Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Milage Help.............Maybe

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 05:15 AM
davisr014
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel Milage Help.............Maybe

I wish I was getting those MPG figures. I get 18-19 using the dash indications with an average speed of about 28 MPH. When I made a cross country trip earlier this year I got 24.6 on the computer with a 26.3 hand calculated average, this was with an average speed of ~70MPH.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:12 AM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

I finally started going slow enough to try and get better gas mileage. Just driving slower and letting everyone pass me has made a huge difference. I used to average 12-14mpg city and some highway. I used to speed a lot and race all the time. Now I slowly take off from stop lights and don't go over 70 on the interstate. It really gets me to where I'm going no faster than when I speed. Since traffic always slows you down eventually. I'll have to start using the cruise control though and see if that helps..think my computer says I'm getting like 22 mpg now.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:37 AM
AshTang
1st Gear Member

Dont forget your tires.

Properly inflated tires can add greatly to your fuel economy, not to mention it keeps the heat down and prevents premature failure.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Elwood
2nd Gear Member

Jeeze I gotta slow down a bit. I think the last timeI hand calulated mileage I got like 18-19 (Mix of nice driving and fun driving, basically all city). Of course, I can hardly say I get any highway mileage, because there are no properly driven highways here. The Deerfoot is the only one in Calgarywithout out traffic lights and it is basically rush hour all the time. It goes from 2 lanes to 5 lanes to 3 lanes, etcand nobody knows how to merge... [:@]

Anyhow nice right up. My goal is to get at least 21 witha decent mix of nice and/or fun driving.We'll see what happens.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:23 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

MPG'S always seem to come up in this forum.....i have heard everything from 35 mpg to 21 mpg.......did anyone buy a gt for gas mileage? i must say that the mpg are good on the s197 gt....actually, i am pleased that mine gets around 20 on average...i don't go by what the computer says...i use the mathematical way.....you can coast down a colorado hill and the computer will say 40 mpg!!!!! point is, these crazy 30 mpg posts are false, unless they lost 4 cylinders or drove down a mountain in neutral.......if you bought american muscle, drive it and IMO don't share your gas mileage data...share your time slips
Old 05-11-2008, 12:29 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

[align=left]I love it!

ORIGINAL: 1morepart.......if you bought american muscle, drive it and IMO don't share your gas mileage data...share your time slips
[/align]
Also I like your dog. I've got a black and white one. Coasting down a hill will not give you your average. From what I understand, you have to atleast have driven 5 miles after a reset to get a new average.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:40 PM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

Lose weight is a good idea, but as to the manual tranny...... Here are my findings.

First, according to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htmMustang mileage is
V8 Auto 15/22
V8 Manual 15/23

So as you can see you are talking about 1 mile per gallon different on highway, i would assume like me most people's driving is not all highway either.

DoI believe them, hell yes, I went from having a 2007 manual to a 2008 automatic and here are my findings, keep in mind my manual had 3:55 gears which probaly is why i got less highway miles. Both cars where done with 18 inch stock tires, andCAI.All these figures have been calculated with my normal driving habbits, city is mostly tooling around alexandria, VA/DC area with alot of traffic and stop and go lights.

Highway I calculated bygoing fromVA to East End of Long Island every three months, trip is 330 miles one way, driving mostly around 75 probaly 80% of the trip. Also note the highway miles I have listed below are not true highway, they were measured on the trip where probaly 90% of the trip is highway, 10% is going through toll boths or dealing with traffic at the beginning of DC when i leave and hitting NY and going on I278 which even at 2AM has some traffic but no stop and go.

2007manual 15 City 22 highway computer calculated. (well broken in, over 9000 miles on car)
2008 Auto 15 city 24 highway computer calculated. (did my first trip with 1300 miles on car)

With both cars, just my normal dailydriving locally of a mix of mostly city with about 10% highway I am averaging 17 and sometimes 18 MPG.

One other thing I have noticed about stick drivers, they usually get worse gas mileage for two reasons, one stick is more fun to drive, you are more tempted to race through the gears. Also I know alot of people that can drive stick, just not as efficient as they should be so in the long run they get worse gas mileage then an automatic.

ORIGINAL: Whistle

More suggestions, lose weight and drive a manual tranny...

Cold air does give you more power, but the extra drag due to higher density air is more of a detriment to your gas mileage, than the benefit the extra power provides. Below 55 mph aerodynamics aren't much of a factor, above 55 mph aerodynamics become a much larger factor.

Yes I'm a mechanical engineer, andyes I design vehicles for a living.

Most of the other stuff is good.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Whistle

This whole thread assumes any of us actually have self control in our cars.

BLAH! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MORE THROTTLE!!! :-)
Old 05-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

I bought a GT/CS in October of last year. I have only added a Granatelli CAI and use Mobil 1 oil. I didn't add the CAI until about a month after owning it and didn't start using Mobil 1 until I hit 6000 miles. I have been driving it a lot because I have been fixing up my home to sell and that is 125 miles from where I'm at now. The first 2 months I got around 25 mpg but I didn't pay much attention on how I was driving.

It seems to have slowly gotten better gas mileage over time. Partly to me driving around 60 mph on the interstate on that 125 mile trip each time I go. I get right around 30 mpg at that speed with maybe 5% of that trip being city driving. When I go 70-75 mph the gas mileage cuts back to about 25 mpg. I honestly think it would be lower if I didn't have the CAI and Mobil 1 oil. But the main thing is how I drive. The main point is, yes, I do get 30 mpg in my V8 Mustang on trips over 100 miles mostly on interstate.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

When I do my 125 mile trip back to fix my home up to sell, I floor it to get off the ramp to the interstate just so I can blow it out and not have the engine running at the same rpms for so long. I must say, I do love how it feels and sounds when I floor it. And if I turn off traction control it gets a lot longer fishtail shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Quick Reply: Fuel Milage Help.............Maybe