Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shelby hood pins, help me decide...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:10 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Shelby hood pins, help me decide...

Heah Mike,

Since you've already installed these, a few questions...
[ul][*]Did you remove your hoodliner when installing your hoodpins?[*]what did you mark your drill spots with?[*]did you drill from under the hood?[/ul]
Thanks! Mark
Old 05-10-2008, 11:04 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdg

Heah Mike,

Since you've already installed these, a few questions...
[ul][*]Did you remove your hoodliner when installing your hoodpins?[*]what did you mark your drill spots with?[*]did you drill from under the hood?[/ul]

Thanks! Mark
Hey Mark,
No, I did not remove the hoodliner, but I would suggest doing so. When drilling from underneath, shavings of the aluminum will fall under it. Remove it, and cover your engine bay....

I did drill the pilot hole from the underside, but then drilled from above following the small pilot hole....

I used a very small dab of grease on the tip of the pin, lowered the hood, and transferred the grease to the hood....That being said, I would highly suggest another path. Take the extra 5 minutes to remove your grille completely. By doing so, when you lower the hood and the pins contact the hood, you will have enough room to basically trace the tip of the pin where it contacts the hood. Keep in mind that the hood is lowering on a pivot, and not straight down. Combined with the angle of the hood, this part can become challenging. The hood is two layers thick, and at the spot where you are drilling for the pins, there is about a quarter inch or so gap between the layers. Ideally, what you want to do, is get the layer on the underside of the hood completely cut for the pin before making the pilot hole in the top skin layer. This will better assure proper drilling of the top layer....

Mike
Old 05-10-2008, 03:12 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the tips Mike! I ordered the black Shelby pins from Blue Oval Indistries last night. Not wanting to butcher the hell out of my radiator cover, I went ahead and ordered the pre-cut radiator cover from PartsCheap. I'll find use for the old cover, maybe as a serving tray on the patio. Will post pictures when it's finished.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:06 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdg

Thanks for the tips Mike! I ordered the black Shelby pins from Blue Oval Indistries last night. Not wanting to butcher the hell out of my radiator cover, I went ahead and ordered the pre-cut radiator cover from PartsCheap. I'll find use for the old cover, maybe as a serving tray on the patio. Will post pictures when it's finished.
Anytime...
I got mine thru Blue Oval as well. Took about a week or so out here to the left coast....I cheated and had the maint. guys at work cut my cover for me.

Look forward to the pics, just take you time, and it will be fine. While you are waiting for the pins to arrive, I would highly suggest running down to Lowes or Home Depot, and picking up a couple of packages of #6 x 1/2 inch panhead Stainless Steel screws. The screws that come with the pins are crappy zinc coated screws, that have been known to snap quite easily....
Old 05-12-2008, 12:01 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

IGOT THE sHELBY BLACK ONES. FOLLOWS MY CARS THEME NICELY.I PAID MORE THAN MOST HOOD PINS OUT THERE BUT THE QUALITY SHOWS. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. JUST EXERCISE GREAT CAUTION AND PATIENCE WHEN DRILLING.
SORRY FOR THE ALL CAPS, I REALIZED IT AFTER I FINISHED TYPING AND IM NOT ABOUT TO RETYPE[8D]

Old 05-12-2008, 01:28 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Thanks all, I'm really looking forward to the install. PartsCheap notified this morning that the radiator cover I ordered is on backorder from Shelby for two weeks. Oh well....
Old 05-12-2008, 03:15 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

do they sell the black ones without the shelby lettering?
Old 05-12-2008, 03:19 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

I don't believe so.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

if i were going to buy hoodlocks, i would wait until the KR comes out and buy the twist-lock kind that will be on those

but thats just me
Old 05-12-2008, 04:43 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Yeah, those are the ones I'd go for.
They're more better.

Quick Reply: Shelby hood pins, help me decide...