Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone own or drive a G37, how does it compare to a S197?

Old 04-30-2008, 11:26 AM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

Default Anyone own or drive a G37, how does it compare to a S197?

I find myself liking this car a lot.
I am starting to want something more luxury and refined then my Stang and this car looks sweet, not to mention 330 ponies should makes the car scoot.
Anyone drive or have one, how does it compare to a S197 is looks, comfort, performance, quality?
Old 04-30-2008, 11:46 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone own or drive a G37, how does it compair to a S197?

I've never driven a G37, but I have driven a few BMW 335's and those cars are nothing short of amazing. It makes 300 ftlbs of torque from 1300-5500 rpms and redlines at 7000rpm. With just a $400 piggy back on the computer andgood tires, there is a guy running 0-60 in under 4 seconds on the BMW forums. Sorry that wasnt about the G37, but the 335 is in the same price range and I think you should go take a test drive so that you can feel that beast of a motor.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:52 AM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

I was thinking about a 135i for a bit, it has the same engine as the 335i, 300HP twin turbo straight 6.
The amazing thing thatI have read on the forums is that peopleare getting 80 more HP on just a tune, that is just crazy.
But I have also read that the new computers released after 3/08 make it impossible to retune the computer, but I think a piggy back is still ok.

I might have to loook at the BMW again, the G37 that i have been specing out is around 42k-43k, which is in 335i territory.
I know these prices are way over a stock GT price but I want the same perforance and the comfort, which is why I ask.
Anyone else, thanks?
Old 04-30-2008, 11:53 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

I've got no experience with a G37, however I've driven an automatic G35 coupe and it's pretty fun. Handles great, rides really well and has a great engine. The interior is pretty tight (I'm 6'3) but I could definitely deal with it. The G37 is better looking than the G35 and I'm sure has been improved in many facets over the G35.

Too bad it sounds like a shoebox full of bees... [:@]

Old 04-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

Can't tell you about the G37 but I can tell you about the G35 which is pretty much the same car minus the extra 20 horses.

It's a pretty sweet car, not quite as quick in the straights because there's a lot less torque (compared toa GT Stang) especially in the low-mid range. Of course, the G35 performs a lot better in the corners... very poised, no flex, neutral handling with the electronic nannies helping.

Looks are just subjective so I won't bother too much, I think the sedan/coupe has an awesome hood but everything else is kinda plaise imo. The coupe is pretty sexy but not as much presence as the Mustang.

Quality was excellent though interior materials weren't as good as some others in it's class imo though on par with the 3-series. (TL, A4, CTS)

If you're looking for extra refinement, I think the G35 will be smoother than the Mustang in many regards, the interior is a much more inviting place for sure.

However, if you think the G37 Coupe rides a lot better than the Mustang you'll be mistaken. It is a VERY VERY sporty and sharp ride, imo even a notch firmer than your typical European sport sedan... you feel everything in that car, moreso than the Mustang despite it's live axle setup.

The sedan versions ride a lot better, not quite luxury quality but very planted and firm, which I personally find preferable to softer ride ala Lexus.

So here's my little conclusion: if the Stang is getting too cramped and uncomfortable for you, I'd say the G-sedan will be a pretty good choice and you'll have room for more people as well. If you're going for the coupe, you're trading off slight ride comfort for better interior, less low down torque for improved cornering.. and it costs more, so in my opinion I think the sedan is more worthwhile in this case if comfort, roominess, space for four is what you're looking for.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:02 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Qusus

Can't tell you about the G37 but I can tell you about the G35 which is pretty much the same car minus the extra 20 horses.

However, if you think the G37 Coupe rides a lot better than the Mustang you'll be mistaken. It is a VERY VERY sporty and sharp ride, imo even a notch firmer than your typical European sport sedan... you feel everything in that car, moreso than the Mustang despite it's live axle setup.
Wait, I thought you hadn't driven a G37? Just curious since I too am interested in some info.

