Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default Rear rattle

So I have this noise. Been there since I bought the car (2nd owner). It's coming from the rear of the car and sounds kind of like a ticking noise. Like a part of the car is rubbing against something else. Comes up every time I go over a bump in the road, even a small one.

I've had the rear seats down with people riding back there listening. Sounds very much like it's an interior rattle and coming from the rear parcel shelf area towards the passenger side of the car. Possibly up in the pillar. No matter what we push against it won't quit.

This problem was there before I put the boomtubes on. I had it in to the dealer and they fixed it but the problem came back in a few weeks. It took their body shop 4 days to get it solved the first time. Apparently they didn't get to the bottom of it. I was never clear on exactly what it was they did to fix it though I know some dynamat was applied and they tightened everything down. They had to pull the interior apart almost completely in the back of the car.

I'm considering taking it back in because I can hear this noise now even with my new exhaust if I have the windows up and my radio is off. There are other noises but this one just drives me crazy for some reason.

I'm thinking about giving up on this if the dealer can't solve it permanently the second time around. Do you guys think I'm being to picky? The way I see it this is a Ford not a Ferrari but it's still got less than 10K on it and this sorta thing shouldn't come up for a while yet. It's not like the car is 10+ years old and seen 10 winters.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:06 AM
creekdog2000

Default RE: Rear rattle

Same problem I had. It used to bug the crap out of me. I decided to fix it while I had the whole rear interior torn out for the SHR Louver install. The rattle comes from the seatbelt rolly up thingys. The easiest way to get to them is to completely take out the rear seats and trim peices. This will give you access to the shelf cover that is under the rear window. Once I had all of that off, I used Dynamat on both sides of the seat belt things. I reinstalled everything and the problem was fixed.