Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started my quest to find the water leak on my own...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 08:38 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Started my quest to find the water leak on my own...

ORIGINAL: aircare84

That was mine in those pics, I've had a few good rains & a few washings since I sealed up the grommet & haven't noticed any more moisture yet, so hopefully it's cured. I also sealed up where the antenna runs through as well for good measure. The cowl drains are right above & most of the water runs down & around the grommet.
My dealer is a small town, & the 'water leak' guy is is only in every other Tuesday for 2 hrs, figured it would take more of my time going there than the hour or so I spent myself.

Will have to look into the drivers side as well, but I've not yet had even any dampness on the drivers side myself.

I used an aircraft sealer called Pro-Seal myself, it's usually good for about 20yrs. We use it for fuel cells, etc.
Your local dealer has a "leak guy" too?LOL Mine is there on Thursdays! I must say though, he spent a half day on my car, and it was fixed. So far so good, two weeks later, no water on the passenger floor, knock on wood! I thought I was free and clear of this leak until a month ago, I was surprised, a year and a half, and 17k miles later the leak developed. When I picked it up, they told me not to wash it for 24 hrs. I didn't get details because the person on the phone didn't know, just that it was done, then I picked the car up after hours.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:39 PM
skyflier1971

richmod,

I think it's awesome that you are taking the time to solve this own your own. (why do I get the feeling that you have already put more effort into this problem than any dealership?)

I don't have this issue with my car, but reading all the stories of others that have it really scares me. Keep up the good work. I wish you luck.

skyflier1971
Old 05-05-2008, 08:51 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JimsGT

Your local dealer has a "leak guy" too?LOL Mine is there on Thursdays! I must say though, he spent a half day on my car, and it was fixed. So far so good, two weeks later, no water on the passenger floor, knock on wood! I thought I was free and clear of this leak until a month ago, I was surprised, a year and a half, and 17k miles later the leak developed. When I picked it up, they told me not to wash it for 24 hrs. I didn't get details because the person on the phone didn't know, just that it was done, then I picked the car up after hours.
My dealer's leak guy is there everyday EXCEPT Thursday, so they must see alot of them.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:47 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Try the place where the door wiring comes into the body right above the SJB.
There is s questionable wiring grommet there also.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:09 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

That's one of the places I shoved a rag (see pics above). That grommet is definitely not intended to be water tight like the one in the firewall. It has slits in it and is very loose. It's really just there to keep the wire from rubbing against the metal. If water is entering there, the grommet isn't the problem - the water getting to that grommet in the first place would be the problem.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:27 AM
~Nicole~

Wish I'd seen some of these threads on this problem before now . . . just bought a '06 and discovered some mold in the carpet and minor water damage on the passenger side. Dealer said someone probably just left the window open when it rained or did a sloppy detail job and that they'd replace the carpeting for me. Kind of hard to believe a Ford dealer didn't realize this was a more major problem, guess they thought I wouldn't do my research on it! Thanks for your post.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:27 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Never to trust a dealer Nicole...
They lie best with women too.
No offense girl.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:27 AM
jet21
1st Gear Member

richmod, if you are still under warranty why not take it to the dealer and let them fix it. I know many dealers don't fix things right the first, second and third times but if you stir up enough dust they should, in the end, find and fix it. Your car is an 06. Did you just discover this leak recently? Do you think it was always leaking but you never noticed it or do you think it just began leaking now?

I have a 2008 mustang. Just got it 10 days ago. Parked in my garage. I hope I am not going to be plagued with these leak problems. When some heavy rain is expected I'm going to park it in my driveway and keep my fingers crossed. If I discover a leak I'll be on the horn to the deal complaining about it and taking it back as many times as it takes to get it fixed.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:09 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jet21

richmod, if you are still under warranty why not take it to the dealer and let them fix it. I know many dealers don't fix things right the first, second and third times but if you stir up enough dust they should, in the end, find and fix it. Your car is an 06. Did you just discover this leak recently? Do you think it was always leaking but you never noticed it or do you think it just began leaking now?

I have a 2008 mustang. Just got it 10 days ago. Parked in my garage. I hope I am not going to be plagued with these leak problems. When some heavy rain is expected I'm going to park it in my driveway and keep my fingers crossed. If I discover a leak I'll be on the horn to the deal complaining about it and taking it back as many times as it takes to get it fixed.
You live long enough, you realize that the old saying "if you want something done right, do it yourself'" is 100% accurate. I don't have the time or desire to make repeated trips to the dealer. Plus, they've already gouged and subsequently replaced one of my rims while in for service (and I mean GOUGED, not small scratches)so I'm not exactly comfortable with them removing my fender/cowl cover/etc. My plan is to try to fix it myself, and if I can't, then I'll reluctantly take it to the dealer. It's not like this is complicated - you don't have to be a mechanic to do the stuff in the TSB. IfI can't fix it, then hopefully the infoI gather from trying will help them be more focused in their efforts rather than taking my whole car apart and risking secondary dumba$$ damage.

I have an 06, andI didn't find the leak until a bit over 24,000 miles. I was aware of the problem and I did put my hand under the carpet mat through the fuse panel to check, but never felt any dampness. One day a noticed a wet spot on the carpet, pulled the kick-panel trim, and found this:

I have other pics that show droplets all on/around/above the fuse box (SJB). I never had buckets of water soaking the carpet like others have, so it's probable that this was going on all along behind the trim andI didn't notice it because it wasn't bad enough to soak my carpet. If you want to be SURE you don't have a leak, you must remove the kick panel trim and look after a good hard rain. (It's easy to remove: pull up on the rocker panel trim until it pops up, then just pull out on the kick panel trim - it's all just held in with clips).

I don't consider this issue a MAJOR one unless it's ignored. I mean, how hard can it be to find how water goes from point A to point B? Seems to me it's just a matter of time, diligence, and problem-solving skills, all of whichI have more of thanmost dealer servive techs IMO.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:45 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: richmod

ORIGINAL: 157db

That's one of the places I shoved a rag (see pics above). That grommet is definitely not intended to be water tight like the one in the firewall. It has slits in it and is very loose. It's really just there to keep the wire from rubbing against the metal. If water is entering there, the grommet isn't the problem - the water getting to that grommet in the first place would be the problem.
Open the passengers side door and look at the area where the
rubber grommet/wire tube comes from the door and enters the
cabin. Check that area for correct complete seal installation.
Its double body wall tll have to be checked there and it will
have to be checked from the outside for proper installation
and sealing. Mine was dislodged and could have been partially
leaking there. I used some mastic tape to 100% seal her there
but the leak still persists. Seems like there are lots of possabilities
of leaks locations, but I have yet to find the one thats actually leaking.
Try covering up the cabin exhaust vents in the trunk and using the
"pressurize the cabin to find the leak" technique outlined in the LEAK TSB..

ORIGINAL: richmod

I don't consider this issue a MAJOR one unless it's ignored. I mean, how hard can it be to find how water goes from point A to point B? Seems to me it's just a matter of time, diligence, and problem-solving skills, all of whichI have more of thanmost dealer servive techs IMO.
I guess you have never mapped underground rivers in caves....
I mean how hard can that be. Point A to point B....

Quick Reply: Started my quest to find the water leak on my own...