Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Important question from a parent towards a child's safety

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default RE: hey guys first post and important question from a parent.

ORIGINAL: augustburnsred

hey! saw this message board and thought i would stop by.

it's my sons 17th birthday this coming weekend and i think ill be getting him an I O U for a mustang. is a mustang a safe first car for a child? the men at the local dealership asked me for their 'supercharged' mustangs and if im at all interested. what's the differance?

thanks, and remember that this is about a childs safty!
The supercharged mustang is something that's important to understand first off. Itisn't something to be taken lightly, a supercharged mustang has somewhere around 500-750 horsepower. To give an idea of how much that is, the last honda civic had 101 horsepower.

With that being said, the mustang is one of the safest cars on the road. It could probably stay together if it was hit with a roadside bomb let alone anything else. The government's crash ratings only go up to a maxium of 5 stars, but it has been repeatedly said that the mustang is safer than most other cars it is compared to and THOSE are 5 star cars too.

Anyway, it's probably a bad idea to get a kid a mustang, the IIHS illustrates this best. Out of the hundreds of cars sold in America, the top 5 cars for being the most dangerous to drive, contains a car called the Nissan 350Z. It is something like the 4th most likley to get into an accident in america. On the other hand a car called the Infinity G35, which is the EXACT same car as the 350z but with different headlights tail lights seats and some more chrome trim. This car is sold by the luxury division of Nissan. That car out of the hundreds ofcars sold in america is in the BOTTOM 5 cars for being the most dangerous to drive.

Both have the same horsepower, both have the same chassis, both have the same visibility but one is hugely more dangerous to drive. The last generation mustang was in this top 5 also, but the new one is not, though it is still up there, but either way this shows that a luxury oriented car is a way better idea espetiallyfor some one who would be at risk from the dangers of a car.

Instead of a mustang, I would get a VW or a Mercedes. Those cars can be had for less than a new v6 mustang and are resonably realiable. I'm sure anyone would be just as happy with that.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:43 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

This question also need to be answered with a little geographic input as well. Do you live above the snowbelt? If yes I would say no to any mustang for a first and only car for a 17 year old. Another issue, the chances of your kid getting in a wreck in the next three years (either driving or being driven by one of his/her friends) is very nearly 100%. A mustang, because it encourages anyone behind the wheel to drive fast is going to make this a certainty. My 17 year old daughter scares me silly behind the wheel because she just does not have the experience on the road. I am absolutely going to take her to a very serious driving course like Skips and have her taught the physics of the car. You would be absolutely nuts to consider a supercharged mustang as it is a handlful even in the hands of the best drivers. I really don't think giving him a new mustang is a good idea either, but its much better than an old one. I guess I would find something with front and side airbags, skid control, traction control, rear detection system. Maybe a lowered Edge with a SCT Tune. Its fun, fast, safe and holds all his friends.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:48 PM
kngdaka
4th Gear Member

get him a 6er, definitely don't get him a GT.

I'm 19 and I bought myself the 6er you see pictured in my signature as a used car in September. It's a peppy little car, fun to drive, and it still attracts the girls (I've got two dates this weekend with 2 separate girls) It's got enough power for me to have a little bit of fun but I definitely can't kill myself with all the power. I drive it every day (sun, rain, snow) and I haven't had a problem with the tail end trying to get ahead of me like some GTers have had (and have posted pictures of their wrecks).

Used V6 2005+ is a good place to start IMO.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:52 PM
tkechris

i didnt, the game warden said i couldnt keep him. he also said that atleast i didnt shoot him with a "Bullitt". Not very funny.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:58 PM
brendend
4th Gear Member

i just thought of a few more things. power isnt what kills you. its speed. you can speed in anycar. if hes smart, like i was. he'll learn the characteristics of his car before he really gets on it. i didnt get on my car for the first 3 weeks i owned it. not because of the break in period. ive always been told break em in like your going to drive them. i say get him a v-6 or if you dont mind waiting up at night a gt. put limits on how much he can drive. times he can drive.
also guys, i have never been in a accident involving another car or stationary object. and i hit the deer almost 3 years after i got my license, alot of my friends have never been in a wreck. statisicts are just that. its not saying your going get in a accident when you first get your license. its just a higher possibility. males in general have a higher chance of getting in a accident. dont bash the kid because hes young.

anothing thing you should consider is insurance. im 20 years old. i have 2 points on my license, and im im paying 2200 per 6 months for full coverage. i also live in nj so our insurance is always crazy.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Playboy06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Andretti

Congrats on being an obviously wise parent and looking into stuff instead of just handing a 17 y/o the keys to a car without putting any thought into it.

