Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang exhaust is better with cats.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default Mustang exhaust is better with cats.

Roberts Automotive in North Charleston, the mustang shop that I frequent informed me that our engine is actually better with stock cats. He said the engine wants back pressure and that free flowing exhaust will rob you of lower end torque but you will gain it in the 5,000 rpm range. Like $hit who drives at 5000 rpms? I thought I lost a little when I got the Mac Axle backs and maybe I didn't but now I do know I will forget about a pro chamber or cat-less x -or h-pipe. He said you could get the pro chamber with cats but it would be pricier however the sound isn't going to be as noticeable unless the cats go. Everyone who already knows this than cool however if you didn't know I thought youshould. I hear people complaining all the time about those X-Pypes with no cats, on how they leak and so forth. Maybe leaving alone is better. I do like my Macs and I wanted more sound but now I'm thanking maybe I should have went with amuffler that includes more back pressure if there is such an animal and sounds good? Also I was informed before unless you have forced induction you aren't going to see much difference with Long tube headers either. As everyone knows now the shortys aren't even observed as actual horsepower gains for the S-197s.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang exhaust is better with cats.

I just don't see how back pressure is a good thing. Back pressure = more work load on the engine.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Well to be honest this isn't the first time I have heard that we do better with cats.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:29 AM
SonicBlue05GT
4th Gear Member

i think these cars without cats sound like old tractors trying to mate with crop dusters

the LS1 has very, very close sound to it.

shame they can't sound like the 99-04s [&:]
Old 05-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Christ that's the sound I want is the 2-valve. I drove the 2-valve with flow masters and man it's pure rock n' roll but interesting enough it wasn't as quick as the 3-valve. These are considering both cars are stock.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:35 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

Christ that's the sound I want is the 2-valve. I drove the 2-valve with flow masters and man it's pure rock n' roll but interesting enough it wasn't as quick as the 3-valve. These are considering both cars are stock.
my borlas sound great with a prochamber no rasp weed whacker, just deep loud roar...i'll take that along with my acceleration over a 2V. 2V's sound like pure sex but my 3V doesn't sound bad at all.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:41 AM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

I'm happy with the gains I got from my O/R midpipe. It sounds good too.

Hey piggysmallz, have you heard the stingers with Pypes O/R H in person? if so, how does it compare to your setup with the prochamber? is it worth the upgrade?
Old 05-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

PiggySmallz do you have any opinion on your performance? Do you have the pro chamber with cats or without? I like to hear your answer sir.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:50 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

rshamekh: yes i've heard them with an O/R H. I helped a buddy install it on his car with stingers. IMO they both sound great. Mine is a little deeper but his is slightly louder. You can't go wrong either way. I also get no trumpeting, but I have an auto tranny so I'm not sure if that changes anything. I have to be honest and say there is a small leak in this thing that I can't get rid of. It's barely noticeable and was a lot worse, but once I hear something like this it drives me crazy haha.

Daniel60: I didn't really feel a difference in performance. I installed the prochamber a week before intake and tune. It felt the same, if I did lose anything it was minimal. My prochamber has no cats
Old 05-02-2008, 10:58 AM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

Nice! Didn't know the prochamber gets rid of the trumpeting, I might think of upgrading to it.
I have an auto tranny too btw. I don't think it has to do with trumpeting though, because my setup trumpets at high rpms.

Quick Reply: Mustang exhaust is better with cats.