Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O/R Prochamber w/Boomtubes-First Impressions-Updated with vid

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 05:53 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Default O/R Prochamber w/Boomtubes-First Impressions-Updated with vid

I finished the install of my O/R Prochamber to go with my Boomtubes today. I started around 7am and didn't finish until about noon. After the install, I had trouble realigning the Boomtube tips againand got it to a satisfactory levelbut not perfect. One tip sticks out more than the otherby 4/16". [:@]This was no 1-2 hr job as some would say. Took me 5 hrs because of the little unforeseen things that got in the way.

Anyway, on first startup I could already smell the exhaust. Stinks! Reminds me of the goodol' muscle cars I used to drive. Wanna make your S197 not only look retro but smell retro? Get an off road pipe! [8D]

At idle,the sound is a bit louder than just Boomtubes alone and a bit deeper, although not as deep as I thought it would be. I still like itthough. It's definitely louder when punching it. Everytime I step on the gas from a stop, and starting around 1,000 rpm, there's a weird "VRRRRR" sound coming from underneath where the Prochamber sits. The sound lasts a couple of seconds. My only guess is it's the soundfrom the sudden rush of gases into the chamber when you initially step on the pedal from a stop. Note that this only happens at a stop and not when you floor it during cruising. There seems be less torque down low with the Prochamber. When I had the stock H-pipe I could feel the car pull right away when I step on it but with the Prochamber there seems to be less pull until around 2,500-3,000 rpm. I'm sure that when I get a tuner and CAI that this would be corrected. Above 3,000 rpm the car felt quickerand really screams. I love the sound. It's raw yet deep. I'll try to get a sound clip/video soon.

Stock H-pipe & cats next to O/R Prochamber

Here's a short clip
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...V03995_new.flv

Old 05-03-2008, 06:14 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Default RE: O/R Prochamber w/Boomtubes-First Impressions

If you want it deeper get a set of LTs. I have the same set up but with Mac LTs too and it is really deep.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:53 PM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

i get the same sound from my prochamber lol it drives me nuts. Sounds like a damn leak
Old 05-03-2008, 07:07 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sailing220

If you want it deeper get a set of LTs. I have the same set up but with Mac LTs too and it is really deep.
I'd get longtubes but the install/removal is too much hassle and I want to be able to quickly change back to stock in case I need to do a smog check when the time comes.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:41 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Drove the car some more today and man I love the sound more and more! Inside the cabin you can hear the rumble. I've noticed more people turn to look and listen. There were 6 guys standing outside a house in my neighborhood just chatting and they all turned in my direction and looked as I backed out of the driveway. One of them said "Hey, what's up." I don't even know the guy. Hahaha

I said earlier that the "VRRRRR" sound occurs only at 1k rpm from a stop. Well...I've noticed it occurs anytime the car isat 1k rpm on deceleration and when on the gas; not just starting from a stop.

I thought about adding high flow cats before when I was planning to get the O/R Prochamber but now I'm not sure if I want to do that.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:04 PM
06Redfire3V
5th Gear Member

Put up some videos!!!
Old 05-04-2008, 10:06 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Glad you got your stuff installed and are enjoying it. Hopefully my prochamber will arrive tomorrow so I can install it on Tuesday...with high-flow cats.

When I had my offroad H-pipe, there was a leaking type noise under the center console, but it's because of the improved flow. It sounded like an old Ford truck ticking to me. I believe the prochamber has baffles inside the chamber, and I'm sure there is some noise as the air passes through. We'll see how it goes with my prochamber-hf-cats experiment.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:07 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

BTW.....that's a monster box of Frosted Flakes!
Old 05-04-2008, 10:59 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine

Glad you got your stuff installed and are enjoying it. Hopefully my prochamber will arrive tomorrow so I can install it on Tuesday...with high-flow cats.

When I had my offroad H-pipe, there was a leaking type noise under the center console, but it's because of the improved flow. It sounded like an old Ford truck ticking to me. I believe the prochamber has baffles inside the chamber, and I'm sure there is some noise as the air passes through. We'll see how it goes with my prochamber-hf-cats experiment.
I didn't notice any baffles when I looked inside the prochamber. Lookinginside you can see the front pipes are welded flush with the chamber while the rear pipes stick into the chamber a couple of inches.

Can't wait to hear the prochamber with high flow cats!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:07 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i would leave the exhaust how it is, if you put the hi flo cats or resonatorson it will be more quiet. just my .02

Quick Reply: O/R Prochamber w/Boomtubes-First Impressions-Updated with vid