I too looked at the 135s. Pretty incredible that they put the 335 engine in the smaller car. That being said, its looks don't compare the the 335 IMO.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JRT1

I was thinking about a 135i for a bit, it has the same engine as the 335i, 300HP twin turbo straight 6.
The amazing thing thatI have read on the forums is that peopleare getting 80 more HP on just a tune, that is just crazy.
But I have also read that the new computers released after 3/08 make it impossible to retune the computer, but I think a piggy back is still ok.

I might have to loook at the BMW again, the G37 that i have been specing out is around 42k-43k, which is in 335i territory.
I know these prices are way over a stock GT price but I want the same perforance and the comfort, which is why I ask.
Anyone else, thanks?
Between the G37 and the 335i and 135i i would have to go with the BMW. I have seen the 135's for less coin then the G37 and is a much better performer.

As for the tune, Yes you can refalsh the computer. I have done several 335's and one 135. The reason you dont see more people tunning the ecu is because not everyone has cracked the mask id and it is easier to develop a piggy back that fools the sensors. With a simple piggy back from Vishnu or other sources it ups the boost a little and adjust fuel. Most people see about 60hp gain from that. I have squeezed 98hp and 86ft lbs of torque out of a 335i with a good tune and a cat back. Also if you remove the delay valve from the clutch on the manual, it becomes a launch freak!!!
Old 04-30-2008, 12:11 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

That is some great information Qusus thank you.
I really like my Mustang; it has great looks, sounds amazing, and has great acceleration.
The think I have been annoyed with in the Stang is clunky sounds of the care, the rear end sounds like someone hits it with a sledge hammer if a shift the slightest bit hard. [:@]
The tranny makes all kinds of pops, clicks, moans and groans.

Usually I would have no problem living with that, but it is starting to wear on my nerves.
Couple all of that with the fact that it is a hotrod and I have no self control.
If I am in a hotrodI will smoke the tires, sling corners fishtailing 30 degrees out, nail it every chance I get to just hear the exhaust.
I just got out of two reckless operation tickets, I am sure I will not be so lucky on the next.

So in a nutshell I am 40 and starting to want something to cruise in that has nice comfort and amenities while being sporty and having good performance, so for the dollars the G37 looks attractive, as do the BMWs.
If I am in more of a luxury coupe I won't drive it like an idiot, but that is what the Mustang was made for.
Steve O is right though, the G37 does kind of sound like a box of bees. LOL.
Well I won’t be making up my mind for awhile anyways; I need to kill some debt first.
Anyone else have any thoughts, thanks guys and gals?
Old 04-30-2008, 12:14 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Z06 Killer

ORIGINAL: JRT1

Anyone else, thanks?
Between the G37 and the 335i and 135i i would have to go with the BMW. I have seen the 135's for less coin then the G37 and is a much better performer.

As for the tune, Yes you can refalsh the computer. I have done several 335's and one 135. The reason you dont see more people tunning the ecu is because not everyone has cracked the mask id and it is easier to develop a piggy back that fools the sensors. With a simple piggy back from Vishnu or other sources it ups the boost a little and adjust fuel. Most people see about 60hp gain from that. I have squeezed 98hp and 86ft lbs of torque out of a 335i with a good tune and a cat back. Also if you remove the delay valve from the clutch on the manual, it becomes a launch freak!!!
Wow, that is amazing.
98 and 86ft lbs of torque from cats and a tune?
Old 04-30-2008, 12:30 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

With the BMW, you definately wont hear any of the clunks and rattles. I test drove a 335 before I bought my stang and I was just chugging along at around 40 mph in 6th gear just seeing what kind of low end torque it had. Then the dealer told me to "put it in 3rd and give it some gas," so I dropped 3rd gear and floored it, brought it up to redline and shifted into 4th. I looked down at the speedometer because I thought I was going about 80mph, but I was really going 120mph (on a 45mph road). There is no wind noise or clunks or rattles or anything in those cars and they pull like nothing you have ever felt before. Go test drive a G37 and 335 (or 135) back to back and you will be hooked on the twin turbo bmw motor. Or if you like the looks of the 135, which I do, I would check into those as well since they are about 5k less. You are also in Vette territory though, so I wouldnt leave them out. Good luck with your new car search and have fun!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone own or drive a G37, how does it compare to a S197?