Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford can't fix it - opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:01 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Ford can't fix it - opinions please

when I got my 06 gt, I tore it apart to undercoat it...one thing in the rear I found was the rubber spring insulator was not in position- the spring had almost cut thru it(never did replace it yet), never heard any noise, but maybe something to look at...
we picked up a 07 pony 2 weeks ago for the wife, hers had a interesting little issue- the rear 'strut' or whatever you want to call the vertical links that support the rear of the swaybar, and attach to the floorpan had broken off- the weld was minimal if ever there at all, was cleanly loose, just bumping metal to metal against the bushing end - maybe try pulling down on the swaybar(a few pounds will do it) to see if anythings detached...the welds on those links are mighty questionable looking.

My 85 camaro(bought new- my first brand new car) had a heavy rattle, dealer tore the car apart first trip(expected to find a full can of pop rolling around in the quarter or something- was pretty loud), didnt find a thing, took it back, they dropped the tank, looked inside for something rolling around- nothing...15 years later(noise never went away) I had the car up in the air stripping it to repaint- had up on stands, popped the wheels off, suspension hanging...closed the door after masking around something-'klunk'. hmm...started shaking stuff, finally- could repeat the noise! started looking around, here the front lower rear control arm bolt was loose from the factory, and the bolt would wallow around in the hole if you hit the right bump...after 60k miles, it had elongated the hole about 1/8", welded some heavy washers over the area, tightened it up and viola- no more rattle. thank God GM used locking nuts on those points or I probably woulda had a heck of a wreck sooner or later had that bolt ever fell out...good luck!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Twice I've tried having someone drive around with the seats down sticking their head back under the parcel shelf. This is more or less in the trunk. Both times they were unable to pinpoint the source of the noise. They could tell where it was coming from in a general sense but not exactly. Both times the car was at the Ford body shop I took one of their techs on a test drive with that back seat down so that they could get a clear indicator exactly what noise I was talking about and where it was coming from (in the general sense). They took the car on several test drives in the process of troubleshooting this and trying to fix it. To no avail.

I tend to agree that a buyback is unlikely in this situation. I would be willing to discuss other options such as a trade in on a 08 GT. But I would want to get close to what I paid for the car back in February less the mileage I've put on it. I paid 21750 for it in February and have put 2000 miles on the car.

I won't have a chance to see the Ford rep until sometime in late June at the earliest because that is when he returns to my area for another visit.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:26 AM
rlh6805
1st Gear Member

Not original owner = no buyback .
Old 05-09-2008, 09:08 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

I have the exact sameticking - just started a few months ago. I also have an identical type tick coming from my driver door jamb area (see my thread here: https://mustangforums.com/m_4754658/tm.htm). If I pull on the door trim at the top toward me (anywhere along the length of the window), it goes away. It's not the window because ifI press on that it doesn't change. it's not the usual door issues (behind the handle, behind the arm rest) because I've addressed those before with foam, and manipulating them now doesn't help. I have tried to isolate the source with no luck. I can actually reproduce the tick by pulling back and forth on the mentioned trim ONLY WITH THE DOOR CLOSED, so it has to be in the door jamb area somewhere. Since puliing on the door trim helps, I actually just have a rubber foot thingy wegded between the door trim and rubber molding in the door jam area temporarily and that elimates 95% of it - only hear it now over very large bumps. It was constant before. I'll find it someday whenI have more time.

Ibring this up because, as mentioned, I hear an identical type tick coming from somewhere near or behind the back seat passenger side. I haven't looked into it yet, but the first thing I'll do is check all plastic trim and molding inthat area.

Honsestly, with the radio on I can't hear any of this, so evenI can't find it, no biggie.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:25 AM
bg_lee
1st Gear Member

Mee TOOOO...https://mustangforums.com/m_5020167/tm.htm...I noticed it this weekend...I first thought mine might be the saftey release in the trunk tapping...but it is strapped down...mine sounds like it is in the trunk or something...it is annoying as hell!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:27 AM
bg_lee
1st Gear Member

woops my link didn't work...
Old 05-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

My roomate's 07 GT is perfect. No ticking, tapping, rattling, vibrating, etc.. Pisses me off.

I doubt it's a plastic molding since Ford has removed all of that when they tore the back end apart trying to fix this.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:37 AM
bg_lee
1st Gear Member

I plan on getting under mine this weekend and try to find that rattle...It is very annoying...hope ya find yours...if you do...let me know what it was will ya...
Old 05-09-2008, 09:53 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Hey man, I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but really.. My car makes ALL sorts of strange squeaks and rattles here and there.. Just turn the radio up. You bought a $25k american-made muscle car, not a $50k european luxury sedan. If the noise isn't a safety issue, then why all the irritation over it?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:56 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I have a rattle that comes from the rear too. I don't think it's the same thing your describing, but mine is a piece of plastic in the latch on the back of the rear seats.

Quick Reply: Ford can't fix it - opinions please