Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O/R Prochamber w/Boomtubes-First Impressions-Updated with vid

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:11 PM
rtredline
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: O/R Prochamber w/Boomtubes-First Impressions

O/R PROCHAMBER FTW!!! Best exhaust mod available in my opinion....
Old 05-04-2008, 11:16 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine

BTW.....that's a monster box of Frosted Flakes!
LOL That's for the kids.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:30 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2007CalSpec

BTW.....that's a monster box of Frosted Flakes!
LOL That's for the kids.

Probably cost as much as the prochamber!
Old 05-05-2008, 10:10 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Got my prochamber in this morning!

It's very difficult to get the down pipes to fit into the slip joint.

I'll be installing it tomorrow.

I looked inside the chamber and noticed that the rear pipes are like the back 2 inch part of an x-pipe, but the front pipes feed in straight like the front half inch of an H-pipe.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:40 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

My down pipes slipped on pretty easily. You might need to widen the mouth of the pipes on the prochamber just a bit.

The fun part was trying to slip the prochamber onto the hangers and into the down pipes at the same time. It was tough working under a car on jack stands and trying to manuever the prochamber into position. I mounted the down pipes first and then the prochamber. You might want to do it differently and mount the prochamber onto the hangers first and then use the oem band clamps to connect it to the over axle pipes. After that, slip on the down pipes and bolt them up to the manifold. Might be easier that way. Let me know how the install goes and also if you get that weird "VRRRRR" noise around 1k rpm when you test it.Never heard anything like that before. I wonder if it's unique to all prochambers. I'm sure everything isnice and tight in my exhaust system too. I double checked all mounting bolts/clamps.

One more thing: Did you notice if your prochamber was slightly crooked when they welded it to the pipes? When you stand the prochamber up on the rear pipes you can see the box is tilted slightly.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:04 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

My down pipes slipped on pretty easily. You might need to widen the mouth of the pipes on the prochamber just a bit.

The fun part was trying to slip the prochamber onto the hangers and into the down pipes at the same time. It was tough working under a car on jack stands and trying to manuever the prochamber into position. I mounted the down pipes first and then the prochamber. You might want to do it differently and mount the prochamber onto the hangers first and then use the oem band clamps to connect it to the over axle pipes. After that, slip on the down pipes and bolt them up to the manifold. Might be easier that way. Let me know how the install goes and also if you get that weird "VRRRRR" noise around 1k rpm when you test it.Never heard anything like that before. I wonder if it's unique to all prochambers. I'm sure everything isnice and tight in my exhaust system too. I double checked all mounting bolts/clamps.

One more thing: Did you notice if your prochamber was slightly crooked when they welded it to the pipes? When you stand the prochamber up on the rear pipes you can see the box is tilted slightly.
Wow, I bet it was nearly impossible to install that way. I've always put the midpipe together before putting it in the hangers.

My prochamber is ever so slightly tilted.

I bought some U-clamps to use instead of those band clamps the prochamber came with. I've had bad experiences with the band clamps putting a sharp indention in pipes.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:46 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Wow, I bet it was nearly impossible to install that way. I've always put the midpipe together before putting it in the hangers.

My prochamber is ever so slightly tilted.

I bought some U-clamps to use instead of those band clamps the prochamber came with. I've had bad experiences with the band clamps putting a sharp indention in pipes.
I guess I could've assembled the prochamber & down pipes before putting it on the car. Didn't think about that. lol I figured it would be too cumbersome to manuever if everything was assembled so that's why I did it in sections.

Whew! I feel better knowing I'm not the only one with a tilted chamber. Now I wonder why they welded it that way. Hmmm

I just used the two clamps it came with to connect the prochamber to the down pipes. Works fine for me. When I had the prochamber up on the hangers, I realized theprochamber's pipediameter was exactly the same as the over axle pipes and wondered how the heck I was going to connect them. I didn't even notice that the stock H-pipe was also the same diameter. Frustrated me for a moment and thought I was gonna have to get them welded together. It's not a slip fit where one pipe diameter is smaller than the other. That's when I noticedthe OEM band clamp was designed to connect twosimilar diameter pipes and acts as a seal between the two. DOH!

By the way, my check engine light just came on today. Not sure how many miles Iput on beforethis happened. Maybe over 50 miles. Can't wait to get that tuner & CAI so I can turn off the O2's.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:10 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

The sleeve clamp used on the midpipe/tailpipe connection is great! The Bassani pipe I had used a slip-joint there, but it was extremely difficult to install and uninstall because you had to push the tailpipes back as far as you could and shove the x-pipe forward as far as you could to get the tailpipe inside the slip-joint. It was extremely frustrating.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:13 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

I might be selling my boomtubes in a few weeks in favor of the Pypes mid muffler system. The boomtubes with o/r prochamber trumpets a bit in the high rpm range when you punch it. A lot of people love the boomtubes and my opinion is I think they're great if you don't have an off road setup. I have no plans to install cats because I love the sound volume at idle that catless provides so I need to get rid of the boomtubes and I'm keeping the o/r prochamber. I'm thinking of selling the boomtubes for $100 when I'm ready to sell them.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:14 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Come one...get stingers.....you know you want them......give in.......Borla Borla Borla borla borla.......

Quick Reply: O/R Prochamber w/Boomtubes-First Impressions-Updated with vid