicking out the ends so i had to take it back a few times.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:05 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

With regards to warranty - if I have ford "fix" this before my 3 year/36,000 miles warranty is up, but it comes back at say 50,000 miles, will my extended warranty cover it (6 year 75,000 miles) or am I SOL? I know the corrosion coverage is 5 year/60,000 miles, but that's for perforation only. As I read it (see below) this "bubbling" will only be covered under 3/36 warranty. I'm just wondering if the fix turns out to be temporary, will I have to pay for the next attempt if i'm out of warranty.

[align=left]Corrosion Coverage
Under your New Vehicle Limited Warranty, Corrosion Coverage begins at the
warranty start date and covers body sheet metal panels against corrosion
due to a defect in factory-supplied materials or workmanship. Corrosion coverage
(which lasts for 5 years, regardless of miles driven) only applies if the
corrosion causes perforation (holes) in body sheet metal panels.[/align]
[align=left]If corrosion does not cause perforation (holes), and is not the result of
usage and/or environmental conditions, paint damage is covered under
the terms of the Bumper to Bumper Warranty (3 years or 36,000 miles,[/align]whichever occurs first).
Old 04-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

I think it might fall into a grey area because there is already a TSB about the problem.

Andrew
Old 04-29-2008, 04:25 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

On mine they just sanded, primered and painted the affected areas (I guess also clear on the visible part) - it was bubbling on the front part of the hood just bottom of center about 1/4 inch) and a couple of places under the hood in front I found. It is Satin Silver and you can not tell unless you open the hood and look under the front part - then you can tell it was sanded, primed and painted. The visible section is undetectable. The TSB says to only repair the affected area. Not sure they followed the instructions in the TSB to the letter because they are pretty detailed.

It was only bubbling - no perforation - but the body shop manager told me thay had seen it before on another Mustang and an Explorer and it was fixed under warranty.

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

ORIGINAL: rogan01

I had the same problem about 2 months ago. Took it to the dealer body shop and they fixed it. Not sure if they did it according the TSB insiructions though. At one point they actually told me they would replace the hood but then they changed their mind for some reason. I documented it all with Ford in case it happens again I will argue for a new hood. So far no re-occurrence. Good luck. btw - The thing about not fixing it until the blister bursts is BS.
I've noticed some raised areas or bubbles under the lip of the hood just to the right of center. Do they repaint the whole hood inside and out or just that area? If they are painting the whole thing, I may wait awhile.

From what I understand, the TSB is not only for Mustangs, but for many other Ford vehicles.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:19 PM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

I'm confused, I thought the hood was aluminum. Aluminum doesn't rust!

Also, someone said something about a recall, recalls are for NTSB saftey issues, not stuff like paint and rust.TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) as one poster said, it's for known problems and what the fix is, not a guarantee that Ford will fix it for free, unless it occurs under warranty.

I agee that regardless, the dealer should fix it,due tobad factory prep before the car was painted (I'm thinking oil, or some kind of solvent on the hood).

One final thing, the 6/60 rust warranty only applies if the metal is rusted through, it doesn't cover surface rust, "been there experienced that" LOL.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Kara
4th Gear Member

I am going to check my car out tonight!
Old 04-29-2008, 06:26 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BeeStang

I'm confused, I thought the hood was aluminum. Aluminum doesn't rust!
Think again! Aluminum does rust only it isn't red!

Quick Reply: Hood paint bubble (rust) TSB?