Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird engine noise after CAI install.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 02:07 AM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

Default Weird engine noise after CAI install.

My brother has a 06 GT, car has been running great, we love driving it. We decided to get a JLT CAI and SCT tune, however after installing it, at WOT we heard a very weird noise coming from the intake area. It sounds like a rattle kinda, liek a loose bracket vibrating, or maybe like a loose exaust clamp. It only does it at high rpms under load only, around 4500-6000 come off and on during that range. It also gets worse on hot weather, and when engine is fully warmed up. I know most of you are gonna say pinging, but its hard to believe pinging sounding like that. Any body get this noise from a JLT intake with SCT tune?

thanx
Old 04-28-2008, 07:42 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Weird engine noise after CAI install.

I used to get pinging in the summer from my old corolla under high load. It sounded kind of like shaking up a tin can with a couple of pennies in it, but a little higher pitched.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:28 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

One thing you can do is tell your brother to load his lowest octane performance tune and see if you still here the sound. If it goes away, that means you probably have a lower octane than 93 in your tank, and you just need to stay with that lower tune till you run a couple more tanks of 93 through.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:29 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

under load only, metal sounding noise....most likely its pinging. what tune are you running. 87 89 91 93... you have to run the right gas.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:14 AM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

I have the same problem [:@]

It got to me soo much that I eventually loaded the stock tune and reinstalled the stock airbox. After that I still had the sound [:@][:@]

I then went to a local dealership and test drove an 08GT only to find that the sound was STILL there, on a brand new 08GT. It wasnt as loud, but it was there.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: volcomchester18

My brother has a 06 GT, car has been running great, we love driving it. We decided to get a JLT CAI and SCT tune, however after installing it, at WOT we heard a very weird noise coming from the intake area. It sounds like a rattle kinda, liek a loose bracket vibrating, or maybe like a loose exaust clamp. It only does it at high rpms under load only, around 4500-6000 come off and on during that range. It also gets worse on hot weather, and when engine is fully warmed up. I know most of you are gonna say pinging, but its hard to believe pinging sounding like that. Any body get this noise from a JLT intake with SCT tune?

thanx
That sounds like pinging. Switch brands of gas or gas stations. I stay away from the gas station nearest to my house these days. They have a full service car wash and a few times I've gotten bad gas (probably had water in it) so I stopped going there. Never had the issues with pinging again.

How many miles are on the car? Spark plugs could have alot of carbon build up which would cause pre-ignition under those conditions. Try a fuel system cleaner and a higher octane on the next tank regardless of what Octane tune is in the car.

As far as it goes for a new car doing that (acrokat) could just be the computer calibrating itself.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:24 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

What about the heat shield from the CAI or maybe the CAI itself hitting something
Old 04-28-2008, 12:32 PM
SonicBlue05GT
4th Gear Member

my car, and my last GT would do it on 87 octane. switched to 89 and no more noise.

there's a section in the manual that says go with a higher octane if you are getting pinging.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:03 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

havent heard any pinging in mine(stock) but got a question- being all aluminum, is it a lot louder than an old iron motor?
Old 05-02-2008, 03:57 AM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

Had a busy week, thanx for the responses. Well my brother has the 91 tune, I guess we will try the 89 tune and see if it goes away. It most likely is pinging, because how it happens under load on warm weather. Now that its cooler, he says the noise went away. Man this sux, intake is awesome why would it ping, guess the tune is not good

Quick Reply: Weird engine noise after CAI install.