That being said, I

1) wouldnt suggest getting him a new car. Like its been said before, most of us got into (at the very least) some minor fender benders when we first started driving. Also, there have been numerous posts here about high school drivers getting their cars keyed by jealous schoolmates. That alone would make me shy away from a new car.

2) a V6 mustang would and could certainly fit the bill, but I wouldnt consider a new one due to what I mentioned before about kids keying it. A used one might be easier, but no less of a target though.

I cannot strongly enough suggest NOT to get any sort of supercharged car.

The other law I would hand down along with the keys is a seatbelt at ALL timesis no use of a phone unless car is at a complete stop or at the very least, being used in a "hands free" situation. As a firefighter for 14+ years, I've ran and seen enough of wrecks where kids are driving while doing other things (phone use, too many friends in car at the same time, etc) and someone ended up dead. Kids by no means hold that distinction soley, as I've run wrecks where the parent was gabbing and ended up killing their kid too.

Again, congrats on obviously being a caring and responsible parent. The world needs many many more of us.

Bryan
I'm gonna call you sun shine... You made me not wanna drive to Taco Bell for lunch.. lol

I drove a 1993 Corolla for 13 months (of course learning how to drive) - After that period I awarded myself with a 2006 V6 Mustang, enough power to keep me happy and looks very slick.

I think a mustang is a great first car, it teaches responsibilty and demands the person learn how to take care of the car..

Atleast it did for me!

-Josh
Old 05-01-2008, 05:01 PM
brendend
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tkechris

i didnt, the game warden said i couldnt keep him. he also said that atleast i didnt shoot him with a "Bullitt". Not very funny.
that sucks. if i hit a buck you bet i woulda mounted that basterd. even if his head was bashed in. lol
Old 05-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Solitear
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: augustburnsred

hey! saw this message board and thought i would stop by.

it's my sons 17th birthday this coming weekend and i think ill be getting him an I O U for a mustang. is a mustang a safe first car for a child? the men at the local dealership asked me for their 'supercharged' mustangs and if im at all interested. what's the differance?

thanks, and remember that this is about a childs safty!
forgod's sake no.......

1. its too much HP 300+ is a no

2. a v6 is a yes due to it not being so quick

from my personal experiance i got a 2002 v6 mustang as my second car my first was a 96 camry 100+k miles all messed up but hey got me to point a and b now i have a 06 gt (Camry i purchased myself, 02 v6 stang my mom, 06 gt all me =d)

it's better if u buy him a v6 or v4 then have him buy his own gt he have more respect and satisfaction for busten his but got it. belive me i am happy as hell.
Get him a used 4 banger.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:28 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

There's a lot of things to be considering. I wouldn't go supercharger regardless as a parent. Is he a good driver? Has he been around cars for a long time? Is he going to take care of it or is he going to abuse it? Safety wise the Mustang seems to be pretty safe. I'm just more concerned with the trouble he could get himself into as well as others. It's pretty tempting to burry the pedal in the floor.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:29 PM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sailing220

The age of a driver isn't the issue, it is the amount of experience. I'm 17, but I've been operating machines and vehicles since I was 13. I'm assuming your child has been driving since he/she was 15/16, meaning he/she has about 1 year of driving experience. I think a V6 would be the best option. If you got a GT, you could have a limited use period where he/she only drove with you and learned the power, etc. Then once he/she is able to control the car you can let he/she drive it alone. Definately do not get the supercharged Mustang.
Age of the driver is a big issue and the main one. Most kids, not all but 95% of guys 16/17 years old out by theirself or with friends with a mustang... spells trouble. They will be racing, showing off... all of that. I dont agree with any parents buying their kid a car & def. not a new/newer GT.. Who buys a 17 year old 300HP knowing he's going to take advantage of it.. Im almost 20, I dont "have a car" really, I've been saving to get a new GT but I've drove my mom's Jaguar XJ8 and when you have supercharged V8 at your feet, it's extremly hard not to let it all loose.

Quick Reply: Important question from a parent towards a child's safety