Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xcalibrator 3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 01:23 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Xcalibrator 3?

I must have gotten lucky and had one of the earlier Xcal 3's.......cause I had some issues with the damn tempermental thing. [8D]

But......thanks to a fellow member, I got straightened out and everything works just fine on it now~!

I think you'd be fine with the Xcal 3. I really think SCT has gotten the issues worked out. [&:]
Old 05-03-2008, 01:45 AM
Leos06gtLL
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

ORIGINAL: rcj2000

I got my tune from bamachips within 2 hours of ordering it. 93 race tune. If your gonna get a canned tune why are you gonna pay all that money for the xcal3. I just bought a used tuner for 180 and paid 50 to bamachips. I also have an offroad pipe and i used the xcal to erase that. you can use any xcal to erase that even if its married to another car. If you want a brand new tuner you i have seen them go for less than 250 on ebay BRAND NEW. since the xcal3 came out it pushed down the price of the xcal2
if by erase you mean clear the codes, they do comeback, you actually need to have your tuner (person) turn of the 02s for the xcal. Diablo you can handle this yourself.

As for a used tuner, many people have gotten burned because of this. The tuners are still married to the other car and some other problems that caused people to spend a good deal of extra dough to get fixed.

Also, if you get 3 tunes from Bama or Brespeed, you will not be saving that much money at all

$200 used tuner
$125-$150 for three tunes and you are almost at the cost of a NEW tuner with the tunes

its worth the extra $25 to have the tuner come preloaded with tune and support to.

All of this is my opinion. Hell i bought my xcal used for $200. I already had a diablo too, but wanted to try a Brenspeed and VMP tune. So $75 for brenspeed, $50 for VMP and anothe $50 for a tillman tune plus the 4 Tunes from Bama, i have spent a great deal of money on tuning and have gotten great results from the tuners and he xcal
Sorry to hijack the thread.....But in all honesty who's your favorite tuner so far Matt? I am up for a re tune.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:04 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

still run the Bama race and torq.....To be fair i havent gotten my Brenspeed or VMP tune updated since i put the headers installed so i havent used them in several months. If i didnt have to shell out another $125 i would update both of them for gears and headers.

If i get the NSR cams done, well brenspeed dyno tune will be in order, I hear Doug can still make an email tune for the NSR cams also so I will probably have hm do that and through it on a dyno to make sure its running safely. We will see.....im talking atleast another $2-3k in mods yet for hood, front bumper and cams [:@]
Old 05-04-2008, 12:23 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rcj2000

I got my tune from bamachips within 2 hours of ordering it. 93 race tune. If your gonna get a canned tune why are you gonna pay all that money for the xcal3. I just bought a used tuner for 180 and paid 50 to bamachips. I also have an offroad pipe and i used the xcal to erase that. you can use any xcal to erase that even if its married to another car. If you want a brand new tuner you i have seen them go for less than 250 on ebay BRAND NEW. since the xcal3 came out it pushed down the price of the xcal2
if by erase you mean clear the codes, they do comeback, you actually need to have your tuner (person) turn of the 02s for the xcal. Diablo you can handle this yourself.

As for a used tuner, many people have gotten burned because of this. The tuners are still married to the other car and some other problems that caused people to spend a good deal of extra dough to get fixed.

Also, if you get 3 tunes from Bama or Brespeed, you will not be saving that much money at all

$200 used tuner
$125-$150 for three tunes and you are almost at the cost of a NEW tuner with the tunes

its worth the extra $25 to have the tuner come preloaded with tune and support to.

All of this is my opinion. Hell i bought my xcal used for $200. I already had a diablo too, but wanted to try a Brenspeed and VMP tune. So $75 for brenspeed, $50 for VMP and anothe $50 for a tillman tune plus the 4 Tunes from Bama, i have spent a great deal of money on tuning and have gotten great results from the tuners and he xcal
You can't turn off the O2 sensors by yourself with the Xcal but you can with the Diablo? Hmmm...This alone might sway me over to the Diablo then.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:38 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

The only problem is Doug is the only vendor that will support it out of the three. Really this will only matter if you have to have them turned on for inspection. Otherwise you can just have them shut off in the tune no matter what. It doesnt matter if you have an o/r pipe or not. The sensors are not critical to operation of the car, only for inspections basically. Also if you read the FAQ thread, there is a link to a thread that doug wrote that explains the actual info behind the O2 sensor activation.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:18 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

I live in Cali and I need to be able to turn the o2 sensors on and off whenever I need to. User adjustability in this case is a must. Don't want the wait or hassle of asking a tuner just to turn on/off the sensors whenever I need to. I guess I'll get the JLT w/Diablo package instead of the JLT w/Xcal 3 from Bamachips like Ioriginally planned. Thanks Matt for saving me the potential disappointment of getting the Xcal and later learning I can't turn off the O2 sensors with it. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 05-04-2008, 02:24 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

doug can write a tune specially for passing emissions too if you would like. One thing i will mention, the diablo seems to erase all the custom tunes loaded onto it when you return to stock, so you will need to have the tunes emailed to you also so you can reload them if needed. I guess they take return to stock a little more seriously
Old 05-04-2008, 04:04 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

doug can write a tune specially for passing emissions too if you would like. One thing i will mention, the diablo seems to erase all the custom tunes loaded onto it when you return to stock, so you will need to have the tunes emailed to you also so you can reload them if needed. I guess they take return to stock a little more seriously
You mean pass emissions even with an off road pipe? That would be sweet but then California has the visual inspection too and the smog guy would see that I have no cats.

I don't mind having the custom tunes erased when returning to stock. As long as I have it via email is good enough. Should be easy to reload it from PC to tuner. Can't wait for the $600 rebate from the IRS!
Old 05-10-2008, 11:06 AM
kaponelb
1st Gear Member

lol thats what i bought with my irsmoney got it yesterday c&L intake and a xcal 2
Old 05-10-2008, 12:07 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kaponelb

lol thats what i bought with my irsmoney got it yesterday c&L intake and a xcal 2
I got my $600 direct deposit from the IRS yesterday also. Still debating if I really want to get a tuner & intake now. So many mods I want to do and don't know which ones to do first.

Quick Reply: Xcalibrator 3?